Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

75 results found

1. Video/Phone Conference System

Provide video conference equipment for use at our Seattle and Tacoma Program Centers. Choose and set up a video conference provider for our volunteers to use.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Create a searchable database of all committee chairs SD646

searchable by activity type, branch (idea came from scramble summit)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add a skill to volunteer profile

Under Volunteer Profile, add a box for "Conflict resolution, mediation, or legal help" to recruit volunteers that can serve as neutral mediators in a conflict or a complaint situation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Tess Wendel responded

We now have a Attorney/Legal skill option AND a Mediation/Conflict Resolution skill listed in the Volunteer Profile

4. Improve Feedback forms ~PloneOnly

Please fix the feedback form-
    Under the overall rating you only give four options and there have been a number of times that I didn’t want to mark “Pretty good, I'd go again” or “Not so great, I'd think twice about going again”, but needed something right in the middle like- it was OK, but I might or might not do it again.
    With the options given “Not so great” is just a little better than a disaster. We need some kind of “ho hum” option. Sometimes it isn’t as bad as “Not so great” but it isn’t “Pretty good”…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recently reviewed and updated all of our feedback forms. We opted stick with four response options, to avoid too many folks “sitting on the fence” – but we did update the options to include a more neutral “it was fine” choice. Additionally, we rephrased the question/replies to focus on the person’s experience on that specific trip, regardless of whether or not they would go again. Please see the following example:

Please rate your overall experience on this trip.
    > It was excellent, I loved everything!
    > It was just fine, nothing stood out as particularly positive or negative.
    > It wasn’t my favorite, there were a few things that I didn’t enjoy.
    > It was terrible, I didn’t like anything!

We also included some additional questions related to building a more welcoming, inclusive environment, limiting our impact on our public lands and clarifying any safety related incidents.

To view…

5. Display calendar for program centers and youth programs in terms of spaces/volunteers needed. GH2132/2133/2134

When looking at a calendar and considering whether a room is available or, with respect to youth program volunteer needs, whether there is a need for volunteers, that is not displayed. For example, in looking at a PC calendar, I have to know what all the room options are and then figure out what is available by exclusion. When I look at the "volunteer with youth calendar," I can see a program, but not how many volunteers it needs (if any). Prominently display the need so people "don't have to think" (the book that drives much web design) and can…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Roster change emails

When a leader gets an email notification about a participant change on their roster, it would be great if when the leader hits 'reply', the email would be redirected to that participant and not toinfo@mountaineers.org
    I'm finding that even with I'm signed in to the website in one window, when I click on the hyperlinked participant name in the email, another window opens and the website wants me to sign in again, which creates to many steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Stevie,

Looks like we can’t get the reply to work like that since these notifications come from salesforce rather than plone which is how bulk roster emails from the site work.

However, it is possible for us to add a live link to the person’s email in the body of the notification for easy emailing in the notification so that has been added. You should see this live on any future roster change notifications.

7. Setting the default role for RSVP's to an event as "volunteers" when appropriate GH2022

Some committees put their meetings on the calendars and people who RSVP are clearly committee volunteers, not "participants." If we could identify which types of events to do this with, it would more accurately capture our volunteer's efforts to default to the role of "volunteer" rather than "participant" when people RSVP to these types of events.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Member Roles for Committee Pages

When editing the committee roster, it would be nice if we could select/enter roles of different members so that when we check the box to display that member on the committee page, others can see those roles.

For example, if my name shows up on the Photography Committee page, it just says "leader". It would be nice if it could say "activity coordinator and publicity" under my name. That way, visitors to the page would know to contact me for questions about those things. Limiting titles to Chair, Treasurer, Leader, etc. doesn't really tell people how we're involved.

There's currently…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  6 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Tracking Committee Positions over time for a list of all former chairs, for example.

As people move in and out of their positions on a committee, it would be useful to have the ability to pull a report out of Salesforce that tells me who has served in that role over time (such as all Branch Chairs and the dates they served). Low priority but would help identify former expertise for mentoring opportunities and recognition.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Default Survey type based on activity template GH1953

Can we get some sort of toggle on an activity template for courses that would allow changing the default survey type:

“Default survey for activities within this course:”

This way Conditioning Hiking Series trips could all be trip surveys by default rather than field trips surveys and having to edit each individual activity.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Conditioning Hiking Series templates like CHS 1 and CHS 2 and any other course related activity template now have the ability to choose which survey is the default survey that is sent to participants. Note that although a default can be set you can also edit each activity to choose which survey makes the most sense. This is mostly an issue when a course has activities that are more like a regular stand alone trip than a field trip.

11. Add a "My Branch" Link GH1868

Add a My Branch link next to My Activities and My Courses and Programs on the short click menu when you click on your name when you are logged in to see branch events and blogs and stay up to date on all branch activities.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Members and guests can now access their branch page from the My Branch link in their profile menu in the upper right side of the header of every page on our website. Now everyone the same quick access to their branch info as they do to their profile, activities and courses.

Please be sure that content on your branch pages, including blog posts and events, are up-to-date, because we anticipate this will drive higher traffic to your pages.

12. Create @mountaineers.org email address for committees

Currently a number of committees have created Gmail addresses, which are shared between chairs, course leaders, etc. It seems like there should be @mountaineers.org addresses for this

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Unfortunately we do not have the resources to manage and support the number of email addresses this would require. Management includes initial setup, support desk for access issues, and volunteer turnover.

13. Auto-populate branch council rosters with all chairs of branch activity committees

There are some times when a branch council roster isn't updated after a new chair comes on to an activity committee. If this wasn't a difficult or expensive feature, it would alleviate one bit of data entry for branch council's AND help prevent other committees from missing communications from the councils.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Warning message for unrelated activity types tagged on activity listing GH1867

When setting up a trip, the trip defaults to the multiple activity types associated with the route/place. It would be nice if the site gave you a “warning” if you set up a trip with activity types that are different from the committee listing the trip or the activity template chosen to avoid having a ski trip show up in snowshoe and scramble trip listings.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We set the default activity type to come from the activity template only when scheduling an activity, and allow the leader to choose or edit the Climbing, Skiing, or Snowshoe categories when scheduling an activity. We also improved the display of activity type and categories on Routes & Places and Activities.

15. Make sponsoring committee a link on the course and activity pages GH1835

When you click on a committee shown on an activity, course or event, it is helpful to be able to navigate to the committee page directly from that listing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Co-leaders and Mentored Leaders to be Notified of Participant Registration Changes

We like giving the Primary Leader the option of being alerted when there is sign up activity on their hike. It would be great to offer this to Co-leaders and Mentored Leaders too.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

This is bit more complicated that it seems it should be, but we’re looking into what it will take to get it done.

If we do this, you’ll only be able to have one co-leader and/or one mentored leader. Do you think that will be okay?

Additionally and perhaps more importantly if you make someone who is a co-leader or mentored leader have Admin status on the roster they will be able to view Feedback for that activity. Very useful for co-leaders and mentor leaders

17. We need to have short URLs that are easy to remember...

Right now, the URL to the individual activity committees (i.e. Photography) is super long and impossible to remember. Plus, there's no easy way to find these committees since they are not specifically listed under a branch or anywhere in the navigation (that I could find). For instance, the Photography committee's page URL is https://www.mountaineers.org/about/branches-committees/seattle-branch/committees/seattle-photography-committee. That is super long! We need a way to do short URLs that will get us to these pages. Using a short URL website like bit.ly would work, but the URLs don't make any sense, so no easier to remember.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The short URL for the Seattle Photography Committee’s page is mountaineers.org/seattle/photography.

We are happy to make these following this format on request son long as the committee’s web page is has up-to-date, well-formatted content.

18. Sort Courses and Activities by Date GH1837/1955

Contents view of a Course Template or Activities folder apparently returns items oldest-first. This requires scrolling to the bottom of the page to find the newest (and most likely of interest) items. Please change to sort sub-folders first, then courses or activities by newest first.

Note, if not fixed, this will become increasingly more inconvenient as history accumulates

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The column headers in the “folder contents” view are now spaced correctly and you can sort (as you always have) by clicking on a column header. But the sort is only one direction ( e.g. A-Z) for now. The reverse sort now works as it should.

If you want to have a faceted search on any of your course template “Activities” folders, please send an email to info@mountaineers.org.

19. Better links to committee pages

One thing that irks me is if I'm not logged into the website and try to find a committee page, it's impossible. You would think each committee would be listed under the branch, but that's not the case. If you click on the branch, you get their page/latest news, but no list of committees! If visitors to the site can't easily find the different committees, how can they really get an idea of what we each do?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

We’ve added links to branch pages under the learn section where committee material can be highlighted and in the course overview section we link back to branches and committee pages. Ie if you go to photography courses in course overviews and click the Seattle link it links to Seattle photography committee page.

20. Sharing participant information among activity leaders GH1654

At our 2014 cross-branch hike-backpack committee summit, the number one source of burnout and frustration among leaders was the difficulty in identifying participants who are capable of completing the posted itinerary vs. those who could derail the group. Recent website updates now allow activity leaders to record participant performance ratings when closing their activities, using a dropdown box with the following categories: Successful, Turned Around, Needs Improvement, Failed/Unsafe, NoShow, Waitlisted, Canceled. Then a future leader can use the website search to find a particular member they'd like to evaluate for an activity, open their profile, and look at their Activity…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now show the overall trip result on the My Activities page along with the participant result which allows leaders to easily see if a participant canceled or if the trip was canceled.

We discovered that another big issue is chronic late cancellations. We are setting up an email to go to people who exhibit this behavior. With input from leaders, we defined chronic late cancellation is as anyone who cancels after registration closed 3 or more times in a 3-month period.

We will also send a similar email to anyone who is reported as a “no show” by the leader when they close their activity roster.

These three improvements achieve the desire for leaders to share participant information.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base