Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

45 results found

1. My Activities...More speed, please GH3433

It is taking such a long time now to post and edit activities, load pages, etc. I spend a lot of time waiting after pushing "Save" and "Edit" buttons. Sometimes, the system times out. Other times, it's not clear if pushing the Save and Edit buttons even worked. It is 10-15 seconds here and there, but it adds up when one is doing a lot of editing, posting, roster clean up, etc. Thank you.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We just made several changes aimed at improving website speed, particularly for loading the My Activities pages and searches like Find Activities.

For the My Activities, the page header and current/future activities should now load immediately (worst case in a few seconds). “Loading” is displayed while the past activities are being compiled. How long it takes to display them depends on how many there are, but load times should be much faster now.

To view your My Activities page, you might also need to refresh that page. With all the improvements, it’s probably also a good idea to clear your browser’s cache and then reload your My Activities page.

Please add a comment here if you’re having any issues or if the response time is still very slow. And please include the details: (1) a link to the page and (2a) how long it took to load that page (use…

2. Website Performance Improvements

In recent months it's been reported that at times, our website is slow to respond and also times out with a 503 or 502 error message.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Overall Status: Phases 1 to 4 are complete, and Phase 5 is in progress.

Phase 1

- Completed Jul 2022

- We implemented nine items aimed at improving our website’s performance, three more than we had previously identified. They have resulted in a modest increase in our website’s speed/response time, and should significantly reduce, if not nearly eliminated 502 and 503 "timeout" errors.

Phase 2

- Completed Aug/Sep 2022

- We migrated/updated our core content types from archetype to dexterity type. While it will not directly lead to any website performance improvements, this is an important step that gets us closer to a suite of updates that will give us a significant website performance increase.

Phase 3

- Completed Feb 2023

- We migrated our web forms from PFG (PloneFormGen) to EasyForm. Web forms include feedback surveys, leader applications, incident reports, etc. Like migrating our core content types, this will…

3. Make Header Only Toggle Between Publishing/Programs on Click GH2872

With the most recent 3.1 update to mountaineers.org, the header changed so that it's "responsive" when you mouseover either "The Mountaineers" or "Mountaineers Books". In the past, you had to click on one to toggle, and now the header menu will change if you mouseover (either on purpose or on accident).

As a super-user, this is frustrating because I often end up in the wrong environment on accident then have to revisit the header to get back to the proper menu items.

Please change it back to swap only on clicks.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Photo Captions and Credit for Images GH2473/2788/2789/2802

Give authors photo credit and add captions to image son our website. Just small text underneath the photo for a brief caption and photographer credit.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Date/Time Calendar widget a consistent format GH3662

Across the site I have discovered that the date/time calendar widget is not in the same format (some have Saturday/Sunday at the beginning/end of the week; others have Sat/Sun at the end of the week). In general this is fine, but when you're adding LOTS of activities for entire program year it's significantly more time consuming because you have to pay closer attention to which day you are clicking. And, there's a higher likelihood of choosing the wrong date because visually it is in a different location on each calendar widget. It would be preferred if all calendar widgets had…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Scheduled  ·  4 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Improve (Prevent) Header Switching When Viewing Content SD632

As a site visitor keep the universal header selection and global (section or subsite?) header (The Mountaineers or Mountaineers Books) displayed until I choose to switch so that I do not have a jarring navigation experience while I am browsing the site.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Open source the website and allow members to submit pull requests

Being based in Seattle, the Mountaineers is filled with software engineers, many of whom are chomping at the bit to contribute minor (and major) website changes that would remove some significant pain point or improve the experience. There seems to be a ton of low hanging fruit that could be knocked out fairly quickly by a set of people who are among the best coders in the world.

Obviously, we can't allow anyone to make whatever changes they want, but the model most open source projects use seems reasonable to follow, especially for a non-profit, volunteer run club. That is,…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When Copying a Blog Post Do NOT Copy Comments GH2497

When copying a blog post do not copy any associated comments. Sometime we copy a blog post as the starting point for a new blog post. One example is our "10 Essential Questions" blog.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Promo Codes: Dollar Amount Discount for "Entire" Shopping Cart SD410

As a site visitor allow me to use a promo code that gives me a dollar amount discount on everything in my shopping cart up to the total amount of items in my shopping cart that qualifies.

This could be quite useful for volunteer recognition.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Promo Code: Bulk Discount for Purchasing from a Series SD484

As a site visitor let me use a promo code to get a bulk discount when I purchase a bunch of items from the same series (e.g. books in the Day Hiking series or backpacking courses/clinics). So we define "series" as any group (or bundle) of items of any kind (books, courses, etc.) that have to be in the cart for the discount to be applied.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remove web trackers from the web site

I recently observed that mountaineers.org had web trackers for

doubleclick.net
    Facebook.com
    Facebook.net

I dislike having my activity on the web survailed. Why should an advertising consortium or Facebook know what I'm doing on the mountaineers web site?

Do the members or the organization benefit from allowing these trackers? If not, please I would much prefer they not be on our web site.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add Address Verification Service

What: Consider adding an address checker to the website to help manage number of bad addresses (incorrect unit, missing zip code, etc). This tool could help us verify/correct postal addresses.
    Why: Potentially important for decreasing amount of mail that is marked undeliverable and returned to the PC

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Phone Number Validation

I noticed in one of my activities that a member put their e-mail in the phone number field. This should not be allowed. Phone numbers should require validation to ensure that they satisfy the expected format.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Promo Codes: Bulk Discount SD332

As a site visitor let me use a promo code to get a bulk discount when I purchase a bunch of the same items or types of items (e.g. books, merchandise).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Promo Codes: Discounts that trigger when someone fulfills a requirement SD521

As a site visitor let me use a promo code to get a discount that applies when I hit certain prerequisites. For example, spend $100 get a 20% discount, or buy 6 books get free shipping.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Website access from Germany

The site seems slow from Germany.... I travel a lot but access from California is good. However from abroad it sometimes takes 3 minutes to load the homepage.
    Regards,
    Rolf

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Convert Branch Dashboards to Google Data Studio

With some new tools that allow us to automatically update a Google sheet from a Salesforce report and the tools available in Google Data Studio, we can convert the Branch Dashboards we built in Salesforce to Google Data Studio. This makes them easy to share with anyone who needs access without needing costly licenses.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Data request: How many people did we get outside?

submitting my formal data request to build a report to answer the question “how many people did we get outside?”

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Scheduled  ·  0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Road condition

It can be a little difficult to get a clear idea about road conditions from the activity description. It would be helpful if a section is added specifically for this purpose.

The description can include weather factors (such as snow, ice), road quality (fully paved, gravel, large potholes), and lastly type of cars preferred (accessible for all cars, accessible for 4WD, tire chains required).

This would help participants plan better, arrange carpools if needed. It would also reduce the need for organizers to respond to individual questions from participants regarding road conditions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion about creating a place to provide current road conditions. We already encourage our participants and leaders to submit trip reports from their adventures and they’re encouraged to “include info about trail, route, and waterway conditions, especially any hazards you may have encountered (or avoided) and anything that may be changing with the seasons or weather.” You can find the most recent trip reports by visiting our Routes & Places, finding your specific location of interest, and clicking on the blue tab for “Trip Reports” when you scroll down. Our partners at the Washington Trails Association (wta.org) also have robust trip reports where you can often find the most recent trip reports with road conditions.

20. Phone Hyperlink

Taking a phone call today from a member, they were frustrated that a when they viewed a phone number on mountaineers.org from their phone browser, they were not able to click on it and have it automatically call. They see this feature on other websites and would like to submit it for improvement for ours.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base