Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

180 results found

1. When a leader sets a trip to 'private' status, turn off visibility to leaders

Sometimes a committee administrator has time to create multiple listings in advance on behalf of leaders but doesn't want them to be visible to anyone until the trip opens for registration, so they set them to 'private' for a few days or weeks. Particularly the case for Global Adventures but also for some course field trips. However right now all listings are visible to any leader even when marked private. The whole point of marking something private is so that no one gets the advantage of advance visibility for that activity. Can we make any 'private' status activity be invisible…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
  2. Electronic Lodge Sign-in

Add the ability for people to sign in electronically when the get to a lodge.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed  ·  1 comment  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →
  3. Activity Seach Option: Meet Prerequisites SD640

Have an option to filter out activities you are not eligible. For example, I am a glacier travel graduate who can do certain climbs, but not all. It would be neat if I could filter out the activities that I do not have the proper badge for!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

Hello Matthew -

Thank you for submitting an idea. However, this is quite a challenging thing to do for us to implement as it would require an individual's badge status to be included in each search. This also would not take into account badges that may be in progress and completed by the time the activity/course begins. Unfortunately this is not something we are in the position to do any time soon so I am going to close this idea. If things change, we can re-open and consider this again.

4. Three day head start for basic students who don't yet have 3 climbs

Good afternoon Jeff,

Jim Nelson asked that I get in contact with you about a website feature we would like to explore in support of the Basic Climbing Course. We would like for the website to be able to flag Basic Course students who have not yet completed three climbs and give them a three-day head start in signing up for Basic climbs. As soon as a student has three successful climbs, the flag comes off and they have the same priority in signing up for climbs as prior-year Basic course graduates.

This change addresses two long-simmering concerns:

1. It gives…
    15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Header Messaging Capability SD517

We added a home page pop-up a while ago for getting important communications out to members and guests.

This would be rich text that appear in a box/stripe that appears just below the header (and above the admin panel if it is visible) so that we can present members and guests with a less obtrusive way to highlight things that we thing are really important. Also allow members and guests to close this message until it is refreshed (changed entirely or edited).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
  6. Create @mountaineers.org email address for committees

Currently a number of committees have created Gmail addresses, which are shared between chairs, course leaders, etc. It seems like there should be @mountaineers.org addresses for this

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
  7. Gift Certificates, Gift Cards, Store Credit SD308

Set up a system where people can purchase and give electronic gift certificates that are good for books, merchandise, course and activities. Gift certificates issues in whole dollar amounts. Offer a few suggestions like ($25, $50, $100). Have the giver specify and email address of the recipient. Allow the recipient to add the gift certificate to their account (require them to create an account if needed).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

This idea was evaluated, but at this time we are not in a position to build and support gift cards or store credit as it would require a significant change to our website and accounting processes.

We do however recognize the desire to provide a way that people could ask for a Mountaineers related gift. One idea that is a smaller lift that we hope to evaluate further and prioritize is allowing current members to be gifted their membership (at full price) or next year. Currently, we only run a program that allows people to gift new membership at a discount. We encourage people to consider voting for this idea if they previously were interested in store credit or gift cards.

https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688/suggestions/41886511

8. Publicly accessible API

As a member of the Mountaineers, I'd love to give back in a way that I have particular expertise.

It would be great of the website had a public facing REST API for exposing data such as events and classes.

At least in a read capacity. My particular goal would be to write an Android (and possibly iOS) app to browse the events and what not.

It would be great to have easy native access to my up coming events, and be able to launch navigation to the event right from the app.

I have extensive experience writing and working…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
  9. My Calendar SD411

Add a "My Calendar" page where I can see all of my activities on a calendar, or subscribe to an iCal feed of my activities.

Update April 2018
    We are "cancelling" this for lack of a better status, because each of the items below is its own idea, and some are complete. Please visit the individual items to vote for or subscribe to them. Thanks!

Update April 26 2016
    Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes are below.

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    Closed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Update April 2018
    We are “cancelling” this for lack of a better status, because each of the items below is its own idea, and some are complete. Please visit the individual items to vote for or subscribe to them. Thanks!

Update April 26 2016
    Thanks to everyone who took the leader survey. The calendar requests with the most votes are below.

1. The ability to filter by weekday or weekend which we are tracking here: http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7910340-weekend-activities-filter

2. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity. This is part of the Alerts & Notification idea, https://mountaineers.uservoice.com/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7457242-add-bucket-tick-wish-list-and-email-notifications

3. Ability to sync outside calendar (Outlook, Google) with your Mountaineers Activities/Events which is part of the original idea above. COMPLETEALL calendar views on our website come with a iCal download, so for anything with a calendar view, you can download the relevant calendars and view them overplayed…

10. HAVE STRIPE SPLIT PAYMENTS/DEPOSITS SD350

Have Stripe split a credit card payment and distribute PC funds to its bank account while, at the same time, channeling payment for a book to the Books bank account.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add New Promo Codes for Books & Merchandise SD 410/334/332

Now that we sell books online and will soon sell merchandise online, we need a few more promo codes:

• Dollar amount discount off of shopping cart total

• Buy One Get One FREE

• Bulk Discounts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →
  12. Display activity start time next to date

Display an activity start time prominently along with the date, and as a mandatory field. It wastes time to go through several screens only to see that no time is listed, or the start time won't work for your personal schedule.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
  13. Eliminate or change the SK ratings for Sea Kayak Route/Places

From the 2/7/15 Sea Kayak Summit - all of the leaders from the represented branches at this summit (all branches except Kitsap and Bellingham) agreed that SK ratings for a route/place (NOT an "Activity") was of limited usefulness. Many agreed with the suggestion of changing the route/place rating to something more general such as "beginner, moderate," or other phrases that referred to the amount of POTENTIAL exposure, but did not purport to address all of the varying conditions that could occur at different times and in different weather.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →
    Closed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Chris Williams worked with our Sea Kayaking Leadership on this issue. It was decided that having difficulties on Sea Kayaking Routes & Places is desired. Like all trips, difficulties can vary widely based on weather and other conditions.

14. Beef up our route-place database to include all of the routes-places in the '100-best' books

The system has such capacity for displaying our routes and places in an attractive and appealing way, with enough detail to know where the trailhead is and whether or not it covers the route or place that one wants to take. It seems a huge missed opportunity to let routes-places be submitted without even the most basic of descriptions other than the pure length and elevation gain, which doesn't tell us much. Yet I know that Member Services is deluged with route place requests that are so urgent that you hesitate to push back. I wonder if we might be…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

Hello All - Thank you for your interest in this idea! I think everyone would agree that there are opportunities to enhance and build out our routes and places further. While we do the best we can at staff to handle the updates submitted by members to our current routes, we are not in a position to staff this process to its fullest. If improvements to the process are going to be made, it will have to come through passionate volunteers. If a group does decide to organize around routes places, we will see where and how staff can support as we do for other committees/groups.

As it relates to the 100 best hikes, I do believe that we have all 100 in our routes/places database. If you believe a few are missing, please share that information with info@mountaineers.org as that is something we would be happy to prioritize as…

15. Create a badge for New Leader Mentors

Would help prospective leaders and activity committee members identify willing mentors without spamming the entire leader roster.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
  16. Add "feedback" link on the books pages

Can we add a "feedback" hyperlink to the bottom of the books home page like there is on all the programs pages?

thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →
  17. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
  18. Change Kitsap Branch Name to Peninsula Branch GH2736

Long time members of the branch did not think Kitsap captured the true nature of the branch's membership, so voted to rename to Peninsula branch. I expect some increase in membership from the Olympic Peninsula, where more people will feel like this is "their" branch. I do not think this will be significant in the overall scale of membership, of which Kitsap is a small part.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
  19. Separate Site Search Results for Images SD644

In the site search, place all search results except images in one "tab" and images in another.

We also have a lot of folders, especially ones titled, "Images" and "Resources," so we may want to have "tab" for folders too or rank them low in search results.

This will help rank more important items higher in the search (e.g. a person's profile page above their profile image).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →
  20. Create an Authors Group GH2801

Can we create a separate group for Mountaineers Books authors, for easier management? Thanks much!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base