Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

741 results found

1. Improve Collection Portlet for Main Content Area Below the Title GH2263

Improve the display of a collection portlet that can be display in the main content area of a page just below the title, image and summary. The portlet would continue to be configuration as it is but the display would span the entire page if there is only one (50/50 if there are two and 33/33/33 if there are three. Currently it spans only 33% of the width in all cases.

This would allow our outdoor centers and other committees to elevate their blog content if they wish See attached a example.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Improve Feedback forms ~PloneOnly

Please fix the feedback form-
    Under the overall rating you only give four options and there have been a number of times that I didn’t want to mark “Pretty good, I'd go again” or “Not so great, I'd think twice about going again”, but needed something right in the middle like- it was OK, but I might or might not do it again.
    With the options given “Not so great” is just a little better than a disaster. We need some kind of “ho hum” option. Sometimes it isn’t as bad as “Not so great” but it isn’t “Pretty good”…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Tess Wendel responded

We recently reviewed and updated all of our feedback forms. We opted stick with four response options, to avoid too many folks “sitting on the fence” – but we did update the options to include a more neutral “it was fine” choice. Additionally, we rephrased the question/replies to focus on the person’s experience on that specific trip, regardless of whether or not they would go again. Please see the following example:

Please rate your overall experience on this trip.
    > It was excellent, I loved everything!
    > It was just fine, nothing stood out as particularly positive or negative.
    > It wasn’t my favorite, there were a few things that I didn’t enjoy.
    > It was terrible, I didn’t like anything!

We also included some additional questions related to building a more welcoming, inclusive environment, limiting our impact on our public lands and clarifying any safety related incidents.

To view…

3. Disconnect the <Enter> key from Submit on the Routes & Placed Edit Form

Disconnect the <Enter> key from the "Submit" button on the Routes & Places edit form. It is a big form with lots of things to be filled in and lots of causes for pressing <Enter> before one is ready. On the other hand, one is still able to edit afterwards so accidental submission was not a big problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Waitlisted people can take themselves off a trip any time GH2131

I see why people signed up for a trip need to contact the leader to take themselves off a trip after signups for the trip has closed. However, I DON'T SEE why that applies for people who are merely waitlisted.
    What is the possible logic for this?? Especially since being waitlisted means you can't sign up for anything else at the same time. You need to contact the leader and then the leader, who may be away from email, needs to take them off. Especially since the closure period for some trips is way in advance of the trip.
    This…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Participants may now cancel from an activity if they are on the wailist and registration is closes.

5. Filter for Full Courses/Activities SD638/639

Use cases:
    * I am a participant and I want to only view courses and activities that have availability.
    * I am a leader and I want to only view courses and activities that have leader availability.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide easy way to email participants based on their role

For large course field trips it is common for instructors and students to show up at different times, which means that instructors will usually carpool with other instructors, and students with other students. To set up those carpools it would be helpful if the "Email Participants" screen had a way to quickly select participants based on their role, i.e. all instructors, all students, all leaders. Yes, it's currently possible to use the per-person check boxes to this now, but some large field trips (Navigation, Snowshoe, Scramble) can have as many as 90 participants, so selecting them individually is tedious and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Avy terrain rating GH2743

Add an avy terrain category rating to each route/place based on the highest risk area. Eg our Nordic Touring books list avalanche danger as "none, low, moderate, etc" The idea is that any route/place that has an NWAC link also has an avy rating so students can make informed decisions. (came from both snowshoe and scramble summits)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Setting the default role for RSVP's to an event as "volunteers" when appropriate GH2022

Some committees put their meetings on the calendars and people who RSVP are clearly committee volunteers, not "participants." If we could identify which types of events to do this with, it would more accurately capture our volunteer's efforts to default to the role of "volunteer" rather than "participant" when people RSVP to these types of events.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. For events, be able to RSVP as a volunteer

For events, make it possible for people to sign up as a volunteer. Currently, people who RSVP to an event are labeled participants by default. But on the roster, there are 3 roles people can have: event contact, volunteer, or participant. Whoever is managing the roster can re-label people as volunteers, but it would be nice if people could initially RSVP themselves as a volunteer. This would also serve as a recruitment tool for events that need extra volunteers. But maybe this could be a feature that you could turn on or off by adding separate lines in the event…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the ability to set events up to default registrants to be listed as volunteers. This works really well for committee meetings and instructor trainings. When you are creating the event simply go to the RSVP tab and hit the default role for RSVP to be volunteer, it will default to participant. If you use the participant default you can set up a “Want to Volunteer” button on your event that can be set up to email you. There was concern that volunteering for an event requires some back and forth about roles and responsibilities so emailing the leader was helpful.

Learn how to set this up here: https://www.mountaineers.org/volunteers/leader-resources/branch-committee-how-tos#rsvp

10. Add a skill to volunteer profile

Under Volunteer Profile, add a box for "Conflict resolution, mediation, or legal help" to recruit volunteers that can serve as neutral mediators in a conflict or a complaint situation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now have a Attorney/Legal skill option AND a Mediation/Conflict Resolution skill listed in the Volunteer Profile

11. Duplicate Family Members GH2130

There is not a warning message or anything that prevents someone from using the "Add Family Member" button to create a duplicate account for someone who already has one on mountaineers.org. Right now family members can create an unlimited number of duplicate accounts. Can we add a pop-up warning message like we do on the regular Create Account page when a first name/last name/email match is made?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Display calendar for program centers and youth programs in terms of spaces/volunteers needed. GH2132/2133/2134

When looking at a calendar and considering whether a room is available or, with respect to youth program volunteer needs, whether there is a need for volunteers, that is not displayed. For example, in looking at a PC calendar, I have to know what all the room options are and then figure out what is available by exclusion. When I look at the "volunteer with youth calendar," I can see a program, but not how many volunteers it needs (if any). Prominently display the need so people "don't have to think" (the book that drives much web design) and can…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add the Registration Date/Time to the Course Registration Edit Form GH1965

Add the Registration Date/Time to the course registration modal dialog and only show it to site admins so that we can have more flexibility in making waitlist and other roster adjustments to course like we do for activities.

Example: https://www.mountaineers.org/about/branches-committees/tacoma-branch/committees/tacoma-hiking-backpacking-committee/course-templates/introduction-to-backpacking-tacoma/introduction-to-backpacking-tacoma-2016-1/team-roster

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Transportation and membership

My idea would be be able to full enjoy the Mountaineers without a car. It seems very difficult to do so, hikes in particular. Make it easier to delete our account and membership if needed. Great customer service.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. With window reduced, 'Learn' is not visible

When you reduce the size of your window the LEARN menu and the left quarter of the screen disappears. Scroll bar appears fully left but missing key navigation features on the site.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We launched the website mobile responsive theme on Oct 4 and this was fixed as part of that effort.

16. Roster change emails

When a leader gets an email notification about a participant change on their roster, it would be great if when the leader hits 'reply', the email would be redirected to that participant and not toinfo@mountaineers.org
    I'm finding that even with I'm signed in to the website in one window, when I click on the hyperlinked participant name in the email, another window opens and the website wants me to sign in again, which creates to many steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Stevie,

Looks like we can’t get the reply to work like that since these notifications come from salesforce rather than plone which is how bulk roster emails from the site work.

However, it is possible for us to add a live link to the person’s email in the body of the notification for easy emailing in the notification so that has been added. You should see this live on any future roster change notifications.

17. it would be wonderful to easily order maps online

order USGS/Green Trails maps online

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Internal Link Dialog Fixes GH1949/1950

1. Allow course listed to be selected as internal links by clicking through the bread crumbs or search.

2. Fix the dialog so that when the breadcrumbs wrap to a second line, that they do not overlap the list of selections.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Create a "Do Not Send Automatic Confirmation Email" checkbox to activities or activity templates GH2002

In some cases like summer camp field trips and/or required lectures for courses, its confusing or annoying to members to receive confirmation emails. We would like to be able to turn off this functionality in certain cases like this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Profile - improved clarity to user re what shows as public or private? GH1974

Might there be a better interface re our profiles that would make crystal clear to the user what information is kept private and what is viewable to Mountaineer members (public)?

**Update: Also would be good for leaders to be able to discern which members want their info private versus shared with our members. This means looking at how rosters show up for courses, activities and events for both participants and leaders.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base