Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

744 results found

1. Pre-orders & Backorders: Better Handle Failed Credit Card Transactions GH3285

When the nightly delayed orders process runs, nothing is done with those with failed credit cards as best I can tell. I am not sure what's best to do here, but I think the options are:

1. Cancel the backorder and update the Salesforce opportunity's Stage to Online Credit Card Problem.

2. Mark the pre-order or backorder as Credit Card Declined on the website and Online Credit Card Problem in Salesforce, and add a "Buy Now" button/link for the customer to move the item, shipping address, and shipping method to the "regular" shopping cart and take them to the checkout page.

Any…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Improve badge display sort on course view

I have a low priority website UI feature request. For courses which award multiple badges to graduates, it would be nice if the list of badges were sorted nicer. One sort method could be "Course badges first then Skill badges, and within those by alphabetical". Here's the 2020 Seattle Basic course as an example of messy badges...
    https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/seattle-branch/committees/seattle-climbing-committee/course-templates/alpine-climbing-courses/basic-alpine-climbing-course/basic-alpine-climbing-course-seattle-2020

thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Promo Codes: Convert "Specific Product Use" to Multiselect GH3278

Change the "Specific Product Use" field to accept more than a single item (ie, several books).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Password Change/Reset GH3322

I was trying to change my password and couldn't figure out how despite looking at profile settings and searching for 'change password' on the site. In the end, I emailed info@mountaineers and found out that you have to use the forgotten password flow to do so.
    It seems like most sites have a 'change password' feature in the 'profile' section. It would be great to have a way to do so on the site. Alternatively, publishing a page about that might be helpful if people do search for it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Improve Address Entry & Management GH2975/3062/3146

(1) When a user buys books or merchandise and checks out as a guest, use the shipping address they entered as the billing address on the page where we collect their credit card information. Or maybe it's better if we add a "Billing address is same as shipping address" checkbox above the billing address fields. This seems like the better, more common user experience.

(2) Add shipping address fields to the contact profile and rename "address" fields to billing address. Use the shipping and billing addresses as defaults for purchase for logged in users. Sync the shipping address to Salesforce.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Progress  ·  3 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Improve Course Application Process GH2951

Improve the online forms so that applications can be housed on our website (which is ideal), with a prefilled field linking to a particular course, that the form builder creates. When the form is submitted, the applicant is automatically added to the "applied" roster, and the same process continues from there. This has the advantage of reducing admin burden, but it will require our online forms to be much easier to build so that our leaders will make applications in plone. Probably a much bigger project.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. In addition to Leave no Trace consider As an Outdoor Ambassador, removing traces left by others

Not unusual to see some trash on the trail or campsite. Be a good steward, pick it up and pack it out. Consider always carrying a trash bag in your pack for this. It often only takes a few seconds to pick it up. Help keep the outdoors pristine! :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing your idea. We agree that people should be good stewards of our natural places. In addition to sharing the principles of Leave No Trace as part of our Outdoor Ambassador program, we also regularly share responsible recreation tips with our community on our website, in our emails, and on social media. Most of our courses teach the “campsite rule”, to leave a place better than you found it, and many of our course students are required to complete eight hours of stewardship credit to graduate. For our latest resource, visit our blog from September 25, 2020, highlighting Leave No Trace tips for new hikers: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/leave-no-trace-tips-for-new-hikers.

8. Only insert new instructors to course roster GH3157

When an instructor signs up for a workshop or field trip then they are automatically added as an "Instructor" at the course level, I believe this is new functionality. However, if that person is already set as a course "Leader" then they are demoted to be a course "Instructor". It seems like the new automatic behavior should only happen if the person is not currently on the course roster.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Set focus to username field in login

Please set the "focus" to the first field "username” on the login page. It's a niggly little thing to have to proactively click into the box to type in it on every login.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add pre-checked email opt in box on a check out page

Email list building: Add a pre-checked "Opt in" email box to a page in the check out process so that opt in is the default.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Cancelled  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We already opt all new contacts into our Routefinder, Conservation Currents and Book email newsletters by default. It’s easy to opt out later on the website or in an email newsletter that is received. We decided thi sis all we need and that doing this in the checkout process would be overkill.

11. Pre-order/Backorder vs. Shopping Cart Clarification GH3072/3547

As a user, when pre/backordering something show me a notification that this process is separate from my other items (if I have other available items in my cart).

I'd like to see some sort of alert during/before reaching "/delayed-shipping" page that back/pre orders are not processed at the same time as the rest of the items in my cart. Reason being I'd like to avoid confusion during/after user has input all their information.

Ideally, is it possible to...
    1) Check if the cart is currently empty (if so, proceed as usual)
    2) If cart /= empty, perhaps an in-frame pop-up?…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Trip closure delinquency notice ~SFOnly

Automatically mail out to leaders on a quarterly basis a list of trips that have not yet been closed out, say are one month past.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Trip report input improvements

On the trip report page, allow for multiple photo uploads, have the "upload" tab come up by default when clicking to add a photo, keyboard shortcut to add a photo, and tell people upfront to save often, that they can edit after saving (I lost a ton of work).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 5, 2020.

This is the date we launched the Plone 5 Update which came with the ability to upload multiple files or images at one time.

We also added this to the help text for Trip Report rich text fields: “You can edit your trip report after saving it, so save your work early and often, especially if you’re writing a lengthy trip report.”

14. Pre-order/Backorder Quantity GH3044

As a website visitor pre-ordering or backordering a a book, allow me to enter a quantity that is applied when I click the "pre-order" or "backorder" button, and allow me to change this on the payment page, so that I may pre- or backorder more than one copy of a book at a time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Pre-order/Backorder User-applied Promo Codes GH3045

As a website visitor pre-ordering or backordering a book, allow me to enter a promo code on the payment page, so that I can receive a discount if one is offered. And display the automatically applied promo code the member discount.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Catch and Handle API Tax Rate Exceptions GH2919

As a site visitor purchasing books and/or merchandise, show me an error message if the tax API fails so I know how to get my order placed. We think the best is to retry a few times and if that fails use a fallback rate from site settings.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Re-sync Failed Plone-Acumen Transactions GH2921

Add a "Re-sync to Acumen button to receipt pages to enable Mountaineers staff to re-sync a transaction to Acumen. With power outages, Acumen posting, and server maintenance, this will make it easier to get any missed orders to Acumen without having to enter them manually.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Leader resources tab

Can we have a leader resource stab which could outline:
    Master list of climbs
    Field Trip Lottery dates
    Shared resources like manuals, application drafts, graduation drafts, etc.
    Many more things I'm sure I haven't thought of...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Sync Alerts & Notifications Preferences to Salesforce GH3230

Sync Alerts & Notifications preferences to Salesforce so that we have added information on engagement and website feature use.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show past activities on a route

When looking at a route, you can see future activities as well as trip reports. I'd like to see a list of past activities, along with their completion status and leader name (whether they posted a trip report or not).
    This would make it easier to contact past trip leaders to ask them about conditions, etc. as well as to get a sense of when people typically use the route.

Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base