Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

412 results found

1. Ptarmigan winter observations request

Goat Peak above Mazama had Ptarmigan in the 1980s when I used to lead cross-country helicopter assisted ski tours. The single nature article in the winter issue of the Mountaineer Magazine, which I get online so it's hard to read, requested this feedback. As a retired national park ranger-naturalist and heli-ski guide, of course I appreciate almost any nature content, and encourage more.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your support of the ptarmigan and citizen science efforts. While directly working with scientists is outside of the scope of our mission, we are happy to promote these efforts when possible. For that reason we published the ptarmigan citizen science article in our Winter 2020 issue of Mountaineer. That article was also turned into a blog which now lives on our website: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/citizen-science-white-tailed-ptarmigan-ghost-birds-of-the-winter-cascades. A link to the blog is cross posted in our Virtual Education Center as well to continue to encourage people to engage: https://www.mountaineers.org/courses/virtual-education-center#conservation-advocacy.

2. Goal Oriented Course Sequence Training Plans

Hello Mountaineer Community!

I'm new to the club, so forgive me if this question has either previously been asked or if the answers currently already exist.

Would it be possible to have a recommended course & activity sequence plan that was goal oriented? For example: I would like to climb Mt. Rainier. What courses and activities would be best to position me for such an attempt, and in what sequence?

From what I've seen many of the classes act as stand alone training and education programs with some degree of overlap to ensure critical skill coverage.

Anyway, I just thought…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Password Change/Reset GH3322

I was trying to change my password and couldn't figure out how despite looking at profile settings and searching for 'change password' on the site. In the end, I emailed info@mountaineers and found out that you have to use the forgotten password flow to do so.
    It seems like most sites have a 'change password' feature in the 'profile' section. It would be great to have a way to do so on the site. Alternatively, publishing a page about that might be helpful if people do search for it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Trip closure delinquency notice ~SFOnly

Automatically mail out to leaders on a quarterly basis a list of trips that have not yet been closed out, say are one month past.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Trip report input improvements

On the trip report page, allow for multiple photo uploads, have the "upload" tab come up by default when clicking to add a photo, keyboard shortcut to add a photo, and tell people upfront to save often, that they can edit after saving (I lost a ton of work).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 5, 2020.

This is the date we launched the Plone 5 Update which came with the ability to upload multiple files or images at one time.

We also added this to the help text for Trip Report rich text fields: “You can edit your trip report after saving it, so save your work early and often, especially if you’re writing a lengthy trip report.”

6. Promo Codes: Convert "Specific Product Use" to Multiselect GH3278

Change the "Specific Product Use" field to accept more than a single item (ie, several books).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Leader resources tab

Can we have a leader resource stab which could outline:
    Master list of climbs
    Field Trip Lottery dates
    Shared resources like manuals, application drafts, graduation drafts, etc.
    Many more things I'm sure I haven't thought of...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. In addition to Leave no Trace consider As an Outdoor Ambassador, removing traces left by others

Not unusual to see some trash on the trail or campsite. Be a good steward, pick it up and pack it out. Consider always carrying a trash bag in your pack for this. It often only takes a few seconds to pick it up. Help keep the outdoors pristine! :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing your idea. We agree that people should be good stewards of our natural places. In addition to sharing the principles of Leave No Trace as part of our Outdoor Ambassador program, we also regularly share responsible recreation tips with our community on our website, in our emails, and on social media. Most of our courses teach the “campsite rule”, to leave a place better than you found it, and many of our course students are required to complete eight hours of stewardship credit to graduate. For our latest resource, visit our blog from September 25, 2020, highlighting Leave No Trace tips for new hikers: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/leave-no-trace-tips-for-new-hikers.

9. Only insert new instructors to course roster GH3157

When an instructor signs up for a workshop or field trip then they are automatically added as an "Instructor" at the course level, I believe this is new functionality. However, if that person is already set as a course "Leader" then they are demoted to be a course "Instructor". It seems like the new automatic behavior should only happen if the person is not currently on the course roster.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. book recommendations

It would be nice if we could recommend books other than those published by the Mountaineers. For the Naturalists' annual course, they use a book that is better than what the Mountaineers has published. For the Photography Committee, there are really only two instruction books published by the Mountaineers. We should be able to add any book listed on Amazon to better help our students.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. On daily alert, display the day of the week GH3076/3077

The new Daily alert feature is nice, but it would be more helpful if it displayed the day of the week in the message. Most people are available only on certain days.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow Site Admins to Delete Comments GH2498

Allow Site Admins (i.e. Staff group) to delete comments on content items. So far we mostly have comments on blogs. This is needed for improved comment moderation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Automated email notification for people in waitlist x days before the course start

Currently some courses have lots of people in the wait list. Some of these people are registered in the wait list months before the course starts. If there is an automated notification to remind them that they are still on the waitlist. And ask them to cancel from the waitlist if they already have some other plans. Hopefully we will end up only with those who are still interested in taking the course. So we can offer the course to those who are still interested and we don't waste time offering to those who are already have other plans.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Activity, Course, Event Feedback: Email to Safety Committee SD378

As safety@mountaineers.org, I get an email when a participant answers "yes" to a "was there a safety concern or incident" question on a feedback survey about whether there was a safety concern on the activity, course or event. The participant's comments along with some meta data about the activity, course or event and the participant along with the participant's comments will be included in the email.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Safety  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow Participants to Submit Incident Reports SD469

As an activity participant, I can report an incident, so that I can better communicate the details of an incident to the Safety Committee like the leader does.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Store "Autopopulated" Data in Stored Incident Reports GH2705

When an Incident Report is submitted, we gather information from the activity, route/place, contact (leader), etc. to send by email and store in the data file. We also store the individual responses as content items and want the "autopopulated" info from the activity, route/place, etc. to be stored with each submission.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Prevent Deleting Incident Report Data and Incident Report GH2609

In Revise Save Data Adapter View, http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/37329700-revise-save-data-adapter-view-gh2941, we made it more difficult to empty the saved form data file, but for the Incident Report Form, we want to make it so that only Site Managers (the highest level of site admins) can delete this form or any per of it and hide the "Clear saved input" link from everyone but them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Revise Save Data Adapter View GH2941

The PFG "Save to Data" adapter view (see attached) make it seem to easy to delete the entire data set, because the "Clear Saved Input" button is too prominent. I think it would be best is the big blue button were changed to be "Download Saved Data" and we add a "Clear saved data" link at the right of the page.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. It would help if when the leader enters the title that was previously a designated trail if it clearly shows this trail is still included un

It would help if when the leader enters a Routes and Places title that was previously a designated trail in planning a future trip if it clearly shows this trail is still included under a different route/place name

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We already have this capability. Thee are two places where we can indicate alternate titles, the Summary and the Title tab. Examples of each of these to this suggestion form Mount Olympus/Blue Glacier, https://www.mountaineers.org/activities/routes-places/mount-olympus-blue-glacier.

Also, the text in the Summary field and the titles in the Titles tab are indexed and used to rank results high in search results, so it should be easy to find Routes & Places by any of its alternate titles or words from the Summary.

If there are specific Routes & Places where we need to improve the Summary to indicate all of the options and variations for a route, or we need to add titles to the alternate titles list, please use the Route/Place Updates, Images & Resources Form, https://www.mountaineers.org/activities/route-place-updates-images-resources.

If you find an activity you led in the past on your My Activities page, you can find the route/place in that…

20. Fix rich text fields in our form builders so that are mobile accessible.

In order to make application processes simple for the applicants, we need to be able to allow the applicant to hyperlink other documents into an application, which we use a rich text field for. these rich text fields are not accessible (or even visible) on mobile, so we're getting applications with blank answers, and the applicant didn't even know there were questions they missed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Completed May 2019. We “fixed” existing forms that have/had rich text fields.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base