Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

151 results found

1. My Activities text when empty

The text that shows when I have no future activities says: "You haven't registered for any activities yet." This is false, as the extensive activity history that opens below testifies.

I propose language such as: "You have no upcoming activities."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
  2. Testing

Testing notifications

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Admin →
  3. CHS course needs to be less restrictive

I strongly believe that the CHS course needs to loosen their restrictions on when certain requirements need to be completed. I completed my stewardship activity outside the specified time window but was told that it is too late for it to count for course completion. That keeps me from being able to participant in alumni activities. Isn't the whole purpose of the course to be encouraging, supportive, and get people outside? This course is doing the exact opposite by implementing these rigid requirements. You are making it harder to graduate from this course than to graduate from college!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Jennifer - 

Appreciate you providing your feedback on your experience. For feedback on courses or activities, we provide an avenue for your input to go directly to the course leaders. To find the feedback link, you can follow the steps below.

1. Go to your profile.

2. Select "My Courses & Programs"

3. Select "Give" in the feedback column for that specific course. 

This website is meant to gather ideas outside of specific courses/activities. That said, I am going to close this ticket, but will make sure to pass along your note above to the CHS committee. 

4. Keep Me Logged In!

For the Mountaineers website when logging in there used to be a feature to check a check box that says "Remember Me" which would keep you logged in. Now that feature is no longer there and I keep getting logged out of the website, and have to keep logging back in which is a bit of an inconvenience and annoyance.

Can the Mountaineers add that feature back to the login so I can stay logged in and I'll have to keep logging in every time I visit the website?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →
  5. Open source the website and allow members to submit pull requests

Being based in Seattle, the Mountaineers is filled with software engineers, many of whom are chomping at the bit to contribute minor (and major) website changes that would remove some significant pain point or improve the experience. There seems to be a ton of low hanging fruit that could be knocked out fairly quickly by a set of people who are among the best coders in the world.

Obviously, we can't allow anyone to make whatever changes they want, but the model most open source projects use seems reasonable to follow, especially for a non-profit, volunteer run club. That is,…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Can't create a page without it showing up in dropdown navigation - books

I create a new page under "Special Book Lists," I keep it marked private, I create a publish date for the future, and I mark "exclude from navigation" and it STILL shows up in the dropdown navigation on the live site when not logged in (and when logged in). When clicked it goes to a login page as the page is "private" but it is still showing the title of page under the Books dropdown navigation. It makes it impossible for me to create anything in advance without it showing up to the public. In this case it's for a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →
  7. Virtual option for all beta and brew events

Using Zoom for beta and brew events was great. Events that are live only seems like regression in terms of impact by driving, and time required by members (particularly those not close to the program center). I suggest streaming these events to allow members from the entire region to view, instead of only those conveniently located to the program center.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →
  8. Website access from Germany

The site seems slow from Germany.... I travel a lot but access from California is good. However from abroad it sometimes takes 3 minutes to load the homepage.
    Regards,
    Rolf

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add details to personal notification emails

Many activities (especially climbing) have specific notes from leaders that the activity is restricted to a specific group within the branch. This puts the participants in disbelief about finding climbs to go on.
    As climb leaders have gotten better at stating these restrictions on the activity page, having activity descriptions and leader notes added to the notification email would be highly appreciated by the member - so we can have a more informed decision to click on the link and reach out to the leader. This will reduce the traffic on the website and will improve the well-being of our…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

Hello KD -

Thank you for submitting your idea! We have looked into your request but due to the lack of standard across all activities mixed with our cross-activity auto-email functionality there is not a clean way to solve this member concern via email. There is another idea out there in the forum that I believe meets a similar ask as to make it clearer what activities are specific to special interest groups or branches. The open idea is here if you would like to vote for it!

https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688/suggestions/9687759

10. Email Incident Report Link Instead of Deatils GH3753

For increased security, instead of sending all the details of an incident report, send a link to the incident report that was submitted. The incident report link should be sent to:

• Safety Committee Admins
    • Chair of sponsoring branch
    • Chair of sponsoring committee
    • Leader of activity
    • Report submitter
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Safety  ·  Admin →
  11. Add buy button to search results

Add an "add to cart" button on books products in the search results (see attached screenshot).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →
  12. Cicero Congressional District Matching for Salesforce Contacts ~Salesforce

Our colleagues at American Whitewater turned us on to Salesforce congressional district matching through an application called Cicero. Having this kind of legislative information handy for our Salesforce contacts would be very valuable for our conservation and advocacy program, both from a digital advocacy standpoint, as well as for future congressional events/legislator engagements. American Whitewater staff found the application affordable and valuable for them. Cicero can be used in conjunction with a Tech Soup account. Thanks for your consideration!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Inclusion with senior/ adult members wanting to add kids as guest to family activities

When you go to try to select a "Guest Family" membership and already have a different type of membership you get the message:

"You are choosing to change your membership from Senior or Adult to Guest Family. Click OK to continue, or Cancel to keep your current membership type."
    Could this be added to this message: "Please contact member services at info@mountaineers.org if you would like to include a family member as a guest and are not able to upgrade to a family
    membership at this time. We may be able to assist you."

This will support family in all…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

Hello Melody -

Thank you for submitting your idea! Our Family memberships support all types of families and is built to

group multiple profiles together. That said, your scenario of grandparents with grandchildren would fall under this membership type!

As for the price difference between a Senior and Family membership, we believe all people should have access to and feel belonging in the outdoors, regardless of financial means. To support this belief, we offer scholarships that can be applied to memberships or certain activities. The

scholarship page lives underneath our membership section and is highlighted on our membership navigation bar to assist people in finding this opportunity. A

Senior could apply for a scholarship to assist in paying the price difference between a Senior and Family membership.

At this time, we plan to continue to support the use case you mentioned with the processes we have in

place, but appreciate the…

14. Add COVID-19 badge to activity and lodge stay rosters

To make vaccine verification easier, a number of volunteers have asked about adding a COVID-19 Vaccine badge column directly to activity rosters, viewable from the main roster page. This way leaders don't have to download rosters or click into individual member profiles.

Additionally, lodge stay rosters do not have the same badge field that activity rosters have. A number of lodge hosts have expressed the need to be able to view badges from the roster page, in any format (but preferably through a direct COVID-19 Vaccine badge column).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →
  15. Phone Hyperlink

Taking a phone call today from a member, they were frustrated that a when they viewed a phone number on mountaineers.org from their phone browser, they were not able to click on it and have it automatically call. They see this feature on other websites and would like to submit it for improvement for ours.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Bri - I am working through the UV tickets as part of our updated UV status/pipeline process and wanted to let you know that I am closing this ticket due to the lack of additional votes and the updates to smart phones that should solve this issue. Now on phones, if the number is not already a clickable link, you can hold down on the number and then the phone will provide multiple options including to call the number or to copy and paste it into their preferred app for calling. To learn more about the updated feedback status options and process, visit this blog: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/new-technology-experience-manager-feedback-management-improvements

16. Allow primary leaders to uncheck their "show as contact" for an activity

Course and course lecture/field trip leaders are increasingly utilizing generic Committee profiles or Basic Course profiles as the Primary Leader for course related activities to make sharing the workload of answering participant questions and managing the rosters easier. Burnout is a common consideration I hear from leaders choosing to do this.

However we need real people to lead activities for many reasons, chief among them are:
    • Someone from The Mountaineers (or approved by us) needs to be on site and manage the participants.
    • Our emergency and leadership teams needs to know who is in charges in case an…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →
  17. Closing canceled activities

I'm requesting that we change the way the website works for cancelled activities that were never open for registration. If I cancelled it I shouldn't have to close it too. Canceling should close it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Road condition

It can be a little difficult to get a clear idea about road conditions from the activity description. It would be helpful if a section is added specifically for this purpose.

The description can include weather factors (such as snow, ice), road quality (fully paved, gravel, large potholes), and lastly type of cars preferred (accessible for all cars, accessible for 4WD, tire chains required).

This would help participants plan better, arrange carpools if needed. It would also reduce the need for organizers to respond to individual questions from participants regarding road conditions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSO and Salesforce integration for MyTurn gear library database

We'll be transitioning to MyTurn in Fall 2021-Winter 2022 to manage our Gear Library inventory and lending. In an ideal world, I'd love to have SSO between MyTurn and The Mountaineers website, and to also have MyTurn data import into Salesforce so we can track lending against other member activity.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Rename "Exploring Nature" as "Nature hikes"

I'm a new member, having been unable to hike for years because of joint replacement surgeries. I am starting out with nature hikes because they are often less strenuous. It took awhile to find the right page, because the hikes were labeled "Exploring Nature." It would be easier to find this page if it were called "Nature hikes."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base