Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

38 results found

1. Improve the Summary (aka Search Results) View for Files GH1902

Add the Summary field for files that are added to the website in the Summary (aka search results) view (see attached image).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add filters to site search GH1877

The main problem with the search is that it returns so many pages of results that excessive paging is required for the search to be very useful. The sort, date, and item type filters do help, but more mechanisms are needed to narrow down the result set: Branch and Activity Type filters, for example.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We added Branch and Activity Type field to the Badge, Event and Blog Post items so these items can used as filters in the site search.

3. Improve search for internal hyperlinks GH1662

When hyperlinking within the site to an internal page or folder, the search engine appears to pull up anything that has your subject within the content, not just the title, making the search very slow. Also on the scroll bar, only the up arrow works. The down arrow does not work, so you need to drag the bar down, which is impossible to do slowly, so you have to drag the bar to below where you want to go, then use the up arrow to slowly get to where you're trying to go in the list.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make Routes and Places Search Easier

Make Routes and Places search easier to use. When I put in a search, I commonly get back 10 or more pages that take forever to scroll through. Adding words to make the search more specific makes the problem worse. For example, if I search for "Rainier" I get back 4 pages. If I try to be more specific with "Stevens Canyon Ranier", I get back 6 pages including many having nothing to do with "Rainier".

I infer that the underlying logic is to match on ANY of the words I supply. That behavior is unintuitive for those of us…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Cancelled  ·  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Optimize Search for Results and Speed SD429

With our large database, we need to balance a robust and complete search result set with search speed. We have fine tuned this as best we can with our current tools and setup. Still some searches are a bit slow and results sets incomplete. To improve this, we need to reconfigure our search application which requires significant technical development.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The speed of the type-ahead search fields on edit forms (e.g. adding to roster) is much faster while providing a more complete results set.

6. Reset faceted searches when date boxes are emptied GH1435

If both Start Date and End Date boxes in the "Starting..." section of the faceted searches (Find Activities, Find Course and Find Instructor Opportunities) are emptied, reset/resubmit the search.

It can be removed by clicking the date filter at the top of the search, but we also want the date filter to be removed if the date boxes are emptied.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Weekend Activities Filter SD502/503

Add a filter to the activities search so you can find weekend events only.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  6 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Bookmarking a place in the activities list SD387

When I’m scrolling through the Activities and something catches my eye, I’ll open it to check out the details. After reading it and deciding to continue, I click the browser back button or the back to activities arrow. Either way it takes me back to the TOP of the activities page even if I had been at the bottom. I have to scroll back down to where I was – if I remember where that was – to continue where I left off. There should be a way to return to where you left off without all the backtracking. Is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make it possible to search activities by asst leader and co-leaders GH1527

Make it possible to search activities by co-leader or assistant leader, right now you can only search by primary leader.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You may now search activities and courses by leaders name for leaders who are co-leaders, assistant leaders or mentored leaders.

10. Add course template name to activity searches for field trips GH1142

Add the course template name (essentially the course name with the year) to the activity search results so people can find the right field trip that they want to instruct at.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Put Instructor Opportunities in with Find Activities SD360

For those of us not required to volunteer for a class, we were more apt to sign up as instructors or for classes when the listings were mixed with activities. We search by date, not necessarily opportunity type.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve Routes/places search results view GH1134

Be able to view mileage, elev gain and difficulty in the search view.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve site wide search SD360

Always show text box with search button in the header of the website, the magnify glass doesn't look like a search button the way other websites do. - suggestion from Focus Groups

In site search show summary view of course, activity and events. Bring search filters over to the left hand side which would allow you to search for activities, events and courses all in the same place. It is important that start date of the activity range is part of this site wide search. Make it so that leaders and admins can search for things like activity templates or…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

We added a box next to the magnify glass to make it more evident that you can search mountaineers.org

The search now allows you to easily filter by content type more easily like file or course or activity or member (Contact).

The search is by relevance but there are now search features that allow you to additionally filter by created date or start date or A-Z etc.

We encourage you to go ahead and try it out and let us know if it appears there is a filter missing or another way you’d like search results displayed.

14. Show activities on Find activities that start today

Multiple leaders requested being able to see activities happening through the date the activity is actually happening.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Hide Cancelled activities from Default Find Activities View

Is it possible to add a flag in the Activities View that would hide all cancelled activities. It would be nice even if all cancelled activities were hidden automatically unless you set a checkbox to "Show Cancelled Activities".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We just completed this. You’ll find it at the end of the list of filters on Find Activities.

16. Additional Search Functions: Sorting SD504

for activity listings allow user to sort by destination, leader, availability and allow sorts in ascending or descending order

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  5 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Increase search functionality for routes-places

If it is necessary for us to avoid posting multiple routes-places and activities to the same trail, it would be very helpful to have the ability for users to enter a flexible set of 'tags' with the range of place names along the planned route that can be searched for to find other routes-places or activities going to the same place but named something different.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

Lots of great updates have been made to routes/places which allow greater flexibility have been made.
    Read more here
    http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/6756014-allow-us-to-list-multiple-routes-places-for-differ

We are also working with leaders to make sure that everyone understands that search uses the titles and summary statements so making sure that any alternative names for a route/place are in the summary.

And of course if you see a route/place that needs to have a name changed or added just email info@mountaineers.org

18. Add Activities and Routes & Places to a Map SD184/287

It'd be cool if we had routes and places all shown on a map! And link to trip reports :)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 2016.

Look for the “List | Map” links in the upper right hand part of Find Activities and Find Routes & Places searches to toggle the view.

Happy searching!

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base