Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

741 results found

1. Add an extra "are you sure you want to cancel" message for course cancellations

Add an additional dialogue box when you cancel from course that says "Are you sure you want to cancel" to avoid accidental cancellations.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

This has been completed. There is now a cancel link that does not look like a Submit style button from the Manage Registration window AND when you click that link you get an additional dialog box asking “Are you sure you want to cancel?”

2. Add AIARE Level 2 badge

Add an AIARE Level 2 badge for instructors who have higher level avalanche training.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Registration Date/Time for Cancelled Students should change GH1755

When someone drops from a course, update the registration date to reflect the date of cancellation. Currently the original registration date remains in that field. This makes is hard to track when individuals drop from the course.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

This is very difficult to add to our website, so we now send this information to our or CRM, so that we can help as needed with refund processing and informing you of cancellation status. Please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org, if you need any help with this.

4. Need Indoor Meeting Activity Type for Routes/places

When submitting a new Route/Place request I’d like an Activity Type for meetings, lectures, and other indoor activities. I just need one so you pick the terminology that serves best. I asked for this before and was rejected because the PC’s understanding for our outing takes precedence over ours. Now I’ve run into the issue again and I reiterate that we have indoor activities, like lectures for our courses and we need a suitable activity type to classify them.

Thankfully, activity type is optional now, so we no longer need to describe a meeting room as an “urban adventure”. But…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

We’ve added a field called “Common Uses” so we can search for venues suitable for lectures, meetings, field trips, “regular” trips, etc.

All routes/places default that had been previously entered will get the Trip as default but we can go in and add multiple uses. This will allow someone who is trying to schedule a meeting to simply search Routes/places by meeting/lecture use type.

When leaders go in and create new routes/places especially for places used for field trips and lectures and meetings we encourage these to be added to the type ahead field however we understand that most routes/places entered are for places we lead trips so this defaults to that and does not require you to fill out anything else in order to save leaders time when creating new R/Ps.

5. Link Activities to Event/Room Reservation listings

One of those items that I would be interested in seeing added to the
    capabilities of the new website system, is for when room reservations are
    made that an option exists to simultaneously tie that reservation into an
    actual activity. I know that not all room reservations are
    Mountaineers-related, but I suspect that those that are related would
    generally be associated with an activity (I know that all of mine are so
    far). This would possibly help alleviate date problems (I just noticed I
    was broadcasting a lecture date as being different from the room
    reservation - which was the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add status column to course roster

The course roster can be improved with a new column to show status of the students and instructosr. Students start out as registered then progress to graduated, cancelled, failed, extended, etc. Instructors may also cancel, no show. Using the role column to carry that fact is not the best because then when the status changes we lose track of the actual role. For example, if the status changes to cancelled, we no longer know if the registration was for a student or an instructor.

By extension, this idea means that "graduated" is a status of the student role, not a…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We have no additional feedback that this is a desired change by other course leaders, and it seems that having one column with “Student” and one with “Graduated” would be too confusing.

7. Ability to switch activity templates for trips after trips have been created GH1937

Can you make it easier to switch a climb to an alpine scramble and vice versa when accidently listed the wrong way. Or to make a switch from winter scramble template and regular scramble template so the right pre-reqs are listed for the trip I want to lead.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Leaders and committee admins on their behalf may now change the activity template for trips they have scheduled.

8. Difficulty Label Changes

The long-form of this proposal with better formatting and screenshots is here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vef3Nw-ulHzJdeKUhYSv95PX7FcAcigM7R2z6H5tn8g/edit?usp=sharing

This is a copy-paste and loses formatting:

==========================

Problem
    All trips posted have a “Difficulty” rating and a “Leader Rating” value, but trip listings only display the Difficulty rating. Sometimes the difficulty of a trip is indicated by the combination of the difficulty field and the trip template. For example, an Intermediate Snowshoe is posted using an “Intermediate Snowshoe” template and will have a difficulty label to indicate how strenuous the trip is expected to be. Other activities, such as Cross-Country Skiing, indicate the trip difficulty solely…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide a way to tell if leader has unread feedback

Currently, there is no indication if a participant has submitted feedback after a leader has viewed the feedback. Personally, I check for feedback a few days after the activity, and if someone adds feedback after that I probably won’t ever see it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Stop stripping line breaks from Leader Permission request comments section

Most people (myself included) when entering information for the leader in the permission request comment box, make an effort to format it as cleanly as possible with line breaks to organize provided information.

However, the code appears to strip all these line breaks from the text and drop a super messy blob of text in the request email that comes to leaders. This makes the leader's job unnecessarily harder because we have to mentally parse the blob back into the requester's intended presentation.

Could we please stop stripping the line breaks and preserve the intended format?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remove web trackers from the web site

I recently observed that mountaineers.org had web trackers for

doubleclick.net
    Facebook.com
    Facebook.net

I dislike having my activity on the web survailed. Why should an advertising consortium or Facebook know what I'm doing on the mountaineers web site?

Do the members or the organization benefit from allowing these trackers? If not, please I would much prefer they not be on our web site.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Limit use of low contrast fonts

I have a big, but I think important ask. My vision is not crisp, in fact worse than that. In order to read text, I require fairly high contrast. When light grey font is used, it is a blur, even when enlarged, to me and others with less than acute, young eyes. The Mountaineers Templates use quite a lot of light grey font and it is not editable. When doing web design for the Mountaineers, could you please consider making it a point to use black font on light backgrounds or white on dark backgrounds so that we all can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Donor affinity checkboxes

Checkboxes to track donor affinity across major fundraising categories to ensure people can hear about the impact and opportunities that mean the most to them. For internal use only - no plone integration.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Clarify that "Add 3% to cover credit card fees" is only for donations

Consider adding some clarifying language or different shading to the script for the '3% for credit card fees' check box. Although it is clearly displayed in the donations section, folks often want to cover the fees regardless of it's for a donation or a course/activity/program fee, and it can be confusing when the cart total does not change. I suggest updating the below language to "Add 3% to over credit card fees (for donations only)."

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Event Tickets Timing-Out in Cart

The problem: Event rosters are not entirely accurate because if an individual adds a ticket to their cart and the cart times out, they are automatically moved to ‘canceled.’ Sometimes this is okay if the order of operations is such that the ticket times out and then after they register again. However, if it’s the other way around (purchase ticket, go to purchase another, times out) they show up as canceled where they should still stay registered. This seems to create duplicate entries on the event roster.

Why it matters: This has implications for staff and volunteers managing events because…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  1 comment  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Display co-requisite badge status on course roster

As a course administrator, it becomes difficult to manage and check on every individual's requirements to be met for the graduation needs of the respective course. When courses require co-requisite badges in order to graduate, display the course roster with additional columns stating when the respective badge was awarded to an individual for each co-requisite badge. This will immensely improve the process for course administrators to check on verifying individuals' records before graduating them. Also, providing a great tracking tool to follow up on individuals needing more help with courses and such.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add badge expiry date to course roster export

Currently, the course roster downloads display all the badges an individual has earned whether it is expired or active. It would be good to know if the badge is still active and hence requesting a change to roster downloads to include an expiration date. This will help all the courses that require their students to have core-requisites badges to be current for their graduatation.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add bulk update feature for Event "Attended?" checkbox GH3706

Like we do for email, download, and print, add a Bulk Update Attended All|Selected button that checks or unchecks the Attended? box for all roster records or just the ones selected. When clicked, ask the user if they want to check or uncheck the Attended? box. This will make record-keeping easier for those who choose to use printed sign-in sheets.

When you use the "Add volunteer hours" box at the bottom of an event roster, it adds hours to anyone with a volunteer role, not just the folks who were marked as attended. It would be great to get this…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Address Verification Service

What: Consider adding an address checker to the website to help manage number of bad addresses (incorrect unit, missing zip code, etc). This tool could help us verify/correct postal addresses.
    Why: Potentially important for decreasing amount of mail that is marked undeliverable and returned to the PC

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Carbon Offsets for Travel to Mountaineers Trips During Participant Registration Process

This feedback is to request that IT work the conservation and development teams to make changes to The Mountaineers website and sign-up/check-out process for all Mountaineers trips to allow registrants the option to partially offset their transportation-related carbon associated their travel by donating to a Mountaineers Carbon Footprint Reduction campaign. In addition to the donation ask, we would also like to allow registrants to share if they plan to carpool or if they will use an electric vehicle to travel to the activity. We understand this would take time, resources, and have implications for existing fundraising efforts. Thank you for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base