Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

80 results found

1. Easier to see instructor opportunities: Combine instructor opportunities and add them as a filter with all other activities

Make it easy to see instructor opportunities for courses and clinics by showing them directly in the 'find activities' page. Today, when one selects 'find activities' they see 18 types of activities including hiking, scrambling, sea kayaking. But to see course instructor opportunities one has to click on 'volunteer' --> 'volunteer with us' --> scroll halfway down to click on 'find instructor opportunities'.

As a volunteer-led organization, it's important to make finding instructors as low-friction as possible and putting 'instructor opportunities' in the same page with all the other activities will go a long way in giving our members that…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Low Priority  ·  6 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Export feature for My Activities and My Courses and Programs lists

Add export features (to CSV or Excel) to enable members to easily export lists of Activities and Courses (historical and active/posted in the future). It could be similar to rosters Export option.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Carbon Offsets for Travel to Mountaineers Trips During Participant Registration Process

This feedback is to request that IT work the conservation and development teams to make changes to The Mountaineers website and sign-up/check-out process for all Mountaineers trips to allow registrants the option to partially offset their transportation-related carbon associated their travel by donating to a Mountaineers Carbon Footprint Reduction campaign. In addition to the donation ask, we would also like to allow registrants to share if they plan to carpool or if they will use an electric vehicle to travel to the activity. We understand this would take time, resources, and have implications for existing fundraising efforts. Thank you for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Waiver Expiration Date Column to Roster

Add a column to the program committee roster (or individual course rosters) displaying the waiver expiration date. Today the FT Coordinators find out about expired waivers only when they are trying to add instructors to the activity. Instead, a column in the roster (main committee roster or individual course roster) will help them proactively act on the situation.

I assume other programs and branches will also benefit from this column as the process for waiver verification is cumbersome! Happy to chat more if needed! Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow trip leaders to require additional skill/course badges per trip

Currently, the trip templates set the course or skill badges required for participants (or other leaders) to sign-up for trips. The problem is that these only specify the minimum set that could apply to that template.

I would like, as a trip leader, the ability to require specific badges on a per-trip basis.

To get concrete with an example: the Winter Scrambling template requires only that a participant be a graduate of the Scrambling or Climbing courses. However, the standards state that "leaders may require additional prerequisites on Winter Scramble trips". A common prerequisite a leader might wish to add…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With our current website configuration, we aren't able to accommodate this request. We have marked this as a low priority for now, and as we continue to make improvements to skill badge functionality and implementation we will keep this feedback under consideration. In the meantime, the leader’s notes field can be used to specify additional skills required beyond the activity template prerequisites, and vetted through Leader Permission requests.

6. Add the concept of an "after hours" weekday activity, allow for filtering by that value

Based on https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/7486552-display-activity-start-time-next-to-date

Many people work during the day. It would be useful if we could search for activities that are designed to be "after work".

The original concept of filtering by start time was shot down in 2016, maybe this concept of a binary flag is more achievable?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Phone Hyperlink

Taking a phone call today from a member, they were frustrated that a when they viewed a phone number on mountaineers.org from their phone browser, they were not able to click on it and have it automatically call. They see this feature on other websites and would like to submit it for improvement for ours.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add email alert for canceled activities

Seems as if several outings I was interested in for this summer have been canceled including one I was going to register for today. It would be great if a message about cancellations could go out in the same fashion as announcements for new activities so we don't hold dates open on our calendars or make travel arrangements for events which aren't taking place.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Satellite communicator contact information

It would be useful to have satellite communicator addresses on the roster along with contact information. This could be voluntarily entered on the member page, not publicly visible, just of use by the roster, similar to the emergency contact.

The reasoning: Unless replying to a message, a person's Garmin InReach can only be contacted directly using this InReach address. However, these are seldom shared among party members. The ability to directly contact a party member via satellite is a powerful tool in an emergency. Separated party members could communicate with each other. Overdue parties might be contacted. Additional contact would…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Leader's Permission Required SHOULD MEAN LEADER'S PERMISSION REQUIRED

It's hard enough dealing with the instructors and other participants that can not or will not read and understand the posting of an activity, course, field trip, ANYTHING let alone dealing with someone that registers without getting permission to do so. What is the point of having a check box or radio button if there is no functionality behind it?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback regarding the leader’s permission process, and we’re sorry for the frustration you have experienced. Leader’s Permission can be a critical tool for ensuring a successful trip, but good communication is key to avoiding frustration. We are unable to make technology improvements to the functionality of Leader’s Feedback at this time, but thanks to your feedback we have updated our Leader’s Permission Required blog and are highlighting your suggestion as a best practice for leaders. https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/what-is-leaders-permission

11. Give activity co-leaders automatic permisson to see rosters

Currently it is apparently necessary for a co-leader to be made an activity admin or a committee admin in order to see the roster for that activity, adding another step for the primary leader. Can we not remove extra keystrokes here for our busy volunteers? If we make someone a co-leader we trust them to do everything we would do as a leader.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

First, anyone who is to be a co-leader should already be on a committee roster (any committee roster as a leader) whcih means they could easily be the Primary Leader. Why would this ever not be the case?

Second, anyone on a roster may view and mange the “team roster,” the one that that is accessed from the "Manage Activity " portlet or “Roster” in the Admin Panel, if the “Admins” box in their activity roster record is checked.

So the only added step for adding a co-leader to an activity roster is to check the “Admins” box. This is the first field after looking up the person being added and has help text explaining why this box might be checked. Checking a box, one click, does not seem overly burdensome, especially in light of the many other needs and desires for our website.

12. View PDF files stored on the website in the browser

Allow PDF (and other browser viewable files) to be viewed in the browser.

The Seattle Sea Kayaking Committee is storing minutes as PDF documents. When you click on the file name (blue) what happens depends on the browser you are using. Some browsers (Firefox) allows the user to choose to download or view in a browser window. Other browsers (Safari and Chrome on Mac) always download the file.

If I just want to view the file, having it downloaded to my computer is inconvenient. Now I must navigate to the downloaded file, open it, and later decide if I want…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Leader's Permission Request activation date

It is unclear when leader permission for an activity should be requested. Some leaders may intend for the request to occur after registration opens, but many requests are in advance. Wise trip leaders make it clear in the description. It might take some burden off leaders to assign a date to this that is visible on the activity.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback regarding the leader’s permission process. Leader’s Permission can be a critical tool for ensuring a successful trip, but good communication is key to avoiding frustration. We are unable to make technology improvements to the functionality of Leader’s Feedback at this time, but thanks to your feedback we have updated our Leader’s Permission Required blog and are highlighting your feedback as a reminder for participants. https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/what-is-leaders-permission

14. Make it more clear that a member is under the age of 18

I can't guarantee that any of my volunteer instructors are "youth qualified" so it should be more clear on a member's profile that they are under the age of 18.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Display "Leader's Permission Required" and Registration Opening Date on Field Trip Pages

It would be nice if it showed up the page I look at and have the opening date like the climbs I post.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Portrait Photo Orientation

This is for the tech forum and website.

Whenever I want to upload one of the awesome pictures from one of my outings, I am limited only to landscape view. For some reason, the website automatically flips it to landscape if I upload a portrait view.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Pre-orders & Backorders: Better Handle Failed Credit Card Transactions GH3285

When the nightly delayed orders process runs, nothing is done with those with failed credit cards as best I can tell. I am not sure what's best to do here, but I think the options are:

1. Cancel the backorder and update the Salesforce opportunity's Stage to Online Credit Card Problem.

2. Mark the pre-order or backorder as Credit Card Declined on the website and Online Credit Card Problem in Salesforce, and add a "Buy Now" button/link for the customer to move the item, shipping address, and shipping method to the "regular" shopping cart and take them to the checkout page.

Any…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve badge display sort on course view

I have a low priority website UI feature request. For courses which award multiple badges to graduates, it would be nice if the list of badges were sorted nicer. One sort method could be "Course badges first then Skill badges, and within those by alphabetical". Here's the 2020 Seattle Basic course as an example of messy badges...
    https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/seattle-branch/committees/seattle-climbing-committee/course-templates/alpine-climbing-courses/basic-alpine-climbing-course/basic-alpine-climbing-course-seattle-2020

thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve Course Application Process GH2951

Improve the online forms so that applications can be housed on our website (which is ideal), with a prefilled field linking to a particular course, that the form builder creates. When the form is submitted, the applicant is automatically added to the "applied" roster, and the same process continues from there. This has the advantage of reducing admin burden, but it will require our online forms to be much easier to build so that our leaders will make applications in plone. Probably a much bigger project.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base