General Feedback

This forum has been created for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with other Mountaineers. We hope you will find this to be a useful resource. You can follow any topic of interest to you and be notified of comments or status changes to that topic. Each person receives votes to help us prioritize the needs most important to our members. We receive lots of great feedback, so please search the forum first before creating a new idea. If your idea is not yet in our forum, post it with a simple title and explanation. Please post only one idea per thread. Thank you for your respectful participation.

Want to learn more about what’s been developed and what’s on deck? Visit our enhancements list here: https://www.mountaineers.org/future-website-enhancements

Share your idea...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. My Calendar SD411

Add a "My Calendar" page where I can see all of my activities on a calendar, or subscribe to an iCal feed of my activities.

Update April 26 2016
    Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes were:

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

2. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

3. Ability to sync outside calendar (Outlook, Google) with your Mountaineers Activities/Events which is part of…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes were:

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

2. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

3. Ability to sync outside calendar (Outlook, Google) with your Mountaineers Activities/Events which is part of the original idea above.

4. Ability to view results from the Find Activities search in a calendar view. This is NEW!

5. Ability view the My Activities page on your profile in a calendar view in addition to the current list view which is part of the original idea above.

6. Ability to receive a reminder notification about your upcoming trips. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

7. Ability to overlay your personal activities/events…

2. Publicly accessible API

As a member of the Mountaineers, I'd love to give back in a way that I have particular expertise.

It would be great of the website had a public facing REST API for exposing data such as events and classes.

At least in a read capacity. My particular goal would be to write an Android (and possibly iOS) app to browse the events and what not.

It would be great to have easy native access to my up coming events, and be able to launch navigation to the event right from the app.

I have extensive experience writing and working…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Members on Waitlist to sign up for Additional Outings.

The system currently does not allow members to sign up for more than one outing. If you are on a waitlist, particularly if you are third or more on that list, I think the system should allow you to also sign up for another trip as backup. It seems unfair to force members to give up a potential spot on their preferred trip only to confirm on less preferred trip simply because of the system. Thank you.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    New  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Feature Request - Expiring Badge Notification

As a user I would like to be notified prior to my badge expiring so that
    I can arrange to meet requirements or arrange for an extension given that I have a badge that has an expiration date. The problem to avoid is people losing their privileges without notice and being unpleasantly surprised.

Then, when the expiration date is within 90 and 30 days from expiring:

- A notification of what badge is about to expire and when will be sent to me (User) 90 days and 30 days prior to the expiration date.

- A notification will be sent…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need to determine expiration dates on leader badges and discovery on what instructor status actually means before we can do badge notifications for leaders and instructors.

We can currently have the infrastructure to do email notifications for people with student badges but it is something that we would do for all students losing their student badges. This means there needs to be consensus within course leaders organizational wide that they want to see these types of notifications going on.

5. Add Email Alerts & Notifications Prefercences to My Profile SD23

This could be allowing people to request an email notification for an activity or course when it becomes available. It could include notifications to committee chairs when leaders list activities sponsored by that committee. Please describe below what you'd specifically like to see as far as email notifications go that would help you sign up for the activities you want or help you manage your committee etc.

April Leader Survey showed interest in:

1. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity

2. Ability to receive a reminder notification about your trip this weekend

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Access to Badge Rosters SDtbd

Provide access to badge rosters with means for admins to maintain them and correct inaccuracies. I know of no defensible reason to hide this information, especially from committees that need it to do their jobs.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    In Review  ·  Member ServicesMember Services responded

Badge Rosters are a compilation of other rosters managed through different avenues. Meaning course admins can grant badges through their course rosters by graduating students. Right now the badge rosters are very long and not easy to manage – even for staff. We are not trying to hide information at all and simply are working to develop a system that is more manageable for everyone.

Please respond with a few examples of what accessing badge rosters would enable you to do not which you cannot currently do. Thanks!

7. Message board for leaders and members wanting to coordinate an activity

Would be great to have a space where leaders could put up an activity idea and find out if other leaders might be interested in joining up for key swaps, car camps, etc. Leaders could ask for anyone's recent experience with a particular trail or trailhead. On the same space, members could put up a trip that they'd like to do and see if they can interest a leader in doing it; barring that, to find other members who might like to do it privately.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    New  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Beef up our route-place database to include all of the routes-places in the '100-best' books

The system has such capacity for displaying our routes and places in an attractive and appealing way, with enough detail to know where the trailhead is and whether or not it covers the route or place that one wants to take. It seems a huge missed opportunity to let routes-places be submitted without even the most basic of descriptions other than the pure length and elevation gain, which doesn't tell us much. Yet I know that Member Services is deluged with route place requests that are so urgent that you hesitate to push back. I wonder if we might be…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are considering a site-wide volunteer initiative to continue improve our Routes & Places and then add to them.

It looks like the Seattle Climbing Committee will be helping with some climbing Routes & Places updates in the near future. Please let know if you’re interested in tackling any of the other activity types. We do have a fairly well-defined process to make this a bit easier.

Remember that you can always add a new route/place and send us updates and corrections to those that exist (using the link on each route/place).

9. Allow overlapping activities

The website doesn't allow for overlapping activities, for example two 3-day climbs of the same summit which would summit and camp on different days.
    For example, one climb of a mountain could be on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and another climb could be Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. One climb thus summits on Saturday, the other on Monday.
    Since there is no conflict of having two parties travelling along the same part of a route at the same time, the website should allow registration of activities that don't exactly overlap.
    A warning is probably still in order since the trip leaders must make…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Display calendar for program centers and youth programs in terms of spaces/volunteers needed.

When looking at a calendar and considering whether a room is available or, with respect to youth program volunteer needs, whether there is a need for volunteers, that is not displayed. For example, in looking at a PC calendar, I have to know what all the room options are and then figure out what is available by exclusion. When I look at the "volunteer with youth calendar," I can see a program, but not how many volunteers it needs (if any). Prominently display the need so people "don't have to think" (the book that drives much web design) and can…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Photo credit for leaders on routes/places images SD481/485

Give authors photo credit on the routes/places images on the website. Just small text underneath the photo to designate the name and year.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Co-leaders and Mentored Leaders to be Notified of Participant Registration Changes

We like giving the Primary Leader the option of being alerted when there is sign up activity on their hike. It would be great to offer this to Co-leaders and Mentored Leaders too.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Mobile Responsive Theme SD295

I use the site all the time on my phone. Who doesn't these days?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Member Roles for Committee Pages

When editing the committee roster, it would be nice if we could select/enter roles of different members so that when we check the box to display that member on the committee page, others can see those roles.

For example, if my name shows up on the Photography Committee page, it just says "leader". It would be nice if it could say "activity coordinator and publicity" under my name. That way, visitors to the page would know to contact me for questions about those things. Limiting titles to Chair, Treasurer, Leader, etc. doesn't really tell people how we're involved.

There's currently…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently we are only adding roles that multiple committees are interested in using. It looks like we have interest from the photography committee for Activity Coordinator and Publicity but until we hear that this is a role that is useful for other committees and branches we can’t create a unique role.

The notes field is definitely intended for internal use only and many committees have more than just committee roles or delegated tasks in those notes so it’d be pretty messy to make those public.

Please comment on this feedback item if this role type is useful for your committee and if we are seeing agreement across the organization we can add it in!

In the meantime you can always add some information about key committee members on the committee page by editing your page.

15. Develop functionality for Activity Programs and Outings/Combos SD154/GH1639

This is functionality much like that for courses for activity programs like Explorers and Venturing Crew, activity outings like Yosemite Climbing and "combo" activities like Hike & Stewardship and Cathedral Rock & Mount Daniel

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We added an “exclude participants from date conflict check” checkbox to activities to hold us until we can get to Activity Program and Outings. This is a staff only option, because for most activities we need a conflict check so that members and guests do NOT overbook themselves.

If you need this, please send an email with a lino to the activity for which you need ti to info@mountaineers.org.

16. Display trail or route on route/place map GH2019

While it would be a lot of work to populate initially, the question was raised at our committee meeting whether the map for a route/place could actually show the route, rather than just the start and end points. This could come from either a GPS track or from tracing it out on a map. Alternatively, there could be a place, like a "Materials" folder and tab for each route/place, where we could upload a GPX file with the route.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It should be fairly easy to implement the “materials folder/tab” idea. We’re looking for what best to call this folder/tab. Please add a comment if you have a suggestion. Two preliminary ideas to jump start your thinking are “Downloads” and “Extras.”

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

17. Ability to see 'what trips i have done with this person'

It would be great if I could look up a person, and see the trips i've done with them in the past, along with their badges. So many times, we end up playing the 'i've been out with you somewhere. were you on my Norse Peak trip? no? may be on Snoqualmie last year then?' :)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    New  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Duplicate Family Members

There is not a warning message or anything that prevents someone from using the "Add Family Member" button to create a duplicate account for someone who already has one on mountaineers.org. Right now family members can create an unlimited number of duplicate accounts. Can we add a pop-up warning message like we do on the regular Create Account page when a first name/last name/email match is made?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Waitlisted people can take themselves off a trip any time

I see why people signed up for a trip need to contact the leader to take themselves off a trip after signups for the trip has closed. However, I DON'T SEE why that applies for people who are merely waitlisted.
    What is the possible logic for this?? Especially since being waitlisted means you can't sign up for anything else at the same time. You need to contact the leader and then the leader, who may be away from email, needs to take them off. Especially since the closure period for some trips is way in advance of the trip.
    This…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    New  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Need better lighting outside the Seattle Program Center

It's pretty dark on winter night events with a high number of car/pedestrian interfaces from significant parking on the west side of a very busy street, and lots of people activity at the Mountaineers and near by venues. A couple of strategically placed street lights would help a lot. Would probably also help reduce car break in's at the park to have better lighting.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

General Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base