Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

140 results found

1. Exportable PDF Feedback Reports

BACKGROUND

I have the ability to see my feedback history. As a committee admin I have the ability to see a portion of the feedback history for anyone who has led a trip for my committee. I cannot see the feedback history for someone who has led trips for some other committee.

USE CASE

As a Leadership Chair for various committees (current and past) I review leadership applications. Often these prospective leaders are already leaders for another branch and/or committee. As part of the feedback gathering process, it is important for me as the Leadership Chair to gather as much…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. demographics updates

I noticed that my demographic in my member profile had the wrong age group (unfortunately I continue to age). I only noticed it because I've been doing website testing today. Maybe there can be a prompt (or even a forcing function) for members to review their entire profile including preferences and demographics annually, as I'm sure other things change for members as well (marital status, activity interests, student status, etc). Maybe a button to go along with the waiver that forces them to scroll through their profile and select "I have reviewed and updated my profile" or something like that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

New  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Senior Membership Notification Email

Members Services receives a lot of inquiries from members about wanting to switch their membership from family or adult to senior, mid-membership cycle. They reach out in response to an email that we send, alerting them (on their birthday) to enroll in our senior membership now that they are 65. Since they pay upfront for the year, it doesn't make sense to retroactively refund each person that turns 65 mid-membership cycle. And if they enroll in the senior membership, they would be paying two separate membership costs for the year. Could we prompt the "senior membership invite" email via their…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Create "Out of Region" Branch Option & Branch Newsletter Opt-ins

(1) We would like to add a “Out of State” or “Out of Region” branch option for folks. The reason is that we have~400-500 folks who do not live within a reasonable driving distance from any of our branches, and it makes sense from a reporting standpoint to have an accurate count for membership association, particularly because historically most of these people have been added to the Seattle branch. The need for this is to get accurate reporting and also because it impacts our communications strategies.

(2) We want to automatically subscribe people to branch newsletters.

(2a) For Seattle branch,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Inclusion with senior/ adult members wanting to add kids as guest to family activities

When you go to try to select a "Guest Family" membership and already have a different type of membership you get the message:

"You are choosing to change your membership from Senior or Adult to Guest Family. Click OK to continue, or Cancel to keep your current membership type."
    Could this be added to this message: "Please contact member services at info@mountaineers.org if you would like to include a family member as a guest and are not able to upgrade to a family
    membership at this time. We may be able to assist you."

This will support family in all…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Trigger a notification for Senior Rate Eligibility when Members turn 65 ~Salesforce

Many members appreciate the convenience of the auto renewal feature for membership dues but for members who begin their enrollment at the Adult rate and turn 65 before card expiry, this may result in several years of paying at a higher rate than necessary. Including a notification on their 65th birthday, similar to the one sent out when members turn 18, will allow these members to make a fully informed decision about their options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Phone support for Elder members who do not use the internet

I often hear this feedback but I don't think I've done a great job documenting it, so here goes.
    Today I spoke with 50 year member Diana Edgar and I thanked her and let her know her of recent lifetime membership.

While we were speaking she shared how much she loved being a Mountaineer but she has felt so cut off lately because she doesn't know how she can participate when everything is online and she doesn't use email or a computer. She deeply wishes there was a way for her to sign up for activities that was easy for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Password Change/Reset GH3322

I was trying to change my password and couldn't figure out how despite looking at profile settings and searching for 'change password' on the site. In the end, I emailed info@mountaineers and found out that you have to use the forgotten password flow to do so.
    It seems like most sites have a 'change password' feature in the 'profile' section. It would be great to have a way to do so on the site. Alternatively, publishing a page about that might be helpful if people do search for it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Trip report input improvements

On the trip report page, allow for multiple photo uploads, have the "upload" tab come up by default when clicking to add a photo, keyboard shortcut to add a photo, and tell people upfront to save often, that they can edit after saving (I lost a ton of work).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 5, 2020.

This is the date we launched the Plone 5 Update which came with the ability to upload multiple files or images at one time.

We also added this to the help text for Trip Report rich text fields: “You can edit your trip report after saving it, so save your work early and often, especially if you’re writing a lengthy trip report.”

11. Set focus to username field in login

Please set the "focus" to the first field "username” on the login page. It's a niggly little thing to have to proactively click into the box to type in it on every login.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Update Gift Memberships Pricing Portlets GH2926

Update portlet text for Gift Memberships to show new price. Right now on the gift membership page and on the next page it shows the original price for memberships, not the discounted gift price, and it should probably show the regular price crossed out with the gift price in red. So for the holidays (December) it will be 25% off, and for any time earlier it will be 15% off.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exception for seniors.

Exception for seniors.
    Reference: BAKER’S DOZEN Offered by the Bellingham Branch, asks that you climb no more than 5 peaks per year to achieve this, but since I will be just short of 65 next year when I attempt it, I was wondering if an exception might be made for seniors, since we may not live long enough for multi-year attempts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Functionality for youth in family memberships who age out GH2747/2773

When a youth who is a Mountaineers member turns 18, they should receive a "happy birthday" email (with the primary account holder copied) saying:
    "Happy birthday! We're so grateful that you and your family have given The Mountaineers a chance to play a role in your formative years. We hope you feel like you're part of the family. We know that your late teens and early 20's are busy years. We hope you can still stay involved, but even if life takes you on new adventures, we want you to know that we still consider you part of our family,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Financial Assistance Link on Course/Activity Layout GH2749

Should say "Apply for Financial Assistance"
    We'd also like to move the Cancellation and Refund link below Availability so we have text that breaks up the two links.

https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/financial-assistance

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Create "Trip Reporter" Badge ~WebsiteContent

What if we created a “Trip Reporter” badge (or some such name) to award to folks who leave 5+ trip reports a year? This would encourage more people to leave trip reports, and help with our goals to gamify membership engagement.

Here's a good trip reporter example: https://www.mountaineers.org/members/dave-morgan/trip-reports

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. My Gallery

Add a My Gallery section to My Profile that where I can upload photos and where photos I've uploaded to the the website in other areas like Trip Reports are displayed.

Ideally all photos I've added would be displayed by default, but I would be able to choose to hide certain ones from My Gallery even though they would still be displayed elsewhere on the website.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a My Trip Reports Page GH2419 & 2631

Add a "My Trip Reports" page to the My Profile area so that members can find their own trip reports and trip reports by others easier.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Table of badge dates

On the "My Activities" page there's a "Review Participation Notes" blue button. When I click on that and scroll all the way to the bottom it shows when my badges were added and when they expire. This table of dates is super handy, but having it located here is really klunky.

It seems like all this badge date info should be at the bottom of the "My Profile" page. It would also be nice to list along with the Expire date if it has expired but it's still in the grace period.

I know you already added a date tooltips…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. SEO Improvements 2017-18 GHP1 SD587

We engaged Portent, Inc. to review our website from an SEO (Search Engine Optimization, e.g. Google) perspective. They gave us a set of recommendations that involve both technical and content improvements to our website. Overall, this is likely a large project, but will likely be many very small projects that we can accomplish with our monthly support over time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base