I suggest you ...

why is there no search function on the web site?

Trip leaders use acronyms and classifications to describe their events. Some of us don't know this "Mountaineer speak" (believe it or not!) and it would be nice if we could try to find the definition on your site without having the bug the leader.
For example, where do i find out what S3 T5 means? Earlier I had to email the leader when she used a term like WTsomething. It meant Wilderness Travel something. We don't all know this stuff. Put a search function on the site and it will help us find out. Plus it could be very useful for you in web analytics, to see what people search for. Or does the Mountaineers not care about web analytics?

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same issue when first looking at some of the hiking and scrambling trips. I eventually found the answer, but it would be a good idea to put something like a Glossary or Mountaineer's Terminology link right on the homepage main menu, that would spell out all of the acronyms and abbreviations.

• Jeff BowmanAdminJeff Bowman (Bookstore / Member Service / IT, The Mountaineers) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't have a general search feature on our website, because it is based on 12-year-old technology. We are currently working on a new platform that will this capably among many other improvements.

Though every industry, company and organization has its own jargon, we are working towards more standards so that things are easier to understand from the outset. Given that our activities are run buy over a thousand volunteers, this is a not impossible but very challenging task!

We do have a fairly robust help system with Knowledge Base/FAQ articles that may answer your questions. For the example you gave, here's good start:

http://help.mountaineers.org/search?q=difficulty&t=f&recommend=1

We do use analytics on our website. They have helped use design the system we are developing as well as update the content that we do have on our current website.

Feedback and Knowledge Base