General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any forum idea and will be notified of status changes to that idea. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization. We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum first before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation of your idea and how it benefits The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what has already been developed and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips and course-related activities have feedback forms so that you give feedback for every activity in which you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior by another member or harassment. Please submit a Behavioral Complaint Form.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update Billing Info for Automatic Renewal GH1977

The billing info associated with autorenewal payments is not getting updated in tandem with the user’s profile. Let's tweak the process to update the autorenewal billing info whenever the profile is updated, or at least give users the option to also update their billing info when they update their payment card info.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with The Mountaineers
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Blog Title Text from Running into Photos GH1959

When longer words are used in blogs we are getting the image for the blog overlaid on top of the title text.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change to automatic renewal process GH1692

The Mountaineers should change the way they handle automatic membership renewal. Currently on the website people are opted into automatic renewal by default when they pay their dues. The checkbox is small and easy to miss, leading to a fair amount of people getting opted into automatic renewal unknowingly. There are concerns that this borders on a privacy violation and may violate some privacy regulations.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Save button at the top of registration windows GH1482

This will be super helpful for mobile users trying to manage their rosters. Right now after adding some to the roster it is very hard to scroll down and Save them. This should be done for the Add Person to Courses, Activities and Event registration windows.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

We added a “Save” button at the top of every “Add person to roster” and “Edit” popup so that it is quicker and easier to save a record when on the top few field must be completed for the add or edit being done.

5. Sell Gift Certificates SD308

Set up a system where people can purchase and give electronic gift certificates that are good for books, merchandise, course and activities. Gift certificates issues in whole dollar amounts. Offer a few suggestions like ($25, $50, $100). Have the giver specify and email address of the recipient. Allow the recipient to add the gift certificate to their account (require them to create an account if needed).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to see 'what trips i have done with this person'

It would be great if I could look up a person, and see the trips i've done with them in the past, along with their badges. So many times, we end up playing the 'i've been out with you somewhere. were you on my Norse Peak trip? no? may be on Snoqualmie last year then?' :)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add tracking mechanism to members page for mileage and altitude gained on club trips for yearly totals-ie:100,000ft gained, etc.

This would enhance club trip participation- esp among members that join groups like Meet Up and others. Would drive demand for more trips- esp hikes, hopefully driving more Leader participation as a result. It'd also be fun- great for bragging rights.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  5 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Honorary Members

Have a place on our site about our honorary members.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make it easier for us to organize carpools

And have communication between trip participants be easier.

More specifically we would like to see whether person
    A) wants to carpool
    B) ride or drive
    C) where they are coming from
    D) Be able to contact them or potentially the whole group of people who wants to carpool in one swift email.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

This was completed and launched on 12/8. If you have further suggestions about this tool please continue to list on the feedback site.

10. Update Gift Memberships Pricing Portlets GH2926

Update portlet text for Gift Memberships to show new price. Right now on the gift membership page and on the next page it shows the original price for memberships, not the discounted gift price, and it should probably show the regular price crossed out with the gift price in red. So for the holidays (December) it will be 25% off, and for any time earlier it will be 15% off.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Exception for seniors.

Exception for seniors.
    Reference: BAKER’S DOZEN Offered by the Bellingham Branch, asks that you climb no more than 5 peaks per year to achieve this, but since I will be just short of 65 next year when I attempt it, I was wondering if an exception might be made for seniors, since we may not live long enough for multi-year attempts.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Functionality for youth in family memberships who age out GH2747/2773

When a youth who is a Mountaineers member turns 18, they should receive a "happy birthday" email (with the primary account holder copied) saying:
    "Happy birthday! We're so grateful that you and your family have given The Mountaineers a chance to play a role in your formative years. We hope you feel like you're part of the family. We know that your late teens and early 20's are busy years. We hope you can still stay involved, but even if life takes you on new adventures, we want you to know that we still consider you part of our family,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Financial Assistance Link on Course/Activity Layout GH2749

Should say "Apply for Financial Assistance"
    We'd also like to move the Cancellation and Refund link below Availability so we have text that breaks up the two links.

https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/financial-assistance

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Create "Trip Reporter" Badge

What if we created a “Trip Reporter” badge (or some such name) to award to folks who leave 5+ trip reports a year? This would encourage more people to leave trip reports, and help with our goals to gamify membership engagement.

Here's a good trip reporter example: https://www.mountaineers.org/members/dave-morgan/trip-reports

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Connect Senior Household Memberships

Add functionality to connect Senior households memberships where both people in the household can switch between accounts, just like Family accounts.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have a number of critical items currently on our high priority list, and while this would certainly be a benefit for our senior members, this project does not yet have enough votes to warrant higher prioritization, and, because it’s an improvement to existing functionality, we must prioritize it below things which need to be fixed or built for the first time.

16. Have a couple of pages in the magazine to post gear for sale - would be a great service to both seller and buyer

Have a couple of pages in the magazine to post gear for sale - would be a great service for both seller and buyer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Declined  ·  Tess Wendel responded

Hi Sharon,
    Right now our magazine only comes out quarterly which means if you want something to show up for Spring magazine (mar/april/may). you have to have your gear contribution in by January 1. This is a long time to plan out selling something. After talking with additional folks interested in selling gear we’ve determined that gear sellers need to be able to have a more timely place to advertise gear. There is also no way to indicate that gear has been sold.

We encourage folks to use Mountaineers Marketplace "https://www.facebook.com/groups/377304859047281/

17. Add a My Blog Posts Page GH2829

Add a "My Blog Posts" page to the My Profile area so that members can find their own blog posts and blog posts by their favorite member bloggers more easily.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a My Trip Reports Page GH2419 & 2631

Add a "My Trip Reports" page to the My Profile area so that members can find their own trip reports and trip reports by others easier.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Table of badge dates

On the "My Activities" page there's a "Review Participation Notes" blue button. When I click on that and scroll all the way to the bottom it shows when my badges were added and when they expire. This table of dates is super handy, but having it located here is really klunky.

It seems like all this badge date info should be at the bottom of the "My Profile" page. It would also be nice to list along with the Expire date if it has expired but it's still in the grace period.

I know you already added a date tooltips…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SEO Improvements 2017-18 GHP1 SD587

We engaged Portent, Inc. to review our website from an SEO (Search Engine Optimization, e.g. Google) perspective. They gave us a set of recommendations that involve both technical and content improvements to our website. Overall, this is likely a large project, but will likely be many very small projects that we can accomplish with our monthly support over time.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base