Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

741 results found

1. Set up a Search for Badges to Make Them Easier to Find GH1881

Set up a faceted search in the Badges area, https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/badges, so that badges are searchable and easier to find.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Larger profile pictures

Our community is stronger when we connect with one another and when other members can learn more about you. So while we’re at it, how about allowing larger views of members’ profile photos? I was delighted when the member profile feature was added to the web site, enabling me to see who I’m going on a trip with; but what’s with the microscopic space allotted to the profile photo? I have a 34-inch monitor, yet members’ photos show up in a tiny 2-inch circle and I have to peer closely at the screen to make out any facial features. The…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. "Post a new idea..." confusion

I found the "Post a new idea..." link on this page (on the right, under "General Feedback") to be confusing. I expect a link to take me to a new page, but actually it was a no-op. I would suggest just eliminate that link.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

This is an issue with UserVoice that we have pointed out ti them. If you need help adding a feedback idea or need support, please contact us at info@mountaineers.org or 206-521-6000.

4. Include full names in email address lists

When I get the list of email addresses for my activity, I would prefer to have the list include everyone's full name. For example, instead of
    person@gmail.com, person2@hotmail.com
    I would prefer to see
    "first last" person@gmail.com, "first2 last2" person2@hotmail.com
    Then I would have human-friendly names in my emails.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Update Billing Info for Automatic Renewal GH1977

The billing info associated with autorenewal payments is not getting updated in tandem with the user’s profile. Let's tweak the process to update the autorenewal billing info whenever the profile is updated, or at least give users the option to also update their billing info when they update their payment card info.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add More White Space Between Events on Calendar View GH1992

Add a bit more white space between events on the calendar view so that they do not appear mushed together as they do in some cases.

Here's an example for August 2016 on https://www.mountaineers.org/about/locations-reservations/seattle-program-center/events

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Map of phone numbers to call for back country rescue

How about posting a map showing which number should be called in case an emergency rescue is needed in any given area in the Washington Cascades (or Olympics)? Maybe it already exists, but I couldn't find it. Ideally, the map would clearly delineate the boundaries between rescue jurisdictions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Safety  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Cancelled  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

As Jeff mentioned in the comments below, calling 911 is the very first thing that should be done in an emergency situation. Read more about our Emergency Contact Procedures here: https://www.mountaineers.org/about/safety/emergency-contact-procedures/view.

Although there are some general jurisdictions for SAR teams they do work with eachother and the Navy, different county Sheriff’s office etc to see what resources are available most quickly. Most of the time the most useful information is to know whether you are in a National Park or if you aren’t in a National Park which county you are in along with the trailhead where you entered. Washington Department of Transportation has some good maps online to help identify which county you are in before heading out. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/mapsdata/products/digitalmapsdata.htm

The next step after 911 is calling the Mountaineers specific emergency line 206-521-6030 and the folks on that line will additionally help triage the situation.

8. Tracking Committee Positions over time for a list of all former chairs, for example.

As people move in and out of their positions on a committee, it would be useful to have the ability to pull a report out of Salesforce that tells me who has served in that role over time (such as all Branch Chairs and the dates they served). Low priority but would help identify former expertise for mentoring opportunities and recognition.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add GPS Coordinates to the Ballon Labels on Maps GH1968

On maps, add the GPS coordinates to the "bubble" that is displayed when a user clicks on a map's balloon (e.g. 46.8719090087, -121.51538770799999).

Example: https://www.mountaineers.org/explore/routes-places/pacific-crest-trail-routes/dewey-lake-naches-peak-loop-pacific-crest-trail (see also attached map image)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Default Survey type based on activity template GH1953

Can we get some sort of toggle on an activity template for courses that would allow changing the default survey type:

“Default survey for activities within this course:”

This way Conditioning Hiking Series trips could all be trip surveys by default rather than field trips surveys and having to edit each individual activity.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Conditioning Hiking Series templates like CHS 1 and CHS 2 and any other course related activity template now have the ability to choose which survey is the default survey that is sent to participants. Note that although a default can be set you can also edit each activity to choose which survey makes the most sense. This is mostly an issue when a course has activities that are more like a regular stand alone trip than a field trip.

11. Fix Blog Title Text from Running into Photos GH1959

When longer words are used in blogs we are getting the image for the blog overlaid on top of the title text.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve the Summary (aka Search Results) View for Files GH1902

Add the Summary field for files that are added to the website in the Summary (aka search results) view (see attached image).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Reply to doesn't work on all email from mountaineers.org

Replying to emails written from leaders through mountaineers.org are not working for Windows 10 mail. Obviously Mountaineers can't control Windows but it might make sense to switch to participants being cc'd on organizing or the leader being cc'd so members don't send Member Services trip logistical emails.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Tess Wendel responded

Thanks for providing feedback. Unfortunately we can’t fix Windows 10 mail but it does work for other mail programs. We also have an option for leaders to capture roster emails and easily copy and paste them into their email in the cc’ field if a leader does have Windows 10 or wants to help facilitate carpooling.

14. Warning message for unrelated activity types tagged on activity listing GH1867

When setting up a trip, the trip defaults to the multiple activity types associated with the route/place. It would be nice if the site gave you a “warning” if you set up a trip with activity types that are different from the committee listing the trip or the activity template chosen to avoid having a ski trip show up in snowshoe and scramble trip listings.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We set the default activity type to come from the activity template only when scheduling an activity, and allow the leader to choose or edit the Climbing, Skiing, or Snowshoe categories when scheduling an activity. We also improved the display of activity type and categories on Routes & Places and Activities.

15. Display trail or route on route/place map GH2019

While it would be a lot of work to populate initially, the question was raised at our committee meeting whether the map for a route/place could actually show the route, rather than just the start and end points. This could come from either a GPS track or from tracing it out on a map. Alternatively, there could be a place, like a "Materials" folder and tab for each route/place, where we could upload a GPX file with the route.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Course feedback form should request that students name their instructor

Course feedback form should request that students name their instructor so we can learn from the good instructors and help the poor ones. Currently the comments are lumped together. Comments like "my instructor was great" and "my instructor was poor", don't do us any good because we don't know who they are talking about.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

The course related field trip surveys now include the following text to help identify which instructors may need additional support. “Could you give the reasons why you rated the instructors the way you did?
    Please list specific names of instructors if possible so we can pass on the feedback.”

17. Auto-populate branch council rosters with all chairs of branch activity committees

There are some times when a branch council roster isn't updated after a new chair comes on to an activity committee. If this wasn't a difficult or expensive feature, it would alleviate one bit of data entry for branch council's AND help prevent other committees from missing communications from the councils.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Online outdoor resume

I think that breaking down the various skills our courses teach is important and reiterate my support for "skill badges" that is already an idea in this system. However, I see benefit in creating a template that is populated with the skills a member has earned that takes the form of an outdoor resume people could download and modify. This could promote our efforts to make the burgeoning multi-billion-dollar outdoor industry accessible to the youth we serve (as well as help our members who are sick and tired of their current jobs and would love to make a career transition).…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Need better lighting outside the Seattle Program Center ~Facilities

It's pretty dark on winter night events with a high number of car/pedestrian interfaces from significant parking on the west side of a very busy street, and lots of people activity at the Mountaineers and near by venues. A couple of strategically placed street lights would help a lot. Would probably also help reduce car break in's at the park to have better lighting.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Long-term Project  ·  2 comments  ·  Safety  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Emergency Contacts to Committee Rosters & Course Rosters GH1836

Currently, emergency contacts can be viewed / printed for Activity Rosters, but not Committee Rosters or Course Rosters. This creates a shortcoming in safety preparation for course field trips, as there is not a reliable means of having emergency contact info available for students & instructors participating at field trips. Would seemingly be a relatively easy fix to make Committee & Course Rosters function similar to Activity Rosters.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Safety  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base