Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. Show enrolled courses in course roster CSV export

As a course administrator, I often need to know if students are enrolled in their co-requisite courses so I can send them appropriate reminders. In some cases, such as scrambling, we actually bump students off the roster who don't have or enroll in Wilderness Navigation before the course starts.

With the course roster CSV export, I can determine if someone has already completed Navigation. However, there's no way for me to know if someone has is enrolled in the course without manually going to every student's profile and checking their course list. This is as abysmally slow as it sounds.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add the option to have hosts notified by e-mail when people register for a lodge stay

I would like the ability for hosts to elect to receive E-mails when a new person registers or cancels a lodge stay.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Activity Registration Confirmation Email Change for Carbon Footprint Reduction ~Salesforce

Per conversations with Jeff and Amber, I'm submitting feedback requesting tweaks to the confirmation email registrants receive after signing up for Mountaineers trips. The conservation and development teams would like to give registrants the option to partially offset their transportation-related carbon associated with each Mountaineers trip by donating to a Mountaineers Carbon Footprint Reduction campaign. We understand that prompting for this donation in the existing registration confirmation email would be an initial way to achieve this. Funds raised from this campaign would go toward energy reduction/net-zero projects at the Seattle Program Center and other efforts to reduce the carbon footprint…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Waiver Expiration Date Column to Roster

Add a column to the program committee roster (or individual course rosters) displaying the waiver expiration date. Today the FT Coordinators find out about expired waivers only when they are trying to add instructors to the activity. Instead, a column in the roster (main committee roster or individual course roster) will help them proactively act on the situation.

I assume other programs and branches will also benefit from this column as the process for waiver verification is cumbersome! Happy to chat more if needed! Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add the concept of an "after hours" weekday activity, allow for filtering by that value

Based on https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7486552-display-activity-start-time-next-to-date

Many people work during the day. It would be useful if we could search for activities that are designed to be "after work".

The original concept of filtering by start time was shot down in 2016, maybe this concept of a binary flag is more achievable?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide Activity Feedback from participants/students to Asst. & Co- Leaders

After an activity participants are asked to provide feedback. This feedback loop is an important component of leadership development and allows leaders to learn how their approach is being received. However, Asst and Co-Leaders do not have access to this information and miss out on a valuable learning opportunity. For some, especially less experienced Asst Leaders, they may be tempted to emulate behavior they saw from a leader without the knowledge of how that was received by participants. In addition there may be comments, good or bad, about the Asst/Co- Leaders. Seems like not automatically sharing this with the entire…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Data request: How many people did we get outside?

submitting my formal data request to build a report to answer the question “how many people did we get outside?”

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Proposed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show elevation gain and distance on search page for activities

Might not be applicable for all activity types, but it would be really helpful to see some basic stats for hiking, backpacking, and scrambling without needing to click on each activity. "Difficulty" isn't consistent enough. Technical for scrambling would also be nice. It would also be very helpful to allow filtering by distance/elevation

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. RSS feed for Blog entries

An RSS feed is an easy way to allow readers to learn of and read blog entries without visiting the site. As it is, I don't remember to visit the site and check the blog often enough. My online reading is almost entirely through RSS feeds to the new sites and magazines I follow. Building an RSS feed is straightforward, does not have to display in the user interface, and requires no maintenance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add email alert for canceled activities

Seems as if several outings I was interested in for this summer have been canceled including one I was going to register for today. It would be great if a message about cancellations could go out in the same fashion as announcements for new activities so we don't hold dates open on our calendars or make travel arrangements for events which aren't taking place.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Proposed  ·  2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Adding a Section/Tab to Books for Awards

An idea we had some time ago was creating an Awards tab, much like "Descriptions" "Reviews" "Video" -- but at the time we decided against it because we thought it would be best to highlight it in the Description field anyways.

But now that the feed to our 3rd parties are being more restrictive on the level of HTML we can have, the above argument against holds a lot less ground.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Proposed  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Simple and Effective Feedback Surveys & Incident Reports

(1) Keep it simple and quick to attract more feedback.
    (2) For instance, we could have multi-choice or single-choice questions on page 1 (change it to cover a bigger picture than we do already) and have a conditional page if people wish to add more comments/improvements if they wish to.
    (3) Separate the near-miss report and incident report. They serve different purposed and requires attention and follow-up on a different scale.

These are my thoughts; hope we can achieve to bring more feedback from participants by making it easy and quick. And also, by creating open culture to encourage near…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Proposed  ·  1 comment  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add Total Column on "View Lodge Stay Rosters" Summary Section

In the "View Lodge Stay Rosters" "Summary" section add a "Hosts, Volunteers & Participants" column that is the sum of the "Hosts & Volunteers" + "Participants" columns.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Proposed  ·  0 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Clustering to Map Search GH2793

WTA uses a cool cluster feature on their Hike Finder Map- this would allow us to show more of our listings on the zoomed out view. https://www.wta.org/go-outside/map

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add Additional Price/Age Options for Lodge Stays SD666

Add additional age groups for different lodge pricing. Some lodges allow younger members others don't and Meany previously had toddler pricing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Prevent Recursion & Cycles in Bundled Lodge Stays

[Kevin] A bundled night has a "qualifying purchase" and an "add-on".

You should not be able to chain bundled nights together. This is pretty easy to fix: If a relationship exists, show it on both. The relationship should only be editable from the add-on item, and should be displayed in a read-only manner on the qualifying purchaser.

Friday 1/6 (editable) -> Saturday1/7 (read-only)
    Saturday1/7 -> Friday 1/14 <--- not allowed, b/c Saturday 1/7 has a relationship already
    Friday 1/14 -> Friday 1/6 <---- not allowed, b/c Friday 1/6 has a relationship already

[Jeff} There are probably two parts to this:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Proposed  ·  0 comments  ·  Lodges  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Tailor receipt (thank you) page messages to items purchased SD344

Add six rich text fields to the Thank You page for each of these item types: membership, course, activity, book, merchandise, donation. Each field would be displayed if the shopping cart contains and item of its type.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?