Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

741 results found

1. Swap "Meeting place and time" and "Leader's Notes" on trip listing

A frequent leader pain point is participants who obviously don't read the entirety of the trip listing before signing up and especially before requesting leader permission.

Most leaders will put instructions on information they want for leader permission in the "Leader's Notes" section, but many participants don't see it because it ends up hidden under the "More+" collapse link. Some leaders even make a point in ALL CAPS to try to get participants to click "More+".

I believe that swapping these two sections and making "Leader's Notes" the headline that doesn't get hidden would improve this situation and make it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Stop stripping line breaks from Leader Permission request comments section

Most people (myself included) when entering information for the leader in the permission request comment box, make an effort to format it as cleanly as possible with line breaks to organize provided information.

However, the code appears to strip all these line breaks from the text and drop a super messy blob of text in the request email that comes to leaders. This makes the leader's job unnecessarily harder because we have to mentally parse the blob back into the requester's intended presentation.

Could we please stop stripping the line breaks and preserve the intended format?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Course-Activity Late Cancellation Management

We have noticed that students are able to cancel from course-related activities after registration has closed. Some volunteers have requested a website improvement that would either prevent cancellations after registration date is closed, or better allow volunteers to manage this process. No-shows and late-cancellations have a big impact on volunteers' ability to successfully run programs.

Our tech team identified that the ability to cancel after registration closes is not a glitch, but rather, has always been the way the website has operated. Currently roster email notifications can be used to manage when students cancel from an activity roster, but this…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Remove web trackers from the web site

I recently observed that mountaineers.org had web trackers for

doubleclick.net
    Facebook.com
    Facebook.net

I dislike having my activity on the web survailed. Why should an advertising consortium or Facebook know what I'm doing on the mountaineers web site?

Do the members or the organization benefit from allowing these trackers? If not, please I would much prefer they not be on our web site.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Warning when you click "Copy E-mail Addresses" if you have private and public profiles checked

The Mountaineers has a policy that if you are emailing people with a profile set to Private, you should put them in BCC. It would be helpful if the site gave a warning pop-up when you have selected both public and private profiles and click "Copy E-mail Addresses" as the next logical step is that those emails get pasted into a "To" line.

The warning could simply remind leaders that they should put Private profiles in BCC and maybe link to the policy.

I'm not entirely sure if using the "Send E-mail" button will properly sort the emails into the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remove volunteer ages from Committee Meeting rosters

A few months ago the ages of volunteers started showing up in the rosters for committee meetings (see screenshot). I'm guessing this may have been added to support youth, but most adults consider their age to be private information.

Event rosters are viewable by anyone who has admin access, and it's common for many committee members to have admin access for various reasons. For this reason, committee rosters are basically public to the committee. Publishing everyone's ages does not seem appropriate.

This does not seem to be a problem specific to committee meetings. Most adults do not want the age…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide more detail for course-related activities in 'Manage Registration' signup box

Right now when you click on Manage Registration for a course related activity all you can see in the signup box is the name of the activity, the date, and a Request Leader Permission link. We have different mentors posting these activities for their students but the leader of the activity isn't visible in the signup box (plus the formatting is terrible). The students have to flip back and forth between the activity listing imbedded in the course and the Manage Registration box to know who they're signing up with. Would be great to have everything that a student might…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Map units in feet

Wouldn't it be cool if the maps on the website displayed elevation in feet rather than meters?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Org-wide Award Badges

We'd like to explore options for giving committee members the ability to self-administer org-wide award badges. Currently the only volunteers who directly manage badge rosters are branch admins for their award badges. That said, we have some award badges that are org-wide and we'll have to think about how we might allow a group of volunteers to manage that.

Example is the Climb Leader Emeritus badge: https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/badges/leader-badges/climb-leader-emeritus

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Progress  ·  0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Website access from Germany

The site seems slow from Germany.... I travel a lot but access from California is good. However from abroad it sometimes takes 3 minutes to load the homepage.
    Regards,
    Rolf

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add "Submit Incident Report" to Lodge stays

Add incident reporting button to lodge stays. Lodges have their own inherent dangers, like falling out of bunks, falling down stairs, sliding down hills out of control, or having a bench fall over on someone's foot while she vacuums.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Email Incident Report Link Instead of Deatils GH3753

For increased security, instead of sending all the details of an incident report, send a link to the incident report that was submitted. The incident report link should be sent to:

• Safety Committee Admins
    • Chair of sponsoring branch
    • Chair of sponsoring committee
    • Leader of activity
    • Report submitter
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

On Hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Safety  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Limit use of low contrast fonts

I have a big, but I think important ask. My vision is not crisp, in fact worse than that. In order to read text, I require fairly high contrast. When light grey font is used, it is a blur, even when enlarged, to me and others with less than acute, young eyes. The Mountaineers Templates use quite a lot of light grey font and it is not editable. When doing web design for the Mountaineers, could you please consider making it a point to use black font on light backgrounds or white on dark backgrounds so that we all can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Show plain text from PDFs instead of empty page with PDF link

Look at the results of this search: https://www.mountaineers.org/search#SearchableText=behavior&path=%2Fabout%2Fvision-leadership%2Fboard-of-directors%2Fboard-policies

Every single result is a link to a page that contains nothing but a PDF. This is lousy for SEO, which means you likely don't find what you're after using a search engine and it's also a lousy mobile experience. Extract the text from the PDFs and put it on the web page. Even badly formatted text is better than "only available in this PDF."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add profile link to roster

There is a companion issue that made names clickable in the roster on the website: https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/8764993-make-names-on-roster-open-their-profile-so-you-can

Here, I would like a column added to the CSV roster export with the link to someone's profile. There's currently a column for whether the profile is private or not, but no column with the actual profile link.

This would serve the same purpose as the clickable name. In Excel, it will detect that these are links and make them clickable. That makes it easier for me to navigate to someone's profile.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show enrolled courses in course roster CSV export

As a course administrator, I often need to know if students are enrolled in their co-requisite courses so I can send them appropriate reminders. In some cases, such as scrambling, we actually bump students off the roster who don't have or enroll in Wilderness Navigation before the course starts.

With the course roster CSV export, I can determine if someone has already completed Navigation. However, there's no way for me to know if someone has is enrolled in the course without manually going to every student's profile and checking their course list. This is as abysmally slow as it sounds.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add the option to have hosts notified by e-mail when people register for a lodge stay

I would like the ability for hosts to elect to receive E-mails when a new person registers or cancels a lodge stay.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Donor affinity checkboxes

Checkboxes to track donor affinity across major fundraising categories to ensure people can hear about the impact and opportunities that mean the most to them. For internal use only - no plone integration.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add the words " &/or Charts" to wording in "Routes/Places Recommended Maps"

Under Routes/Places tab it states: "Recommended Maps". Since salt water based trips use "Charts" rather than "Maps" I suggest making the statement read "Recommended Maps &/or Charts".

Some activities may use both a land based map and a water based chart so having " &/or" covers activities that only require a map or only require a chart as well as activities that require both a map and a chart.

This is a small issue, and it is certainly not critical however using the correct terminology improves the overall validity and accuracy of the website.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make horizontal scroll bar always visible on large rosters

I've mostly noticed this with events, but Jeff said it is true across all our rosters. It would be great to have the horizontal scroll bar always visible on the screen - for large rosters with more rows and columns than fit on a screen, you have to scroll down to scroll across, then go back up ... at which point you can't see the info in the leftmost column to know what you're looking for. It makes for a very clunky user experience trying to go back and forth between horizontal and vertical scrolling.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base