Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

52 results found

1. Sort Courses and Activities by Date GH1837/1955

Contents view of a Course Template or Activities folder apparently returns items oldest-first. This requires scrolling to the bottom of the page to find the newest (and most likely of interest) items. Please change to sort sub-folders first, then courses or activities by newest first.

Note, if not fixed, this will become increasingly more inconvenient as history accumulates

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

The column headers in the “folder contents” view are now spaced correctly and you can sort (as you always have) by clicking on a column header. But the sort is only one direction ( e.g. A-Z) for now. The reverse sort now works as it should.

If you want to have a faceted search on any of your course template “Activities” folders, please send an email to info@mountaineers.org.

2. Schedule quarterly meetings of all hiking committee leaders to coordinate the scheduling of hikes to match demonstrated demand. .

We need to avoid both too few and too many hikes of the same type, to avoid both long waiting lists and the need to cancel for lack of signup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add a short piece of text clarifying instructor sign up is always open GH1055

Add a short piece of text indicating that instructors can register at any time for field trips on the field trip listing or near register portal

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

Text now shows on the course listing and in the “Find Instructor Opportunities” faceted search showing when reg opens to public and that instructor registration is open now.

4. Add warning message for leader if they are double booking themselves GH1116

Add a warning message for leaders that have a conflict with an activity they are adding at the point of choosing the route/place and date(s).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Auto Save functionality needed for filling out online forms like Routes/places

Can we create an auto-save for some of the online forms so users can save their work on route-place and activity creation forms and come back to it later if they haven't filled all the required fields?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

All required fields expect for the title and summary have default values so leaders only have to fill in a couple fields before saving.

Pro ti! If you save your route/place and you navigate away from the page you can find what you created by searching using the magnify glass search field in the top right hand corner

6. Need more options to establish new routes-places without time lag

Many of our leaders want to wait for snow reports or weather forecasts a week or so before an activity before they post the activity, but the current process for centralized review and posting creates a time lag that makes this virtually impossible. Can you train and empower a small group of route-place administrators out in the branches to increase the ability to process these submissions more quickly? Considering the wide range in quality of the 'reviewed' routes-places showing up now, I think that you could set up a group of trained and accountable volunteers who would do at least…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Member Services responded

We have caught up on our summer backlog and are now turning routes and places requests around in under 48 hours. Leaders are also doing a better job of submitting content-rich routes and places. We’ve made improvements to the process, and more are on the way.

7. Make Phone Numbers Required when Joining

Make Phone number required on the Join page. This is key for leaders to be able to get in touch with their participants.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Folder view of Documents Sort Order

When I open a list of documents, it seems to be in some random order and difficult to find certain documents when the list gets long. At a minimum, default document lists to alpha order. Possibly, sort folders to the top, but keep those in alpha order, too. A way to sort by date would also be nice. .

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The columns sort by default to the order items were added with the most recently added at the bottom. Clicking on a column header will forward sort by that column’s data, and clicking a second time on the same column header will reverse the sort.

9. Display dates of Submitted Leader Applications

The new Submitted Last Application page is very helpful. Thanks.

https://www.mountaineers.org/volunteer/volunteer-with-us/leader-applications/submitted-leader-applications

It would be very helpful to include the application date in the information shown to volunteers. Currently, for example, there are almost 200 Hike-Backpack Leader Applicates dating back about 5 years, but they are all displayed in a single very large last that shows only the applicant names. It's possible to learn the date of an application by clicking it a noting the timestamp in the URL, but many volunteers are not sufficiently tech-savvy to do that, and it's necessary to click on each application individually in order to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed Sep 2022. 

Notes:

- Added "Date Submitted" field to application forms and set its default to today's date. This data will be available to forms submitted from now on.

- Changed "Submitted Forms" buttons/links to be the folder contents view which has a "Last Modified Date" column, as close as we can get o s submitted date for the submitted forms folder. 

10. Leader resources tab

Can we have a leader resource stab which could outline:
    Master list of climbs
    Field Trip Lottery dates
    Shared resources like manuals, application drafts, graduation drafts, etc.
    Many more things I'm sure I haven't thought of...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Volunteers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add new brands on ExpertVoice

I love this perk and have used it 3 times already. My only complaint is that there needs to be new brands added on. I remember getting an email about a brand item only to find out it's not on The Mountaineers. How hard is it to add more?
    I know we all like different brands so I would hate to loose any just want more added in.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your note Vickie. We’re happy to hear that you are enjoying and taking advantage of the benefits offered through your membership. ExpertVoice has been one of our generous supporters for many years, and they offer discounts on brands for Mountaineers at two different levels: about 100 brands are available for members, and 300 brands are available for volunteers (who volunteer five or more days a year). ExpertVoice selects the different brands available at each tier. If you’d like to provide them with additional feedback, you can do so at https://www.expertvoice.com/contact.

12. Require Leaders to update their Waivers before listing a trip GH2429

Require Leaders to update their waivers before listing a trip. Right now this can be over-ridden by leaders which doesn't make sense since we want EVERYONE on the roster to have an up to date waiver.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add a skill to volunteer profile

Under Volunteer Profile, add a box for "Conflict resolution, mediation, or legal help" to recruit volunteers that can serve as neutral mediators in a conflict or a complaint situation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Tess Wendel responded

We now have a Attorney/Legal skill option AND a Mediation/Conflict Resolution skill listed in the Volunteer Profile

14. Roster change emails

When a leader gets an email notification about a participant change on their roster, it would be great if when the leader hits 'reply', the email would be redirected to that participant and not toinfo@mountaineers.org
    I'm finding that even with I'm signed in to the website in one window, when I click on the hyperlinked participant name in the email, another window opens and the website wants me to sign in again, which creates to many steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Tess Wendel responded

Hi Stevie,

Looks like we can’t get the reply to work like that since these notifications come from salesforce rather than plone which is how bulk roster emails from the site work.

However, it is possible for us to add a live link to the person’s email in the body of the notification for easy emailing in the notification so that has been added. You should see this live on any future roster change notifications.

15. We need to have short URLs that are easy to remember...

Right now, the URL to the individual activity committees (i.e. Photography) is super long and impossible to remember. Plus, there's no easy way to find these committees since they are not specifically listed under a branch or anywhere in the navigation (that I could find). For instance, the Photography committee's page URL is https://www.mountaineers.org/about/branches-committees/seattle-branch/committees/seattle-photography-committee. That is super long! We need a way to do short URLs that will get us to these pages. Using a short URL website like bit.ly would work, but the URLs don't make any sense, so no easier to remember.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The short URL for the Seattle Photography Committee’s page is mountaineers.org/seattle/photography.

We are happy to make these following this format on request son long as the committee’s web page is has up-to-date, well-formatted content.

16. Better links to committee pages

One thing that irks me is if I'm not logged into the website and try to find a committee page, it's impossible. You would think each committee would be listed under the branch, but that's not the case. If you click on the branch, you get their page/latest news, but no list of committees! If visitors to the site can't easily find the different committees, how can they really get an idea of what we each do?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

We’ve added links to branch pages under the learn section where committee material can be highlighted and in the course overview section we link back to branches and committee pages. Ie if you go to photography courses in course overviews and click the Seattle link it links to Seattle photography committee page.

17. Make names on roster open their profile so you can view all badges, activities and course history GH1490

When I click on participants names in the roster it only shows their
    basic profile data. When I click on names in the roster I'm doing it to
    see their recent activities and how much they have done recently. So I
    have to instead copy and past their name into the search button. Its
    time consuming doing this for a whole roster of names. Clicking the
    names in the roster should take you right to the profile screen where
    you can click someone's activities.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mileage and Elevation Gain modifications GH1474

Although Leaders can change the mileage and elevation of a trip they took instead of using the default route/place data, they currently have to do this by editing the "activity." It would be one-step easier if this was possible on the same page as when you "close out" the activity. Can we duplicate that data input there as well as in the activity template?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You may now update the mileage and elevation gain when closing an activity in addition to the trip results, participant results and volunteer hours. We also improved the instructions on the roster page, so it shoudl be much clearer how to close an activity.

19. When regional chairs offer to help a member with something, follow through!

I have a road trip to Zion coming up and would have liked to post as global activity. I have been a member for only one year so was unable to post. Tacoma Branch Chair offered to help any way he could and though I reached out twice, I received no follow through. Suggest:
    1. Changing rules for activity posts so those who have experience and good activities can communicate to others who may be interested in participating.
    2. If you are a in a lead position (regional chair) and offer your assistance, follow through to your membership community. It…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Chris corresponded with you about these issues. Please let us knwo if you need anything more.

20. Improve Drill Down Navigation in Left Side Bar

I waste a lot of time navigating up and down the hierarchy page-by-page. Certainly, the breadcrumbs and the navigation tree in the left side bar are a great help for more effecient navigation.

Unfortunately, the left sidebar is somewhat limited because at certain levels the expand/collapse arrows no longer work. For example,when you encounter "committees", you cannot drill down further. Instead, you must move your attention to the body of the page and choose a committee from there. Then the hierarchy in the side bar miraculously expands and you can continue drilling down from there. (Until you reach another committees…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As you noted, one can now drill down at the committee level. We cannot do this for the branch “home page” because branches requested a home page style that did NOT include the left navigation panel. You do get the lefty navigation back once you’ve gone to the Branch News, Courses & Activities or About Us page.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base