Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

412 results found

1. Road and parking conditions at trailhead

This idea is to address via the Mountaineers website a forum or better way of organizing info on trailhead parking, access road conditions, and trail conditions, the concept would be to have an easy convenient way for trip leaders and/or participants (plus any Mountaineers member doing a private trip) to have a central location where they would post information on the status of the trailhead access road, and how much snow or mud there is on the trail, which is always a question mark during the Spring and early Summer.

Currently the only method I am aware of is to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing your idea. We currently encourage our members to share trip reports after their trips, and they are prompted to report on things like trail and road conditions. All of our routes and places also link to the websites for local land managers, which often have the most updated information on these specific locations. We would love to see more trip reports on our website, and will continue to encourage our members to do so, and we encourage the use of the linked resources already available to assess conditions.

2. Improve MORE+ button

From feedback, it appears that many people fail to notice the "more+" button in activities, especially on cellphones. Because they don't see it, they don't read all the important info in leader's notes. The More+ button should be more prominent...possibly a brighter, solid color button? Better yet, how about all the info about the trip expanded so it's never missed?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ptarmigan winter observations request

Goat Peak above Mazama had Ptarmigan in the 1980s when I used to lead cross-country helicopter assisted ski tours. The single nature article in the winter issue of the Mountaineer Magazine, which I get online so it's hard to read, requested this feedback. As a retired national park ranger-naturalist and heli-ski guide, of course I appreciate almost any nature content, and encourage more.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your support of the ptarmigan and citizen science efforts. While directly working with scientists is outside of the scope of our mission, we are happy to promote these efforts when possible. For that reason we published the ptarmigan citizen science article in our Winter 2020 issue of Mountaineer. That article was also turned into a blog which now lives on our website: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/citizen-science-white-tailed-ptarmigan-ghost-birds-of-the-winter-cascades. A link to the blog is cross posted in our Virtual Education Center as well to continue to encourage people to engage: https://www.mountaineers.org/courses/virtual-education-center#conservation-advocacy.

4. Goal Oriented Course Sequence Training Plans

Hello Mountaineer Community!

I'm new to the club, so forgive me if this question has either previously been asked or if the answers currently already exist.

Would it be possible to have a recommended course & activity sequence plan that was goal oriented? For example: I would like to climb Mt. Rainier. What courses and activities would be best to position me for such an attempt, and in what sequence?

From what I've seen many of the classes act as stand alone training and education programs with some degree of overlap to ensure critical skill coverage.

Anyway, I just thought…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Password Change/Reset GH3322

I was trying to change my password and couldn't figure out how despite looking at profile settings and searching for 'change password' on the site. In the end, I emailed info@mountaineers and found out that you have to use the forgotten password flow to do so.
    It seems like most sites have a 'change password' feature in the 'profile' section. It would be great to have a way to do so on the site. Alternatively, publishing a page about that might be helpful if people do search for it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Books & Maps: Add a Revision Date GH3284

For books and maps, add a Revision Date in addition to the Publication Date. This is helpful for book reprint dates where some corrections and revisions may be made. It is especially helpful for maps there generally do not have new editions that get a new ISBN and Publication Date, but are revised and updated every few years.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Trip closure delinquency notice ~SFOnly

Automatically mail out to leaders on a quarterly basis a list of trips that have not yet been closed out, say are one month past.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Trip report input improvements

On the trip report page, allow for multiple photo uploads, have the "upload" tab come up by default when clicking to add a photo, keyboard shortcut to add a photo, and tell people upfront to save often, that they can edit after saving (I lost a ton of work).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 5, 2020.

This is the date we launched the Plone 5 Update which came with the ability to upload multiple files or images at one time.

We also added this to the help text for Trip Report rich text fields: “You can edit your trip report after saving it, so save your work early and often, especially if you’re writing a lengthy trip report.”

9. Promo Codes: Convert "Specific Product Use" to Multiselect GH3278

Change the "Specific Product Use" field to accept more than a single item (ie, several books).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Pre-populate times on cloned events with those from the event being cloned GH3276

When cloning an event, pre-populate the event times and setup times with the times from the event being cloned. But keep them editable. Normally, a monthly meeting is going to be at the same time. Pre-populating will reduce the chance of entry errors as well. I caught several of my own mistakes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Leader resources tab

Can we have a leader resource stab which could outline:
    Master list of climbs
    Field Trip Lottery dates
    Shared resources like manuals, application drafts, graduation drafts, etc.
    Many more things I'm sure I haven't thought of...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. In addition to Leave no Trace consider As an Outdoor Ambassador, removing traces left by others

Not unusual to see some trash on the trail or campsite. Be a good steward, pick it up and pack it out. Consider always carrying a trash bag in your pack for this. It often only takes a few seconds to pick it up. Help keep the outdoors pristine! :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing your idea. We agree that people should be good stewards of our natural places. In addition to sharing the principles of Leave No Trace as part of our Outdoor Ambassador program, we also regularly share responsible recreation tips with our community on our website, in our emails, and on social media. Most of our courses teach the “campsite rule”, to leave a place better than you found it, and many of our course students are required to complete eight hours of stewardship credit to graduate. For our latest resource, visit our blog from September 25, 2020, highlighting Leave No Trace tips for new hikers: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/leave-no-trace-tips-for-new-hikers.

13. Only insert new instructors to course roster GH3157

When an instructor signs up for a workshop or field trip then they are automatically added as an "Instructor" at the course level, I believe this is new functionality. However, if that person is already set as a course "Leader" then they are demoted to be a course "Instructor". It seems like the new automatic behavior should only happen if the person is not currently on the course roster.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. book recommendations

It would be nice if we could recommend books other than those published by the Mountaineers. For the Naturalists' annual course, they use a book that is better than what the Mountaineers has published. For the Photography Committee, there are really only two instruction books published by the Mountaineers. We should be able to add any book listed on Amazon to better help our students.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Bulk add participants to rosters

It would be great to be able to add multiple people to a roster at one time instead of having to do a multi-step process for each person. This would be especially helpful for committees and youth programs who have recurring events with the same people. It would allow committees to easily add and then bulk update volunteers hours tracking.

Please see the attached image for an example.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. On daily alert, display the day of the week GH3076/3077

The new Daily alert feature is nice, but it would be more helpful if it displayed the day of the week in the message. Most people are available only on certain days.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Pre-order/Backorder vs. Shopping Cart Clarification GH3072/3547

As a user, when pre/backordering something show me a notification that this process is separate from my other items (if I have other available items in my cart).

I'd like to see some sort of alert during/before reaching "/delayed-shipping" page that back/pre orders are not processed at the same time as the rest of the items in my cart. Reason being I'd like to avoid confusion during/after user has input all their information.

Ideally, is it possible to...
    1) Check if the cart is currently empty (if so, proceed as usual)
    2) If cart /= empty, perhaps an in-frame pop-up?…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improve My Profile Preferences View GH3064/3573/3534

Improve how a member’s preferences are displayed on the bottom of their My Profile page and to minimize confusion on where and how to change (edit) them.

Notes:
    - Don't show checkboxes or data entry boxes with their “values,” because it makes them look editable.
    - Remove help text, so that essentially only the field labels and their values are displayed and so that the view is more compact.
    - Some of the “answers” will need to be “calculated” to make the view more user-friendly.
    - Move items on the Profile Edit Form to match the My Preferences view (both…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Pre-orders & Backorders: Add Next Available Date GH2991

• Add a Next Available Date to the Book content type.
    • Add it to the Acumen-Plone nightly sync: InvProduct.NextRelease_Date
    • Sync it to Salesforce: Product.NextAvailableDate__c
    • Replace now hidden "Out of stock" text with: For pre-orders: "This book has not yet been released and will be available {Publication Date}."
    • For backorder: "This book is currently out-of-stock. We will have it back in stock by next available date."
    • Use it for "your credit card is about to expire" pre-order/backorder email alerts
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Alerts & Notifications "Leave Blank for All Branches" GH3015

For the "Branches" field change it so that leaving it blank is the same as having selected all of the branches in the list.

Change the help text for Branches to: With these branches... (leave blank to choose all branches)

Change the help text for Activities to: Of these types... (choose at least one to get notifications)

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base