Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

141 results found

1. Add Email Alerts & Notifications Preferences to My Profile SD508/599/600/601

This could be allowing people to request an email notification for an activity or course when it becomes available. It could include notifications to committee chairs when leaders list activities sponsored by that committee. Please describe below what you'd specifically like to see as far as email notifications go that would help you sign up for the activities you want or help you manage your committee etc.

April Leader Survey showed interest in:

1. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity

2. Ability to receive a reminder notification about your trip this weekend

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. My Calendar SD411

Add a "My Calendar" page where I can see all of my activities on a calendar, or subscribe to an iCal feed of my activities.

Update April 2018
    We are "cancelling" this for lack of a better status, because each of the items below is its own idea, and some are complete. Please visit the individual items to vote for or subscribe to them. Thanks!

Update April 26 2016
    Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes are below.

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Cancelled  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Update April 2018
    We are “cancelling” this for lack of a better status, because each of the items below is its own idea, and some are complete. Please visit the individual items to vote for or subscribe to them. Thanks!

Update April 26 2016
    Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes are below.

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

2. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

3. Ability to sync outside calendar (Outlook, Google) with your Mountaineers Activities/Events which is part of the original idea above. COMPLETEALL calendar views on our website come with a iCal download, so for anything with a calendar view, you can download the relevant calendars and view them overplayed…

3. Ability to see 'what trips i have done with this person'

It would be great if I could look up a person, and see the trips i've done with them in the past, along with their badges. So many times, we end up playing the 'i've been out with you somewhere. were you on my Norse Peak trip? no? may be on Snoqualmie last year then?' :)

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  8 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make Peak Pins and other awards more public and interactive on the website

Make Peak Pin and Paddle pins public on the website so members can see all of the neat awards their fellow members have completed and/or are working on. Plus we need to have good descriptions of the requirements for each of the awards.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We just completed editing and publishing the award badges that existed on our old website. They are at Membership > Badges, https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/badges/award-peak-pin-badges.

There are two for which we need badge images. We should have those by the end of March.

We’ll next work on adding badges; including content, images and roster; for our organization and branch service awards. We do not yet have this scheduled.

Please take a look and let us know if you have any questions or find anything that needs corrected.

Thanks to all you helped us get these done!

5. Add Message Board/Forum Capability

Would be great to have a space where leaders could put up an activity idea and find out if other leaders might be interested in joining up for key swaps, car camps, etc. Leaders could ask for anyone's recent experience with a particular trail or trailhead. On the same space, members could put up a trip that they'd like to do and see if they can interest a leader in doing it; barring that, to find other members who might like to do it privately.

Originally titled: Message board for leaders and members wanting to coordinate an activity

Other uses…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow Members on Waitlist to sign up for Additional Outings

The system currently does not allow members to sign up for more than one outing. If you are on a waitlist, particularly if you are third or more on that list, I think the system should allow you to also sign up for another trip as backup. It seems unfair to force members to give up a potential spot on their preferred trip only to confirm on less preferred trip simply because of the system. Thank you.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Publicly accessible API

As a member of the Mountaineers, I'd love to give back in a way that I have particular expertise.

It would be great of the website had a public facing REST API for exposing data such as events and classes.

At least in a read capacity. My particular goal would be to write an Android (and possibly iOS) app to browse the events and what not.

It would be great to have easy native access to my up coming events, and be able to launch navigation to the event right from the app.

I have extensive experience writing and working…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Our Technology Advisory Committee has reviewed this topic. It is low priority because of the mobile responsive theme that we developed for our website and the concerns outlined by Eric in the comments on this idea.

8. Feature Request - Expiring Badge Notification ~SFOnly

As a user I would like to be notified prior to my badge expiring so that I can arrange to meet requirements or arrange for an extension given that I have a badge that has an expiration date. The problem to avoid is people losing their privileges without notice and being unpleasantly surprised.

Then, when the expiration date is within 90 and 30 days from expiring:

• A notification of what badge is about to expire and when will be sent to me (User) 90 days and 30 days prior to the expiration date.

• A notification will be sent to the…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add a Calendar View of the My Activities Page SD411

As a logged in member or guest, allow me choose a calendar view/display of the My Activities page where I can see all of my activities on a calendar and subscribe to an iCal feed of my activities and events so that I can better manage my schedule.

NOTES:
    Ideally we'd continue to have one My Activities page and add "buttons" to toggle between the "List" and "Calendar" views, even though they may be two different pages/links.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Remember Me Checkbox on login screen GH1051

Add "Remember Me" option so that my login persists until I deliberately logout. Or maybe increase the expiration timer to 24 hours or something like that. I just get tired of logging in 10 or 15 times a day. I'm not that concerned about the security risk--what's a hacker going to do...sign me up for a course?

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

When you log in there is a box now that you can check that says “Keep me logged in.” Checking this box will keep you logged in for 30 days if you are simply closing your browser rather than logging out.

11. Add Pronoun Field to Profiles - Part 1 GH3031

We not only want people to be comfortable being themselves, but also to be celebrated for their identities and what makes them unique. In addition, we try to build a culture where we don’t make assumptions or pass judgment on each other. So if a person chooses to tell you their pronouns (in their profile or otherwise), they are simply letting you know how you can refer to them, without you having to make any assumptions.

Part 1 - Add pronoun field to profile edit form and profile display.

Part 2 - Add pronoun field to roster displays and downloads.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Redesign Website Header and Sitemap, and Integrate mountaineersbooks.org with mountaineers.org SD579

Redesign our website header so it is better for mid-size mobile devices and re-organize our site map so that it better includes features we've added since launch (e.g. selling books, find volunteers, lodges), etc. This will involve UX design and some graphic design work.

Add "Locations" to the top level and move Branches, Outdoor Centers and Program Centers there.

Selling eBooks, ability to use promo codes currently in use on mountaineersbooks.org (e.g. buy one get one free) and content migration (pages, blogs, calendars, etc.) are the key considerations. Integrating our two websites will eliminate confusion of where to purchase books,…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Remember me function on log in page is broken GH2020

"Remember me" on the log in page is not working and when I open new windows or close my browser I have to log in again.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now have this fixed. Please let us know if you have any issues with the “Keep me logged in” feature.

Remember that when you use this it will last for 30 days for each device/browser combination so long as you do not log out.

14. Develop Support for Non-English Script

Currently our website rosters and the mailings we send do not support non-English scripts. Our members would like for their names, written in their native languages, to display correctly.

More information from Super Volunteer Ananth Maniam:

When participants Sign up for my trip and on mailers sent to my home and when leaders email back to me. My contact name comes like below
    Ananth Maniam (??????? ??????)

This is because the (?????? ?????) are supposed to be my native script
    Ananth Maniam (ஆனந்த் மணியம்)

This feature sometime works when I print roster - It works, it doesn't work when participants…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We would very much like to implement this, and right now technical constraints make it nearly impossible. Most platforms require its owners to choose a single language (keyboard layout), for which we were required to choose English for our website (which operates on a Plone Platform). Right now, in some places, non-English text is supported, but it varies and we do not have control. The biggest issue is when we export things to our Salesforce CRM, which translates everything as plain text and thus only accepts English characters. Until our platforms are updated more broadly to accept more than one keyboard, we’re stuck with using the U.S. English language/layout. In the meantime, we encourage you to use the Bio field in your profile to celebrate your culture, heritage, or history.

15. Add Pronoun Field to Rosters - Part 2 GH2887

We not only want people to be comfortable being themselves, but also to be celebrated for their identities and what makes them unique. In addition, we try to build a culture where we don’t make assumptions or pass judgment on each other. So if a person chooses to tell you their pronouns (in their profile or otherwise), they are simply letting you know how you can refer to them, without you having to make any assumptions.

Part 1 - Add pronoun field to profile edit form and profile display.

Part 2 - Add pronoun field to roster displays and downloads.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Waitlisted people can take themselves off a trip any time GH2131

I see why people signed up for a trip need to contact the leader to take themselves off a trip after signups for the trip has closed. However, I DON'T SEE why that applies for people who are merely waitlisted.
    What is the possible logic for this?? Especially since being waitlisted means you can't sign up for anything else at the same time. You need to contact the leader and then the leader, who may be away from email, needs to take them off. Especially since the closure period for some trips is way in advance of the trip.
    This…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Participants may now cancel from an activity if they are on the wailist and registration is closes.

17. Profile - improved clarity to user re what shows as public or private? GH1974

Might there be a better interface re our profiles that would make crystal clear to the user what information is kept private and what is viewable to Mountaineer members (public)?

**Update: Also would be good for leaders to be able to discern which members want their info private versus shared with our members. This means looking at how rosters show up for courses, activities and events for both participants and leaders.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Limit adding more than 1 duplicate profile and limiting duplicates overall GH3636

Member services has seen a significant increase in the overall number of duplicates in the past 6-12 months. This has meant there have been a significant increase in login troubles for members, an increase in login-related inquiries. Member services has also been unable to keep up with the constantly growing number of duplicate accounts. Since December 2020, we have seen approximately 3000 duplicate pairs emerge - that's approximately 1000 pairs or 500 duplicated accounts per month.

We believe there are a few things that could be done to reduce the number of duplicates overall.
    1. Prevent/block folks from adding more…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add filters to the My Activities page GH2799

Filters to add include Activity Type, Trip Result, Participant Role, and Participant Result. This is useful for leaders to review participant activity info for leader's permission requests. It is also useful for helping keep committee rosters up-to-date.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a filter for Cancelled Activities on My Activities page GH1325

Can we please get a sort or filter button on this page so that we don't have to view the canceled events?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Based on the original request and comments, we added “Show Canceled” checkbox, “Show waitlisted” checkbox and a date range filter. We did the same for the My Courses & Programs page. Go check it out!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base