Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

87 results found

1. Add Email Alerts & Notifications Preferences to My Profile SD508/599/600/601

This could be allowing people to request an email notification for an activity or course when it becomes available. It could include notifications to committee chairs when leaders list activities sponsored by that committee. Please describe below what you'd specifically like to see as far as email notifications go that would help you sign up for the activities you want or help you manage your committee etc.

April Leader Survey showed interest in:

1. Ability to receive a calendar reminder when registration is opening for an activity

2. Ability to receive a reminder notification about your trip this weekend

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Make Peak Pins and other awards more public and interactive on the website

Make Peak Pin and Paddle pins public on the website so members can see all of the neat awards their fellow members have completed and/or are working on. Plus we need to have good descriptions of the requirements for each of the awards.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We just completed editing and publishing the award badges that existed on our old website. They are at Membership > Badges, https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/badges/award-peak-pin-badges.

There are two for which we need badge images. We should have those by the end of March.

We’ll next work on adding badges; including content, images and roster; for our organization and branch service awards. We do not yet have this scheduled.

Please take a look and let us know if you have any questions or find anything that needs corrected.

Thanks to all you helped us get these done!

3. Feature Request - Expiring Badge Notification ~SFOnly

As a user I would like to be notified prior to my badge expiring so that I can arrange to meet requirements or arrange for an extension given that I have a badge that has an expiration date. The problem to avoid is people losing their privileges without notice and being unpleasantly surprised.

Then, when the expiration date is within 90 and 30 days from expiring:

• A notification of what badge is about to expire and when will be sent to me (User) 90 days and 30 days prior to the expiration date.

• A notification will be sent to the…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Remember Me Checkbox on login screen GH1051

Add "Remember Me" option so that my login persists until I deliberately logout. Or maybe increase the expiration timer to 24 hours or something like that. I just get tired of logging in 10 or 15 times a day. I'm not that concerned about the security risk--what's a hacker going to do...sign me up for a course?

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

When you log in there is a box now that you can check that says “Keep me logged in.” Checking this box will keep you logged in for 30 days if you are simply closing your browser rather than logging out.

5. Add Pronoun Field to Profiles - Part 1 GH3031

We not only want people to be comfortable being themselves, but also to be celebrated for their identities and what makes them unique. In addition, we try to build a culture where we don’t make assumptions or pass judgment on each other. So if a person chooses to tell you their pronouns (in their profile or otherwise), they are simply letting you know how you can refer to them, without you having to make any assumptions.

Part 1 - Add pronoun field to profile edit form and profile display.

Part 2 - Add pronoun field to roster displays and downloads.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Redesign Website Header and Sitemap, and Integrate mountaineersbooks.org with mountaineers.org SD579

Redesign our website header so it is better for mid-size mobile devices and re-organize our site map so that it better includes features we've added since launch (e.g. selling books, find volunteers, lodges), etc. This will involve UX design and some graphic design work.

Add "Locations" to the top level and move Branches, Outdoor Centers and Program Centers there.

Selling eBooks, ability to use promo codes currently in use on mountaineersbooks.org (e.g. buy one get one free) and content migration (pages, blogs, calendars, etc.) are the key considerations. Integrating our two websites will eliminate confusion of where to purchase books,…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Remember me function on log in page is broken GH2020

"Remember me" on the log in page is not working and when I open new windows or close my browser I have to log in again.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now have this fixed. Please let us know if you have any issues with the “Keep me logged in” feature.

Remember that when you use this it will last for 30 days for each device/browser combination so long as you do not log out.

8. Waitlisted people can take themselves off a trip any time GH2131

I see why people signed up for a trip need to contact the leader to take themselves off a trip after signups for the trip has closed. However, I DON'T SEE why that applies for people who are merely waitlisted.
    What is the possible logic for this?? Especially since being waitlisted means you can't sign up for anything else at the same time. You need to contact the leader and then the leader, who may be away from email, needs to take them off. Especially since the closure period for some trips is way in advance of the trip.
    This…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Participants may now cancel from an activity if they are on the wailist and registration is closes.

9. Profile - improved clarity to user re what shows as public or private? GH1974

Might there be a better interface re our profiles that would make crystal clear to the user what information is kept private and what is viewable to Mountaineer members (public)?

**Update: Also would be good for leaders to be able to discern which members want their info private versus shared with our members. This means looking at how rosters show up for courses, activities and events for both participants and leaders.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Limit adding more than 1 duplicate profile and limiting duplicates overall GH3636

Member services has seen a significant increase in the overall number of duplicates in the past 6-12 months. This has meant there have been a significant increase in login troubles for members, an increase in login-related inquiries. Member services has also been unable to keep up with the constantly growing number of duplicate accounts. Since December 2020, we have seen approximately 3000 duplicate pairs emerge - that's approximately 1000 pairs or 500 duplicated accounts per month.

We believe there are a few things that could be done to reduce the number of duplicates overall.
    1. Prevent/block folks from adding more…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a filter for Cancelled Activities on My Activities page GH1325

Can we please get a sort or filter button on this page so that we don't have to view the canceled events?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Based on the original request and comments, we added “Show Canceled” checkbox, “Show waitlisted” checkbox and a date range filter. We did the same for the My Courses & Programs page. Go check it out!!

12. Clarify language for profile management when adding family member GH3554

We've received a number of calls lately from folks who have a family membership. They go to add an adult family member, but get stuck when they are required to select whether 'I will manage the account for the youth' or 'the youth will manage their own profile, but I will sign their waiver and manage their account.' It is confusing that they have to choose one of these options when they are not adding a youth family member to their account.

I think changing the language to something like these two options would suffice to reduce confusion:
    -This is…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add Mobile Responsive Theme SD295

I use the site all the time on my phone. Who doesn't these days?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We launched our website’s mobile responsive theme on Oct 4, 2016!

14. Only Count Trip, Clinic/Seminar Activities for Guest activity limit GH2769

We'd like new guest members to be able to sign up for courses that have two activities associated with them and be able to join for two regular hikes and right now the course related activities count towards your "guest count"

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix Email Timestamp for Message Sent from Website GH2292

It appears that when a leader sends an email from the team roster or anyone on the roister send an email from the tabbed nav roster that the timestamp on the email is eight hours earlier than when the email was actually sent. So it would seem that the website is sending the time as UTC rather than PST and the recipient's email server is converting that to PST (8 hours earlier than UTC).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Improve trip reports SD22

Improve trip reports by allowing date of trip and more photos, rich text, potential for an additional field.

Also want leaders to be able to submit trip reports that are linked to the activity as an official write up but also allow members to write trip reports.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed May 2016.

See new tech blog for details, choose View Trip Reports from the Explore menu to search them, or choose a route/place or activity where you were a participant to add one. Note that you can edit any that you have already submitted to take advantage of the new features.

17. Send "Your waiver is about to expire" email ~SFOnly

Send an automatic email out to folks before their waiver expires.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Duplicate Family Members GH2130

There is not a warning message or anything that prevents someone from using the "Add Family Member" button to create a duplicate account for someone who already has one on mountaineers.org. Right now family members can create an unlimited number of duplicate accounts. Can we add a pop-up warning message like we do on the regular Create Account page when a first name/last name/email match is made?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Stewardship How-to ~WebsiteContent

The Problem: There is currently nowhere (that I could find) on the website where it describes the specifics of getting the Stewardship credit. Result: hundreds of students have to e-mail info@mountaineers.org or call 206-521-6000, and some poor staffer has to answer / redirect the same questions, over and over.

Website has good descriptions of the badges and links to Mountaineers-sponsored activities, but there is nothing about the specific how-tos of who to contact or what documentation/photos/e-mail/whatever to be supplied.

So, there needs to be a page with that includes the following:
    - Stewardship contact
    - Expected documentation for stewardship activities,…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Tess Wendel responded

If you click on the stewardship credit badge you are taken to a page which describes how to earn the badge with us or with one of our partner organizations.

Note that with the recently launched development, the Stewardship Credit badge may now be awarded for successfully completing Stewardship activities through the mountaineers without having to email member services separately.

20. Make the "+more" Link More Obvious GH1485

We want to make the "+more" link on the activity and course detail pages more obvious so users see them and are more apt to use them. It could be a button, larger font or... We are open to suggestions. Please do add any you have to the comments.

Also, though many Routes & Places don't yet have lengthy descriptions, we may want to add a "+more" link or button to them too.

Example: https://www.mountaineers.org/explore/routes-places/the-tooth-south-face

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?