Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

34 results found

1. Provide more detail for course-related activities in 'Manage Registration' signup box

Right now when you click on Manage Registration for a course related activity all you can see in the signup box is the name of the activity, the date, and a Request Leader Permission link. We have different mentors posting these activities for their students but the leader of the activity isn't visible in the signup box (plus the formatting is terrible). The students have to flip back and forth between the activity listing imbedded in the course and the Manage Registration box to know who they're signing up with. Would be great to have everything that a student might…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Open source the website and allow members to submit pull requests

Being based in Seattle, the Mountaineers is filled with software engineers, many of whom are chomping at the bit to contribute minor (and major) website changes that would remove some significant pain point or improve the experience. There seems to be a ton of low hanging fruit that could be knocked out fairly quickly by a set of people who are among the best coders in the world.

Obviously, we can't allow anyone to make whatever changes they want, but the model most open source projects use seems reasonable to follow, especially for a non-profit, volunteer run club. That is,…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Installment Payment System for Donations

While we have monthly donations, we would like to request a payment installments specifically for donations that would have a start and end date that can be broken out by month or by quarter or any schedule identified by the donor. It may be similar to the proposal put forward for courses, however, will be different because this payment schedule would specific for an individual rather than a product.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add a menu option for "My Committees"

Currently users can get to their committee pages by going to "My Profile" and clicking on the appropriate link. This works fine for experienced website users. The logical place to look for your committees is through the "My Branch" page, but this is tedious and requires scrolling through all the committees and subgroups in the branch. Please add a menu option for "My Committees" that will take all users directly to a list of their committees (or even to the section of their profile with the links).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Warning when you click "Copy E-mail Addresses" if you have private and public profiles checked

The Mountaineers has a policy that if you are emailing people with a profile set to Private, you should put them in BCC. It would be helpful if the site gave a warning pop-up when you have selected both public and private profiles and click "Copy E-mail Addresses" as the next logical step is that those emails get pasted into a "To" line.

The warning could simply remind leaders that they should put Private profiles in BCC and maybe link to the policy.

I'm not entirely sure if using the "Send E-mail" button will properly sort the emails into the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add to Calendar Link in emails

When you receive an email for an activity or a course that you have signed up for, have an "add to calendar" link in the email

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add "Submit Incident Report" to Lodge stays

Add incident reporting button to lodge stays. Lodges have their own inherent dangers, like falling out of bunks, falling down stairs, sliding down hills out of control, or having a bench fall over on someone's foot while she vacuums.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add details to personal notification emails

Many activities (especially climbing) have specific notes from leaders that the activity is restricted to a specific group within the branch. This puts the participants in disbelief about finding climbs to go on.
    As climb leaders have gotten better at stating these restrictions on the activity page, having activity descriptions and leader notes added to the notification email would be highly appreciated by the member - so we can have a more informed decision to click on the link and reach out to the leader. This will reduce the traffic on the website and will improve the well-being of our…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Pop-up/dialogue reminder to check information when re-submitting youth forms

When youth forms expire and are in need of renewal, all guardians have to do is re-save information in order for the form to be current for the next 365 days. For program participants who have been a part of programming for a year or two, and might have changing medical, dietary, or transportation needs, this means that information is often outdated when shared with program managers and staff. (For example, a participant who was 6 when the forms were filled out may have new diagnoses or updated dietary preferences when they are 12 that have not been reported out…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Youth  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide a way to tell if leader has unread feedback

Currently, there is no indication if a participant has submitted feedback after a leader has viewed the feedback. Personally, I check for feedback a few days after the activity, and if someone adds feedback after that I probably won’t ever see it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Stop stripping line breaks from Leader Permission request comments section

Most people (myself included) when entering information for the leader in the permission request comment box, make an effort to format it as cleanly as possible with line breaks to organize provided information.

However, the code appears to strip all these line breaks from the text and drop a super messy blob of text in the request email that comes to leaders. This makes the leader's job unnecessarily harder because we have to mentally parse the blob back into the requester's intended presentation.

Could we please stop stripping the line breaks and preserve the intended format?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Remove web trackers from the web site

I recently observed that mountaineers.org had web trackers for

doubleclick.net
    Facebook.com
    Facebook.net

I dislike having my activity on the web survailed. Why should an advertising consortium or Facebook know what I'm doing on the mountaineers web site?

Do the members or the organization benefit from allowing these trackers? If not, please I would much prefer they not be on our web site.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Limit use of low contrast fonts

I have a big, but I think important ask. My vision is not crisp, in fact worse than that. In order to read text, I require fairly high contrast. When light grey font is used, it is a blur, even when enlarged, to me and others with less than acute, young eyes. The Mountaineers Templates use quite a lot of light grey font and it is not editable. When doing web design for the Mountaineers, could you please consider making it a point to use black font on light backgrounds or white on dark backgrounds so that we all can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Donor affinity checkboxes

Checkboxes to track donor affinity across major fundraising categories to ensure people can hear about the impact and opportunities that mean the most to them. For internal use only - no plone integration.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Clarify that "Add 3% to cover credit card fees" is only for donations

Consider adding some clarifying language or different shading to the script for the '3% for credit card fees' check box. Although it is clearly displayed in the donations section, folks often want to cover the fees regardless of it's for a donation or a course/activity/program fee, and it can be confusing when the cart total does not change. I suggest updating the below language to "Add 3% to over credit card fees (for donations only)."

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Event Tickets Timing-Out in Cart

The problem: Event rosters are not entirely accurate because if an individual adds a ticket to their cart and the cart times out, they are automatically moved to ‘canceled.’ Sometimes this is okay if the order of operations is such that the ticket times out and then after they register again. However, if it’s the other way around (purchase ticket, go to purchase another, times out) they show up as canceled where they should still stay registered. This seems to create duplicate entries on the event roster.

Why it matters: This has implications for staff and volunteers managing events because…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Display co-requisite badge status on course roster

As a course administrator, it becomes difficult to manage and check on every individual's requirements to be met for the graduation needs of the respective course. When courses require co-requisite badges in order to graduate, display the course roster with additional columns stating when the respective badge was awarded to an individual for each co-requisite badge. This will immensely improve the process for course administrators to check on verifying individuals' records before graduating them. Also, providing a great tracking tool to follow up on individuals needing more help with courses and such.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add badge expiry date to course roster export

Currently, the course roster downloads display all the badges an individual has earned whether it is expired or active. It would be good to know if the badge is still active and hence requesting a change to roster downloads to include an expiration date. This will help all the courses that require their students to have core-requisites badges to be current for their graduatation.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. demographics updates

I noticed that my demographic in my member profile had the wrong age group (unfortunately I continue to age). I only noticed it because I've been doing website testing today. Maybe there can be a prompt (or even a forcing function) for members to review their entire profile including preferences and demographics annually, as I'm sure other things change for members as well (marital status, activity interests, student status, etc). Maybe a button to go along with the waiver that forces them to scroll through their profile and select "I have reviewed and updated my profile" or something like that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Update webpage text for how to close an activity

On https://www.mountaineers.org/volunteer/schedule-manage/activities#closing-activities

it states 'When viewing the activity, click on the "Roster" button in the orange admin panel on the left side of the screen. Under "Set Activity Results", you can choose a Trip Result, then click the "Save" button.'

It seems that 'close activity' has been moved out of the Roster section, and into a 'Manage Activity' section on the right hand side of the page. The text should be updated to indicate that.

Thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1