Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

741 results found

1. Add warning message for leader if they are double booking themselves GH1116

Add a warning message for leaders that have a conflict with an activity they are adding at the point of choosing the route/place and date(s).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Bring back the ability to post informal weekly activities.

Bring back the ability to post informal weekly activities like the Volleyball, Greenlake Walk and Evening Outdoor In-line Skate acitvities we used to be able to post on the old web site.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Events  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make course materials tab linked to course template rather than individual course GH1260

Right now last year's students can't see the current course materials. It'd be cool to have this linger from course to the next upcoming course so 2nd and 3rd students would have the most up to date information. You could have a folder that contains archive materials but this would be an area that is always up to date, or maybe you could have the option of whether your course template has this evergreen course materials folder or whether leaders want it on a year by year basis. Leaders and admins of courses any thoughts?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

Course materials can now be more easily shared year to year. Leaders can now also delete and archive materials from their committee area and course material folders

4. Put Instructor Opportunities in with Find Activities SD360

For those of us not required to volunteer for a class, we were more apt to sign up as instructors or for classes when the listings were mixed with activities. We search by date, not necessarily opportunity type.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When you mouse over a course-related activity have it show leader/summary SD412

When I mouse over a course activity, display a "tool-tip/infotip/hint" containing the leaders name or the activity summary next to the cursor.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We added more information about lectures and field trip activities to the Course Requirements tab of the Course Details page. Information included title, activity dates, registration open/close dates, availability, and leader.

6. Auto Save functionality needed for filling out online forms like Routes/places

Can we create an auto-save for some of the online forms so users can save their work on route-place and activity creation forms and come back to it later if they haven't filled all the required fields?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

All required fields expect for the title and summary have default values so leaders only have to fill in a couple fields before saving.

Pro ti! If you save your route/place and you navigate away from the page you can find what you created by searching using the magnify glass search field in the top right hand corner

7. Add tracking mechanism to members page for mileage and altitude gained on club trips for yearly totals-ie:100,000ft gained, etc.

This would enhance club trip participation- esp among members that join groups like Meet Up and others. Would drive demand for more trips- esp hikes, hopefully driving more Leader participation as a result. It'd also be fun- great for bragging rights.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  5 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. bulk course roster management

Allow course admins to multi-select students for the purpose of mass cancellation/roster management. Note: the multi-select is already there, but I can't cancel/move all the selected registrants.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed 12/8/14. Look for the blue button at the bottom of the course roster that says “Change Role or Expiration” This is what you can use to bulk graduate people or bulk extend a student badge.

9. Need more options to establish new routes-places without time lag

Many of our leaders want to wait for snow reports or weather forecasts a week or so before an activity before they post the activity, but the current process for centralized review and posting creates a time lag that makes this virtually impossible. Can you train and empower a small group of route-place administrators out in the branches to increase the ability to process these submissions more quickly? Considering the wide range in quality of the 'reviewed' routes-places showing up now, I think that you could set up a group of trained and accountable volunteers who would do at least…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Member Services responded

We have caught up on our summer backlog and are now turning routes and places requests around in under 48 hours. Leaders are also doing a better job of submitting content-rich routes and places. We’ve made improvements to the process, and more are on the way.

10. Make Phone Numbers Required when Joining

Make Phone number required on the Join page. This is key for leaders to be able to get in touch with their participants.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Folder view of Documents Sort Order

When I open a list of documents, it seems to be in some random order and difficult to find certain documents when the list gets long. At a minimum, default document lists to alpha order. Possibly, sort folders to the top, but keep those in alpha order, too. A way to sort by date would also be nice. .

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The columns sort by default to the order items were added with the most recently added at the bottom. Clicking on a column header will forward sort by that column’s data, and clicking a second time on the same column header will reverse the sort.

12. Honorary Members

Have a place on our site about our honorary members.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make it easier for us to organize carpools

And have communication between trip participants be easier.

More specifically we would like to see whether person
    A) wants to carpool
    B) ride or drive
    C) where they are coming from
    D) Be able to contact them or potentially the whole group of people who wants to carpool in one swift email.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This was completed and launched on 12/8. If you have further suggestions about this tool please continue to list on the feedback site.

14. Make 'alternative place' names visible from Routes (see GH1476?)

The alternative place names that are accessible partway through setting up a trip are of limited usefulness when you cannot view them beforehand. For example - I tried to set up a hike going to West Tiger #2. I couldn't see that there was such a route under the WT 1-2-3; I ended up setting up the trip under WT 3, using the Section Line alternative (at least partly correct). Learning of the existence of the WT#2, I was unable to Edit the trip via the WT 1-2-3 as the alternatives don't appear.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. People Search

This was spawned off from an existing thread:
    https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/37230223-integrate-fuzzy-logic-to-text-search-gh2837

It was clear that "fuzzy search" as implemented there did not translate into a good people search experience.

BACKGROUND

Currently, the only way to search for members (contacts) is through the sitewide search mechanism. While we have dedicated search pages for "Find Activities", "Find Routes & Places" and "Find Courses, Clinics & Seminars", we have no such dedicated page for finding members. Your options are to either find them on some roster you have access to or to rely on the sitewide search.

The problem is that the general sitewide search…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Exportable PDF Feedback Reports

BACKGROUND

I have the ability to see my feedback history. As a committee admin I have the ability to see a portion of the feedback history for anyone who has led a trip for my committee. I cannot see the feedback history for someone who has led trips for some other committee.

USE CASE

As a Leadership Chair for various committees (current and past) I review leadership applications. Often these prospective leaders are already leaders for another branch and/or committee. As part of the feedback gathering process, it is important for me as the Leadership Chair to gather as much…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Donation & membership from IRA

It would be good to have clearly indicated instructions for sending a check for donations and membership. For older members, making a QCD requires a check and cannot be made via credit card.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Fundraising  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a "Tag" option to pages and a "Suitcase" where i can store pages i want to consult again

Like on Alltrails, WTA, etc. I'd like to be able to build my own bespoke repository of pages from the portal that i want to be able to easily access again and again -- whether it be references to how to use the portal, or blog entries, or trailheads, routes, etc.
    Best would be to be able to sort them into something like sub-folders, or tag them with my own memorable tags to be able to manage them when it starts bulking up.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Keep Me Logged In!

For the Mountaineers website when logging in there used to be a feature to check a check box that says "Remember Me" which would keep you logged in. Now that feature is no longer there and I keep getting logged out of the website, and have to keep logging back in which is a bit of an inconvenience and annoyance.

Can the Mountaineers add that feature back to the login so I can stay logged in and I'll have to keep logging in every time I visit the website?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting this idea. When we upgraded to the newest version of Plone, that button was dropped because the newest standard is to keep folks logged in for a set period of time. You should therefore remain logged in without the button.

20. Confirmation email for rolling enrollment classes is confusing in some cases

Currently when a student registers for a course that has rolling enrollment they receive an automated confirmation that includes the following paragraph:

"This course is a rolling enrollment style course meaning there are multiple sets of lectures and field trips. Please make sure that you are signed up for the specific field trip and lecture dates that are available and/or fit your schedule.You should have received additional activity email confirmations for these specific dates."

This is confusing in cases where 1) the course consists solely of lectures or field trips but not both, or 2) the course consists solely of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base