Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

79 results found

1. Satellite communicator contact information

It would be useful to have satellite communicator addresses on the roster along with contact information. This could be voluntarily entered on the member page, not publicly visible, just of use by the roster, similar to the emergency contact.

The reasoning: Unless replying to a message, a person's Garmin InReach can only be contacted directly using this InReach address. However, these are seldom shared among party members. The ability to directly contact a party member via satellite is a powerful tool in an emergency. Separated party members could communicate with each other. Overdue parties might be contacted. Additional contact would…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Low Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add optional "Date to Assign Student Badge" for courses

Add an option under course settings for when the "Student Badge" is assigned. Currently it is assigned when someone registers. The issue is that Student Badges are used as prerequisites for trips. This means that as soon as someone registers for the Scramble class, the website will let them sign up for Scrambles. We should wait to assign the student badge until students are far enough through the course to actually go on trips.

I'm open to other suggestions on how to handle this, but delaying issuing the badge seems like a simple to implement method.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Co-leader and Mentored Leader Activity Roster Automation GH2494

For adding to only (not editing) an activity team roster record, if the role is "Mentored leader" or "Co-leader," automatically check the "Admins" and "Show as contact" boxes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Promo Codes: Dollar Amount Discount for "Entire" Shopping Cart SD410

As a site visitor allow me to use a promo code that gives me a dollar amount discount on everything in my shopping cart up to the total amount of items in my shopping cart that qualifies.

This could be quite useful for volunteer recognition.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Promo Code: Bulk Discount for Purchasing from a Series SD484

As a site visitor let me use a promo code to get a bulk discount when I purchase a bunch of items from the same series (e.g. books in the Day Hiking series or backpacking courses/clinics). So we define "series" as any group (or bundle) of items of any kind (books, courses, etc.) that have to be in the cart for the discount to be applied.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Suggested Alternate Activities" when Registering for the Waitlist

It would be great if we could have "suggested alternate activities" pop-up when someone registers for the waitlist on an activity. This might look like the page that shows of recommended books. Alternate activities would be of similar difficulty, they would have availability, and they would be open or upcoming. The hope would be to try to get folks off our waitlist and into activities with availability.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We think is may be partly fixed by requiring leaders to choose a Leader Rating so that searches are more accurate.

8. No leader permission requests without valid waiver.

If a participant making a request to sign up for a trip does not have a valid waiver, the system should inform the requester directly to resolve the matter before sending the request to the trip leader. As it is now, the system relays the request to the trip leader without regard to waiver status, resulting in a waste of time and effort when a requester's waiver is not valid.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We will likely send reminders to sign your waiver once we have better timed email sending capability later this year, making this much less of an issue.

9. Sell eBooks Online SD286/310/413

Add eBook products to the website "shop" and links to the My Purchases page receipts and may be a separate My eBooks page so that eBooks can download.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Carbon Offsets for Travel to Mountaineers Trips During Participant Registration Process

This feedback is to request that IT work the conservation and development teams to make changes to The Mountaineers website and sign-up/check-out process for all Mountaineers trips to allow registrants the option to partially offset their transportation-related carbon associated their travel by donating to a Mountaineers Carbon Footprint Reduction campaign. In addition to the donation ask, we would also like to allow registrants to share if they plan to carpool or if they will use an electric vehicle to travel to the activity. We understand this would take time, resources, and have implications for existing fundraising efforts. Thank you for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow trip leaders to require additional skill/course badges per trip

Currently, the trip templates set the course or skill badges required for participants (or other leaders) to sign-up for trips. The problem is that these only specify the minimum set that could apply to that template.

I would like, as a trip leader, the ability to require specific badges on a per-trip basis.

To get concrete with an example: the Winter Scrambling template requires only that a participant be a graduate of the Scrambling or Climbing courses. However, the standards state that "leaders may require additional prerequisites on Winter Scramble trips". A common prerequisite a leader might wish to add…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With our current website configuration, we aren't able to accommodate this request. We have marked this as a low priority for now, and as we continue to make improvements to skill badge functionality and implementation we will keep this feedback under consideration. In the meantime, the leader’s notes field can be used to specify additional skills required beyond the activity template prerequisites, and vetted through Leader Permission requests.

12. Leader's Permission Request activation date

It is unclear when leader permission for an activity should be requested. Some leaders may intend for the request to occur after registration opens, but many requests are in advance. Wise trip leaders make it clear in the description. It might take some burden off leaders to assign a date to this that is visible on the activity.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback regarding the leader’s permission process. Leader’s Permission can be a critical tool for ensuring a successful trip, but good communication is key to avoiding frustration. We are unable to make technology improvements to the functionality of Leader’s Feedback at this time, but thanks to your feedback we have updated our Leader’s Permission Required blog and are highlighting your feedback as a reminder for participants. https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/what-is-leaders-permission

13. View PDF files stored on the website in the browser

Allow PDF (and other browser viewable files) to be viewed in the browser.

The Seattle Sea Kayaking Committee is storing minutes as PDF documents. When you click on the file name (blue) what happens depends on the browser you are using. Some browsers (Firefox) allows the user to choose to download or view in a browser window. Other browsers (Safari and Chrome on Mac) always download the file.

If I just want to view the file, having it downloaded to my computer is inconvenient. Now I must navigate to the downloaded file, open it, and later decide if I want…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Display "Leader's Permission Required" and Registration Opening Date on Field Trip Pages

It would be nice if it showed up the page I look at and have the opening date like the climbs I post.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Pre-orders & Backorders: Better Handle Failed Credit Card Transactions GH3285

When the nightly delayed orders process runs, nothing is done with those with failed credit cards as best I can tell. I am not sure what's best to do here, but I think the options are:

1. Cancel the backorder and update the Salesforce opportunity's Stage to Online Credit Card Problem.

2. Mark the pre-order or backorder as Credit Card Declined on the website and Online Credit Card Problem in Salesforce, and add a "Buy Now" button/link for the customer to move the item, shipping address, and shipping method to the "regular" shopping cart and take them to the checkout page.

Any…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Automatically Add Instructors to Committee Roster GH2511

When an person registers for or is registered for an activity as an Instructor, in addition to adding them to the course's team roster (if part of a course), add them as an Instructor to the sponsoring Committee's team roster as an instructor or check their instructor box if they are already on the Committee's team roster and their Instructor box is not already checked.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add a trip plan upload and PLB checkbox GH2824

Add the ability to upload a "trip plan" to an activity. In addition, we would like a checkbox that indicates if the trip party is planning to carry a PLB. The ability to upload a trip plan is priority #1, and the PLB checkbox is priority #2 (if it is not a lot of additional work).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  2 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create an Authors Group GH2801

Can we create a separate group for Mountaineers Books authors, for easier management? Thanks much!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Books  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Promo Codes: Bulk Discount SD332

As a site visitor let me use a promo code to get a bulk discount when I purchase a bunch of the same items or types of items (e.g. books, merchandise).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fade the badge image (but keep on profile) when a badge expires

Instead of removing the badge image from someone's profile when their badge expires, it would be nice to fade the image ... this would show that the badge is no longer current, but it would also provide a better snapshot "history" of that person's past participation.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base