Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

50 results found

1. Display co-requisite badge status on course roster

As a course administrator, it becomes difficult to manage and check on every individual's requirements to be met for the graduation needs of the respective course. When courses require co-requisite badges in order to graduate, display the course roster with additional columns stating when the respective badge was awarded to an individual for each co-requisite badge. This will immensely improve the process for course administrators to check on verifying individuals' records before graduating them. Also, providing a great tracking tool to follow up on individuals needing more help with courses and such.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Equivalency Candidate Badges

Give Committee members the ability to award short-duration badges to Equivalency candidates, to allow candidates to manage their own instructor registrations as part of the requirements for demonstrating equivalency

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Our current system allows Committee Admins to create Equivalency Courses  for tracking and graduating Equivalency Candidates. In the Equivalency  Course Template, Committee Admins can designate an existing student  badge or a course badge as an “Enrolled Badge,” which will be assigned to Equivalency candidates for the duration of their enrollment in the Equivalency Course. This allows them to sign up for trips or instructor opportunities that require that badge so that they can meet their requirements for Equivalency.

3. Registration Portlet Checkbox Update for Adult Courses GH2751

For an adult registering for an adult course (i.e. one that's NOT a Youth Program), display this text The leader of this course has explicitly given me permission to register and I understand I may be permanently deleted from the roster if I sign up without that permission. I further verify that I have the skill requirements necessary to safely participate. {Request Leader's Permission} if no application form URL is specified and the person registering is not a youth.

For a youth registering for an adult course (i.e. one that's NOT a Youth Program"), display a checkbox with this text …

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add "Online Classroom" and "Hybrid" as filter options for courses.

In this time of Covid19, make it easier for users to sort/filter by distance learning options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Goal Oriented Course Sequence Training Plans

Hello Mountaineer Community!

I'm new to the club, so forgive me if this question has either previously been asked or if the answers currently already exist.

Would it be possible to have a recommended course & activity sequence plan that was goal oriented? For example: I would like to climb Mt. Rainier. What courses and activities would be best to position me for such an attempt, and in what sequence?

From what I've seen many of the classes act as stand alone training and education programs with some degree of overlap to ensure critical skill coverage.

Anyway, I just thought…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Only insert new instructors to course roster GH3157

When an instructor signs up for a workshop or field trip then they are automatically added as an "Instructor" at the course level, I believe this is new functionality. However, if that person is already set as a course "Leader" then they are demoted to be a course "Instructor". It seems like the new automatic behavior should only happen if the person is not currently on the course roster.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Trip closure delinquency notice ~SFOnly

Automatically mail out to leaders on a quarterly basis a list of trips that have not yet been closed out, say are one month past.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. book recommendations

It would be nice if we could recommend books other than those published by the Mountaineers. For the Naturalists' annual course, they use a book that is better than what the Mountaineers has published. For the Photography Committee, there are really only two instruction books published by the Mountaineers. We should be able to add any book listed on Amazon to better help our students.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create a course roster export that contains field trip and trip result statuses for all students and corresponding activities SD665

Have a roster download that not only shows whether the participants are signed up for the required field trips but also be able to see all the activities they are registered for to ensure that snowshoe students are getting their snowshoes, climbers are getting on climbs and kayakers are getting registered for kayak trips.

This allows leaders to pre-emptively catch students who may be behind or not registered and send them an email ahead of time instead of struggling to get makes ups scheduled.

It would also be good to see everyone who got marked as Needs Improvement/Failed in one…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Automated email notification for people in waitlist x days before the course start

Currently some courses have lots of people in the wait list. Some of these people are registered in the wait list months before the course starts. If there is an automated notification to remind them that they are still on the waitlist. And ask them to cancel from the waitlist if they already have some other plans. Hopefully we will end up only with those who are still interested in taking the course. So we can offer the course to those who are still interested and we don't waste time offering to those who are already have other plans.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add start month to automated year attached to courses etc

For courses and activities, the year auto-populates in the listing, but the accounting department needs the month to be part of that, otherwise they have to manually go into each listing to find out what month the course happens and where to book the revenue

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Instructors for seminar/clinics GH2883

I just noticed there's no option for an "instructor" role in the seminar/clinic template. Can we add this? Seminars/clinics are often course-like in that they have instructors.

thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow course leaders to offer spots to students whose offer has expired GH2971

Right now students are offered a spot and they have 5 days to complete offer and then they are put into cancelled mode. Students also can be trying to complete their offer online and for courses where you have to pick field trips they often navigate away from the screen to check calendars and when they come back the 30 minutes is up and they have been kicked into cancelled mode. Both of these cancellations usually result in the student reaching out to the course leader and the course leader is unable to offer them a spot so instead member…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Course page not loading with high volume visitation, Speed GH2785

When course participants visit this page at the same time and try and click Manage Registration no one else can visit the course page. Specifically we had about 75 out of the 100 participants were online trying to sign up for their hikes at 9:00AM yesterday. We had 25 hikes that all went "live" for registration at 9:00 (these are our April CHS hikes). The offerings were split evenly -- 12 CHS1 hikes and 13 CHS2 hikes -- and, from what I can see, the participants were attempting to sign up for a real variety, not just 2 or 3…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We’ve optimized the course page and manage course activity registration dialog, and added a sever that we can turn on as needed for times like these when there are many people registering for many course activities.

Oct 2018

15. Practice Sessions

In order to accommodate activities that are not trips and not instructional in nature, we would like to create a category called "practice sessions" that function exactly like clinics. Currently, these would be used to house pool practice sessions (currently listed as clinics) and open climb nights (currently listed as events and therefore we aren't requiring online waivers or QYL for youth to come). We (Sara, Becca, Tess) think that this could potentially require very little development and have a positive impact across the organization. I'm happy to chat more about it!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Clarify rolling enrollment confirmation emails ~SFOnly

Right now the email shows only the start date of the first course lecture/field trip which is confusing. Make it so both start and end dates show AND it states that it is rolling enrollment and the individual course dates will be shown in separate activity email

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make separate feedback form for instructors at field trips GH1865

Feedback form is identical for both participants and instructors at a field trip - the questions should be tailored differently.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We had a separate instructor feedback form for course listings only and now we have a separate form for instructors at field trips rather than the same form as participants.

We are now gathering info about whether leaders felt prepared for their role in addition to the regular safety and curriculum feedback info.

18. Hide Payment Pending from Add to Roster Dialog Box GH2755

Make it so Payment Pending is not a status available for leaders/admins to choose from the Add person to roster dialogue box. Offered is the status that should be used to hold a slot for someone in a course and allows them to process payment. Payment Pending is the quick status that someone goes into when they have 15 minutes to process course and acitivty and lodge registrations in their shopping carts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Skill Badges as Activity Prerequisites SD313/414

Some benefits to using skill badges as prerequisites for activities include:
    --Lessening bureaucracy and improving course administration. For example, Basic Climbing Admins would be able to track student progress online, rather than manually in booklets, and it can ensure that Basic Climbing students cannot register for glacier climbs until they've successfully completed glacier skills training.
    --Allowing course leaders to specify leader prerequisites for skills conditioners, allowing people to grow into leadership, broadening the leadership funnel.
    --Encouraging leaders who are reluctant to take students they don’t know on climbs to open them up, because they will be able to see more…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow application files directly uploaded to course edit form GH2764

Make it so I can directly upload my course application on the course Edit form. Having to find my url and remember which folder i uploaded my application in is confusing and not intuitive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We added a link to the help text that opens the Course Materials folder in a new tab or window so that a file or web form can be added or its URL copied more easily. It’s one click up to the course template and it’s other folders if the application form is stored in a folder other than in the Course Materials folder.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base