Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

8 results found

1. View PDF files stored on the website in the browser

Allow PDF (and other browser viewable files) to be viewed in the browser.

The Seattle Sea Kayaking Committee is storing minutes as PDF documents. When you click on the file name (blue) what happens depends on the browser you are using. Some browsers (Firefox) allows the user to choose to download or view in a browser window. Other browsers (Safari and Chrome on Mac) always download the file.

If I just want to view the file, having it downloaded to my computer is inconvenient. Now I must navigate to the downloaded file, open it, and later decide if I want…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. More Naturalist Articles

Wildlife photography especially is effective at stretching newcomers to the outdoors beyond climbing and running.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Thanks for the suggestion. As a nonprofit and volunteer-led organization, all content is contributed on a volunteer basis and is a reflection of the interests and expertise of our membership. We do not currently have a wildlife specific photography group, however we do have an active photography committee which shares regular blogs about their trips. We also feature wildlife photography in a number of the books published by Mountaineers Books. If you’re interested in learning more, please contact the photography committee (https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/seattle-branch/committees/seattle-photography-committee) or you can volunteer to contribute your own wildlife photography content here: https://www.mountaineers.org/mountaineer-magazine/contribute).

3. Keep Me Logged In!

For the Mountaineers website when logging in there used to be a feature to check a check box that says "Remember Me" which would keep you logged in. Now that feature is no longer there and I keep getting logged out of the website, and have to keep logging back in which is a bit of an inconvenience and annoyance.

Can the Mountaineers add that feature back to the login so I can stay logged in and I'll have to keep logging in every time I visit the website?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Show plain text from PDFs instead of empty page with PDF link

Look at the results of this search: https://www.mountaineers.org/search#SearchableText=behavior&path=%2Fabout%2Fvision-leadership%2Fboard-of-directors%2Fboard-policies

Every single result is a link to a page that contains nothing but a PDF. This is lousy for SEO, which means you likely don't find what you're after using a search engine and it's also a lousy mobile experience. Extract the text from the PDFs and put it on the web page. Even badly formatted text is better than "only available in this PDF."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. RSS feed for Blog entries

An RSS feed is an easy way to allow readers to learn of and read blog entries without visiting the site. As it is, I don't remember to visit the site and check the blog often enough. My online reading is almost entirely through RSS feeds to the new sites and magazines I follow. Building an RSS feed is straightforward, does not have to display in the user interface, and requires no maintenance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Magnuson South Wall Climbing Reservations

This page has confused me a few times. The Seattle Park Department does not manage reservations. It would be nice to have updated information about the south wall here.

Open public use?
    Any reservation system?
    Bolted?
    Check for exclusive reservations, where?

https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/seattle-program-center/events/magnuson-reservation

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ptarmigan winter observations request

Goat Peak above Mazama had Ptarmigan in the 1980s when I used to lead cross-country helicopter assisted ski tours. The single nature article in the winter issue of the Mountaineer Magazine, which I get online so it's hard to read, requested this feedback. As a retired national park ranger-naturalist and heli-ski guide, of course I appreciate almost any nature content, and encourage more.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your support of the ptarmigan and citizen science efforts. While directly working with scientists is outside of the scope of our mission, we are happy to promote these efforts when possible. For that reason we published the ptarmigan citizen science article in our Winter 2020 issue of Mountaineer. That article was also turned into a blog which now lives on our website: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/citizen-science-white-tailed-ptarmigan-ghost-birds-of-the-winter-cascades. A link to the blog is cross posted in our Virtual Education Center as well to continue to encourage people to engage: https://www.mountaineers.org/courses/virtual-education-center#conservation-advocacy.

8. Org-wide Award Badges

We'd like to explore options for giving committee members the ability to self-administer org-wide award badges. Currently the only volunteers who directly manage badge rosters are branch admins for their award badges. That said, we have some award badges that are org-wide and we'll have to think about how we might allow a group of volunteers to manage that.

Example is the Climb Leader Emeritus badge: https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/badges/leader-badges/climb-leader-emeritus

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Progress  ·  0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base