General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any forum idea and will be notified of status changes to that idea. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization. We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum first before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation of your idea and how it benefits The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what has already been developed and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have feedback forms so that you give feedback for everything in which you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavioral Complaint Form.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add optional "Date to Assign Student Badge" for courses

Add an option under course settings for when the "Student Badge" is assigned. Currently it is assigned when someone registers. The issue is that Student Badges are used as prerequisites for trips. This means that as soon as someone registers for the Scramble class, the website will let them sign up for Scrambles. We should wait to assign the student badge until students are far enough through the course to actually go on trips.

I'm open to other suggestions on how to handle this, but delaying issuing the badge seems like a simple to implement method.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with The Mountaineers
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Low Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Courses, Clinics & Seminars  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a trip plan upload and PLB checkbox GH2824

Add the ability to upload a "trip plan" to an activity. In addition, we would like a checkbox that indicates if the trip party is planning to carry a PLB. The ability to upload a trip plan is priority #1, and the PLB checkbox is priority #2 (if it is not a lot of additional work).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create an Authors Group GH2801

Can we create a separate group for Mountaineers Books authors, for easier management? Thanks much!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Promo Codes: Bulk Discount SD332

As a site visitor let me use a promo code to get a bulk discount when I purchase a bunch of the same items or types of items (e.g. books, merchandise).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fade the badge image (but keep on profile) when a badge expires

Instead of removing the badge image from someone's profile when their badge expires, it would be nice to fade the image ... this would show that the badge is no longer current, but it would also provide a better snapshot "history" of that person's past participation.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Courses, Clinics & Seminars  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Suggested Alternate Activities" when Registering for the Waitlist

It would be great if we could have "suggested alternate activities" pop-up when someone registers for the waitlist on an activity. This might look like the page that shows of recommended books. Alternate activities would be of similar difficulty, they would have availability, and they would be open or upcoming. The hope would be to try to get folks off our waitlist and into activities with availability.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We think is may be partly fixed by requiring leaders to choose a Leader Rating so that searches are more accurate.

7. Ability to hide climbs for specific SIG's or Branches.

Let climb leads be able to hide climbs from the public until they are done getting members from their SIG or branch.

As a basic student its time consuming to see climbs just to sign up or email the climb leader and find out its only for a specific group of people and that I can't be on the climb.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Courses, Clinics & Seminars  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to see 'what trips i have done with this person'

It would be great if I could look up a person, and see the trips i've done with them in the past, along with their badges. So many times, we end up playing the 'i've been out with you somewhere. were you on my Norse Peak trip? no? may be on Snoqualmie last year then?' :)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add tracking mechanism to members page for mileage and altitude gained on club trips for yearly totals-ie:100,000ft gained, etc.

This would enhance club trip participation- esp among members that join groups like Meet Up and others. Would drive demand for more trips- esp hikes, hopefully driving more Leader participation as a result. It'd also be fun- great for bragging rights.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  5 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for sharing this idea. We’d love to eventually create functionality on the website to renew a membership for someone else. In the meantime, you can do this any time by calling our member services team at 206-521-6001.

11. Portrait Photo Orientation

This is for the tech forum and website.

Whenever I want to upload one of the awesome pictures from one of my outings, I am limited only to landscape view. For some reason, the website automatically flips it to landscape if I upload a portrait view.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Display "Leader's Permission Required" and Registration Opening Date on Field Trip Pages

It would be nice if it showed up the page I look at and have the opening date like the climbs I post.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Improve more+ button

From feedback, it appears that many people fail to notice the "more+" button in activities, especially on cellphones. Because they don't see it, they don't read all the important info in leader's notes. The More+ button should be more prominent...possibly a brighter, solid color button? Better yet, how about all the info about the trip expanded so it's never missed?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Promo Codes: Convert "Specific Product Use" to Multiselect GH3278

Change the "Specific Product Use" field to accept more than a single item (ie, several books).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Set focus to username field in login

Please set the "focus" to the first field "username” on the login page. It's a niggly little thing to have to proactively click into the box to type in it on every login.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve badge display sort on course view

I have a low priority website UI feature request. For courses which award multiple badges to graduates, it would be nice if the list of badges were sorted nicer. One sort method could be "Course badges first then Skill badges, and within those by alphabetical". Here's the 2020 Seattle Basic course as an example of messy badges...
    https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/seattle-branch/committees/seattle-climbing-committee/course-templates/alpine-climbing-courses/basic-alpine-climbing-course/basic-alpine-climbing-course-seattle-2020

thanks!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Adding a "Related Items" section for additional information on Book product page GH3074

Add a new tab alongside "Description" "Video" and "Reviews" for related items, especially blogs.

The idea is to present complementary content when the product page is the landing page, esp. considering the % of our page sessions are from New Users.

Aside from links to our blog, other items could be downloads, related events* -- it's also why I don't want to just call this tab "Blogs," as it doesn't necessarily reflect the full scope.

*Though personally, I think this should be its own tab, and would be pulled automatically from Author Events calendar.

I thought about just linking whatever…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Simple and Effective Feedback Surveys & Incident Reports

(1) Keep it simple and quick to attract more feedback.
    (2) For instance, we could have multi-choice or single-choice questions on page 1 (change it to cover a bigger picture than we do already) and have a conditional page if people wish to add more comments/improvements if they wish to.
    (3) Separate the near-miss report and incident report. They serve different purposed and requires attention and follow-up on a different scale.

These are my thoughts; hope we can achieve to bring more feedback from participants by making it easy and quick. And also, by creating open culture to encourage near…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi KD,

Thanks for the suggestions. We completely agree with “keeping things simple.”

Although your suggestion for our feedback page may be conceptually simpler, it is quite complicated to implement and we have several other needs for our feedback system, http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback?category_id=358780. Feel free to review and vote or comment on any of these.

Separating near miss reporting from full incident reports is a good idea that our Safety Committee needs to evaluate. We recommend merging it with Create More Robust Safety Committee Data Analysis, http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7002958-create-more-robust-safety-committee-data-analysis. Please let us know if that is ok with you and we’ll do that. It can also be a separate idea. If you prefer, please feel free to add a new idea for this.

19. Add way to Embed EveryAction advocacy forms into blogs, webpages GH2924

Being able to embed the action form into a Mtnrs blog or webpage would simplify the number of steps/clicks members would have to take in order to engage on an action.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Improve Layout of Bottom Portlets GH2806

When we have more than three bottom portlets, their layout arrangement goes "bonkers." We'd like to arrangements to work like those in the attached example.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base