Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

140 results found

1. Exportable PDF Feedback Reports

BACKGROUND

I have the ability to see my feedback history. As a committee admin I have the ability to see a portion of the feedback history for anyone who has led a trip for my committee. I cannot see the feedback history for someone who has led trips for some other committee.

USE CASE

As a Leadership Chair for various committees (current and past) I review leadership applications. Often these prospective leaders are already leaders for another branch and/or committee. As part of the feedback gathering process, it is important for me as the Leadership Chair to gather as much…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. demographics updates

I noticed that my demographic in my member profile had the wrong age group (unfortunately I continue to age). I only noticed it because I've been doing website testing today. Maybe there can be a prompt (or even a forcing function) for members to review their entire profile including preferences and demographics annually, as I'm sure other things change for members as well (marital status, activity interests, student status, etc). Maybe a button to go along with the waiver that forces them to scroll through their profile and select "I have reviewed and updated my profile" or something like that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Senior Membership Notification Email

Members Services receives a lot of inquiries from members about wanting to switch their membership from family or adult to senior, mid-membership cycle. They reach out in response to an email that we send, alerting them (on their birthday) to enroll in our senior membership now that they are 65. Since they pay upfront for the year, it doesn't make sense to retroactively refund each person that turns 65 mid-membership cycle. And if they enroll in the senior membership, they would be paying two separate membership costs for the year. Could we prompt the "senior membership invite" email via their…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Clarify that "Add 3% to cover credit card fees" is only for donations

Consider adding some clarifying language or different shading to the script for the '3% for credit card fees' check box. Although it is clearly displayed in the donations section, folks often want to cover the fees regardless of it's for a donation or a course/activity/program fee, and it can be confusing when the cart total does not change. I suggest updating the below language to "Add 3% to over credit card fees (for donations only)."

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Create "Out of Region" Branch Option & Branch Newsletter Opt-ins

(1) We would like to add a “Out of State” or “Out of Region” branch option for folks. The reason is that we have~400-500 folks who do not live within a reasonable driving distance from any of our branches, and it makes sense from a reporting standpoint to have an accurate count for membership association, particularly because historically most of these people have been added to the Seattle branch. The need for this is to get accurate reporting and also because it impacts our communications strategies.

(2) We want to automatically subscribe people to branch newsletters.

(2a) For Seattle branch,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add "Checkout as Guest" Option for Purchasing Gift Memberships

Currently, there is no option to checkout as a guest when attempting to purchase a gift membership and no error message or prompt to login. The item is removed from cart at checkout screen without explanation.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Inclusion with senior/ adult members wanting to add kids as guest to family activities

When you go to try to select a "Guest Family" membership and already have a different type of membership you get the message:

"You are choosing to change your membership from Senior or Adult to Guest Family. Click OK to continue, or Cancel to keep your current membership type."
    Could this be added to this message: "Please contact member services at info@mountaineers.org if you would like to include a family member as a guest and are not able to upgrade to a family
    membership at this time. We may be able to assist you."

This will support family in all…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export feature for My Activities and My Courses and Programs lists

Add export features (to CSV or Excel) to enable members to easily export lists of Activities and Courses (historical and active/posted in the future). It could be similar to rosters Export option.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Trigger a notification for Senior Rate Eligibility when Members turn 65 ~Salesforce

Many members appreciate the convenience of the auto renewal feature for membership dues but for members who begin their enrollment at the Adult rate and turn 65 before card expiry, this may result in several years of paying at a higher rate than necessary. Including a notification on their 65th birthday, similar to the one sent out when members turn 18, will allow these members to make a fully informed decision about their options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Limit adding more than 1 duplicate profile and limiting duplicates overall GH3636

Member services has seen a significant increase in the overall number of duplicates in the past 6-12 months. This has meant there have been a significant increase in login troubles for members, an increase in login-related inquiries. Member services has also been unable to keep up with the constantly growing number of duplicate accounts. Since December 2020, we have seen approximately 3000 duplicate pairs emerge - that's approximately 1000 pairs or 500 duplicated accounts per month.

We believe there are a few things that could be done to reduce the number of duplicates overall.
    1. Prevent/block folks from adding more…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Clarify language for profile management when adding family member GH3554

We've received a number of calls lately from folks who have a family membership. They go to add an adult family member, but get stuck when they are required to select whether 'I will manage the account for the youth' or 'the youth will manage their own profile, but I will sign their waiver and manage their account.' It is confusing that they have to choose one of these options when they are not adding a youth family member to their account.

I think changing the language to something like these two options would suffice to reduce confusion:
    -This is…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Phone support for Elder members who do not use the internet

I often hear this feedback but I don't think I've done a great job documenting it, so here goes.
    Today I spoke with 50 year member Diana Edgar and I thanked her and let her know her of recent lifetime membership.

While we were speaking she shared how much she loved being a Mountaineer but she has felt so cut off lately because she doesn't know how she can participate when everything is online and she doesn't use email or a computer. She deeply wishes there was a way for her to sign up for activities that was easy for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add Pronoun Field to Rosters - Part 2 GH2887

We not only want people to be comfortable being themselves, but also to be celebrated for their identities and what makes them unique. In addition, we try to build a culture where we don’t make assumptions or pass judgment on each other. So if a person chooses to tell you their pronouns (in their profile or otherwise), they are simply letting you know how you can refer to them, without you having to make any assumptions.

Part 1 - Add pronoun field to profile edit form and profile display.

Part 2 - Add pronoun field to roster displays and downloads.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Multiple Blog Authors

Allowing for multiple blog authors would be a great way to recognize all volunteers who contribute to a piece.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Develop Support for Non-English Script

Currently our website rosters and the mailings we send do not support non-English scripts. Our members would like for their names, written in their native languages, to display correctly.

More information from Super Volunteer Ananth Maniam:

When participants Sign up for my trip and on mailers sent to my home and when leaders email back to me. My contact name comes like below
    Ananth Maniam (??????? ??????)

This is because the (?????? ?????) are supposed to be my native script
    Ananth Maniam (ஆனந்த் மணியம்)

This feature sometime works when I print roster - It works, it doesn't work when participants…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We would very much like to implement this, and right now technical constraints make it nearly impossible. Most platforms require its owners to choose a single language (keyboard layout), for which we were required to choose English for our website (which operates on a Plone Platform). Right now, in some places, non-English text is supported, but it varies and we do not have control. The biggest issue is when we export things to our Salesforce CRM, which translates everything as plain text and thus only accepts English characters. Until our platforms are updated more broadly to accept more than one keyboard, we’re stuck with using the U.S. English language/layout. In the meantime, we encourage you to use the Bio field in your profile to celebrate your culture, heritage, or history.

17. Password Change/Reset GH3322

I was trying to change my password and couldn't figure out how despite looking at profile settings and searching for 'change password' on the site. In the end, I emailed info@mountaineers and found out that you have to use the forgotten password flow to do so.
    It seems like most sites have a 'change password' feature in the 'profile' section. It would be great to have a way to do so on the site. Alternatively, publishing a page about that might be helpful if people do search for it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Trip report input improvements

On the trip report page, allow for multiple photo uploads, have the "upload" tab come up by default when clicking to add a photo, keyboard shortcut to add a photo, and tell people upfront to save often, that they can edit after saving (I lost a ton of work).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 5, 2020.

This is the date we launched the Plone 5 Update which came with the ability to upload multiple files or images at one time.

We also added this to the help text for Trip Report rich text fields: “You can edit your trip report after saving it, so save your work early and often, especially if you’re writing a lengthy trip report.”

19. Set focus to username field in login

Please set the "focus" to the first field "username” on the login page. It's a niggly little thing to have to proactively click into the box to type in it on every login.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve My Profile Preferences View GH3064/3573/3534

Improve how a member’s preferences are displayed on the bottom of their My Profile page and to minimize confusion on where and how to change (edit) them.

Notes:
    - Don't show checkboxes or data entry boxes with their “values,” because it makes them look editable.
    - Remove help text, so that essentially only the field labels and their values are displayed and so that the view is more compact.
    - Some of the “answers” will need to be “calculated” to make the view more user-friendly.
    - Move items on the Profile Edit Form to match the My Preferences view (both…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?