General Feedback

The UserVoice Feedback forum enables Mountaineers to share ideas and exchange feedback with other Mountaineers. You may follow any forum idea and you will be notified of comments or status changes to that idea. All forum participants get ten votes to assign to ideas, and your votes help us prioritize the needs most important to our members. We receive lots of great feedback, so please search the forum first before creating a new idea. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and explanation. Thank you for your participation!

If you want to learn more about what has already been developed and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog, https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/technology.

Please note that all our courses, events, trips and course related activities have feedback forms that you can fill out after each activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly (not sure who the chair is, contact Member Services at info@mountaineers.org).

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior by another member or harassment. Please fill out this form: https://www.mountaineers.org/about/board-of-directors/board-policies/board-policies-files/4-behavioral-complaint-form.

Share your idea...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My Calendar SD411

Add a "My Calendar" page where I can see all of my activities on a calendar, or subscribe to an iCal feed of my activities.

Update April 26 2016
    Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes were:

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

2. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

3. Ability to sync outside calendar (Outlook, Google) with your Mountaineers Activities/Events which is part of…

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes were:

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

2. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

3. Ability to sync outside calendar (Outlook, Google) with your Mountaineers Activities/Events which is part of the original idea above.

4. Ability to view results from the Find Activities search in a calendar view. This is NEW!

5. Ability view the My Activities page on your profile in a calendar view in addition to the current list view which is part of the original idea above.

6. Ability to receive a reminder notification about your upcoming trips. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

7. Ability to overlay your personal activities/events…

2. Branches and Committees self-maintain content on their pages.

Allow Branches and Committees to self-maintain their pages. Committees can now maintain a brief description, but it is limited to text and cannot contain any formatting, images, links, or other useful stuff. There is currently a fairly long description for each Branch, but it is too static and, as far as I can tell, maintained by the PC. With more control of Branch page(s) on the club website, the need for Branches to have the separate websites is minimized.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Committee pages have a new look! Go check them out and start adding content to the rich text description and summary. You can also create a folder and then create a whole new webpage with extra content that you can link to . Check out Tacoma Sea Kayaking, Olympia Hiking, Everett Scrambling, Seattle climbing as examples where some content has been added. Committee admins should be able to edit and committee members can now delete and archive content. Check out the Tech 2.3 Blog on the homepage for more web updates. Contact member services for additional questions about updating your committee pages. Additionally there are new links on the Getting Started pages which link back to branch communities and from the Learn menu to divert people to get plugged into their branches.

3. Three day head start for basic students who don't yet have 3 climbs

Good afternoon Jeff,

Jim Nelson asked that I get in contact with you about a website feature we would like to explore in support of the Basic Climbing Course. We would like for the website to be able to flag Basic Course students who have not yet completed three climbs and give them a three-day head start in signing up for Basic climbs. As soon as a student has three successful climbs, the flag comes off and they have the same priority in signing up for climbs as prior-year Basic course graduates.

This change addresses two long-simmering concerns:

1. It…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Climbers,

Thanks for posting your suggestions on the feedback site. This has been an issue for many years, and this is not a problem with a technology solution – at least not right now (take a look at another Feedback idea with a healthy number of votes in opposition to pre-filling rosters before a trip is posted- http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/272594-leaders/suggestions/6939679-future-activity-sign-up-dates-modifying-registrat).

Every option proposed has implications for every activity across the entire organization. If we allow trip rosters to be filled with students, we limit the availability of roster spots for course graduates like basic climbing students (who will leave The Mountaineers when climbs aren’t available to them). Whether we decide to favor students over general membership is a policy decision that needs to be made at a higher level in the organization, not by staff or a single committee. Because website/technology solutions apply to every activity we offer we need…

4. MailTo button on Rosters and other web email improvements GH1123

The email button on the roster page is pretty much useless because of the crippled form based email that is built in. Add another button with a MailTo link behind it that feeds the default email client with the list of selected email address in the header.

That's basically the same functionality we had under IMIS--it was robust, immensely useful, and the necessary programming is trivial.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Printer-friendly Roster Page with Contact Info for Leaders SD319

In preparing for an activity, leaders often want to bring a long a printout of their activity roster, including participant names, mobile phone, email, and emergency contact info. Currently we have to export this info to excel and spend time removing unnecessary columns and rows and doing a lot of formatting to produce this. Offer a printer-friendly page that formats this info (and leaves out the unnecessary info like cancelled registrations, etc.).

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Publicly accessible API

As a member of the Mountaineers, I'd love to give back in a way that I have particular expertise.

It would be great of the website had a public facing REST API for exposing data such as events and classes.

At least in a read capacity. My particular goal would be to write an Android (and possibly iOS) app to browse the events and what not.

It would be great to have easy native access to my up coming events, and be able to launch navigation to the event right from the app.

I have extensive experience writing and working…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remember Me Checkbox on login screen GH1051

Add "Remember Me" option so that my login persists until I deliberately logout. Or maybe increase the expiration timer to 24 hours or something like that. I just get tired of logging in 10 or 15 times a day. I'm not that concerned about the security risk--what's a hacker going to do...sign me up for a course?

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create a new course content type better suited for our single seminar courses SD296

Create a type of content that is similar to courses but is more useful for the once a year, one-off seminars that we do. It would be connected to a route/place like activities but have course graduation function or the ability to add badges to it and mostly would be good for things like winter scramble seminars or pool sessions that are activities that have learning attached to them but aren't full fledged courses.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Courses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Members on Waitlist to sign up for Additional Outings.

The system currently does not allow members to sign up for more than one outing. If you are on a waitlist, particularly if you are third or more on that list, I think the system should allow you to also sign up for another trip as backup. It seems unfair to force members to give up a potential spot on their preferred trip only to confirm on less preferred trip simply because of the system. Thank you.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    New  ·  8 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Email Alerts & Notifications Preferences to My Profile SD23

This could be allowing people to request an email notification for an activity or course when it becomes available. It could include notifications to committee chairs when leaders list activities sponsored by that committee. Please describe below what you'd specifically like to see as far as email notifications go that would help you sign up for the activities you want or help you manage your committee etc.

April Leader Survey showed interest in:

1. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity

2. Ability to receive a reminder notification about your trip this weekend

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Review  ·  9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Volunteers need to be able to delete and archive content SD227/280

Should be able to remove course materials from Manage Course Materials area or get rid of course templates no longer being used or files that are not up to date.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Emergency Contacts to Committee Rosters & Course Rosters GH1836

Currently, emergency contacts can be viewed / printed for Activity Rosters, but not Committee Rosters or Course Rosters. This creates a shortcoming in safety preparation for course field trips, as there is not a reliable means of having emergency contact info available for students & instructors participating at field trips. Would seemingly be a relatively easy fix to make Committee & Course Rosters function similar to Activity Rosters.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Sharing participant information among activity leaders GH1654

At our 2014 cross-branch hike-backpack committee summit, the number one source of burnout and frustration among leaders was the difficulty in identifying participants who are capable of completing the posted itinerary vs. those who could derail the group. Recent website updates now allow activity leaders to record participant performance ratings when closing their activities, using a dropdown box with the following categories: Successful, Turned Around, Needs Improvement, Failed/Unsafe, NoShow, Waitlisted, Canceled. Then a future leader can use the website search to find a particular member they'd like to evaluate for an activity, open their profile, and look at their Activity…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now show the overall trip result on the My Activities page along with the participant result which allows leaders to easily see if a participant canceled or if the trip was canceled.

We discovered that another big issue is chronic late cancellations. We are setting up an email to go to people who exhibit this behavior. With input from leaders, we defined chronic late cancellation is as anyone who cancels after registration closed 3 or more times in a 3-month period.

We will also send a similar email to anyone who is reported as a “no show” by the leader when they close their activity roster.

These three improvements achieve the desire for leaders to share participant information.

14. Allow us to list multiple routes-places for different activity types or difficulty levels to the same locale

We've been told that we have to use a generic route-place for an activity going to a particular locale even if that generic route-place is a poor fit to what we plan to do and may turn off potential participants. For example, a route-place may be listed as a scramble or climb and I want to list a hike or backpack there - it will show up in the activity search as a scramble and hikers won't want to do it. Or sometimes a route-place is listed as a hike and I want to do it as a backpack but…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When creating new Routes/Places leaders now have the option of having multiple activities tagged as suitable activities for that Route. For example Marmot Pass can be listed as a Hike and a backpack and Table Mountain (baker) can be listed so it shows up in Skiing and in Snowshoeing.

Additionally when a leader lists an activity for that route/place the activity will default to the mileage and elevation gain and route difficulty but leaders have the ability to change that mileage and elevation gain and difficulty to more accurately describe their specific trip.

When searching for activities via the Find Activities under EXPLORE, the summary statement now shows to set one’s trip apart from other trips. The leader’s chosen difficulty also shows.

15. Have an option to display Learn items and Explore activities in one screen SD360

If I want to see everything going on at all branches for both Explore (activities) and and Learn (courses/clinics/events) in (for example) Sea Kayaking there is not a straight forward way of doing this. I want to look ahead and decide what in the Sea Kayaking world I might like to do and have it all listed chronologically.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We just launched all of these changes:

As part of “single activity courses,” we now show the new “single activity courses” in both Find Activities and Find Course, Clinics and Seminars.

We have improved the site-wide search where one can find any kind of content and be able to filter that search on the type of content desire (e.g. activities, courses and/or events).

More info about Single Activity Courses
    http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/6836270-create-a-new-course-content-type-better-suited-for

More info about Site Search Improvements
    http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7053736-improve-site-wide-search-sd360

Also visit thew blog for these updates:
    https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/2-5-seminars-clinics-search-youth

16. Feature Request - Expiring Badge Notification

As a user I would like to be notified prior to my badge expiring so that
    I can arrange to meet requirements or arrange for an extension given that I have a badge that has an expiration date. The problem to avoid is people losing their privileges without notice and being unpleasantly surprised.

Then, when the expiration date is within 90 and 30 days from expiring:

- A notification of what badge is about to expire and when will be sent to me (User) 90 days and 30 days prior to the expiration date.

- A notification will be sent…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need to determine expiration dates on leader badges and discovery on what instructor status actually means before we can do badge notifications for leaders and instructors.

We can currently have the infrastructure to do email notifications for people with student badges but it is something that we would do for all students losing their student badges. This means there needs to be consensus within course leaders organizational wide that they want to see these types of notifications going on.

17. Add a new Activity category called "Other".

This could be a catch-all spot for new ideas that don't yet fit an established category. A good example is the Olympia Branch Gear Swap. It is desirable to run it as an Activity because: 1. The intent is to have sellers register and pay for tables. and 2. Folks have now been trained/accustomed to searching activities for things to do. Given the creative, entrepreneurial nature of members and branches, new ideas do come along and need an outlet, rather than be discouraged just because they are a square peg. Over time, examples that had persistence would become candidates for…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For items like your Gear Swap, the proper category is an Event. Events can be set up to have people rsvp for a table or to simply attend. If we want to collect money connected to events we currently use Eventbrite. Event listings allow us to post the event in multiple calendars. Events can be easily downloaded to your personal calendar, and offer complete customization. We want to be able to market these cool new ideas and event listings allow you to have titles and text and photos how you want them rather than being stifled by the activity template listings.

Activity templates do not have the same functionality as they include leader’s notes, mileage, etc. Trip specific categories don’t make sense for an event like the gear grab. The Event category also allows members to register guests without having to create a separate profile for a guest or have…

18. Add "Branches" drop down tab to Home page.

We need a "Branches" drop down tag on the top of the Home page to make navigating to individual branch pages, calendars and activities easier for users.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    New  ·  5 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add participant "Review" link to ACTIVITY rosters, it appears only on COURSE rosters.

Here's why: a name search with the magnifying glass does not always produce results in chronological order. You have to scroll down that first page and click on page 2 (or page after page) for the next ten items to find the profile name in red, click it in order to find the activity list, then you have to click "My Activities" to see the list. Clicking on an activity at the Search Results page creates even MORE work because all you get is a description of the activity itself, nothing about the participant unless the leader opens the roster…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Potential participants must be screened BEFORE being added to an activity roster, otherwise they will get both “activity registration confirmation” and “activity cancellation” emails with is very poor participant experience for our members and guests.

You can already search for people using site search, https://www.mountaineers.org/@@search, and then view their My Profile, My Activities and My Courses pages.

We have an item on our development list for a complete member directory that will make the search for people a bit easier.

20. Improve Program Center Reservation Process GH1167/1168/1169/1175/1176/1177

Submitting a room reservation for the Seattle Program Center is incredibly time consuming and there is a lot of room for error. For example, the calendar does not show which room is reserved, so you have to click on each event so you can see if the room you want is available. If you're looking for a room in a future month (which is often the case), each time you go back to the calendar, it defaults to the current month, so you then have to scroll again to the date you're looking for and click on the next event…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

General Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base