Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

741 results found

1. Allow primary leaders to uncheck their "show as contact" for an activity

Course and course lecture/field trip leaders are increasingly utilizing generic Committee profiles or Basic Course profiles as the Primary Leader for course related activities to make sharing the workload of answering participant questions and managing the rosters easier. Burnout is a common consideration I hear from leaders choosing to do this.

However we need real people to lead activities for many reasons, chief among them are:
    • Someone from The Mountaineers (or approved by us) needs to be on site and manage the participants.
    • Our emergency and leadership teams needs to know who is in charges in case an…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Road condition

It can be a little difficult to get a clear idea about road conditions from the activity description. It would be helpful if a section is added specifically for this purpose.

The description can include weather factors (such as snow, ice), road quality (fully paved, gravel, large potholes), and lastly type of cars preferred (accessible for all cars, accessible for 4WD, tire chains required).

This would help participants plan better, arrange carpools if needed. It would also reduce the need for organizers to respond to individual questions from participants regarding road conditions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion about creating a place to provide current road conditions. We already encourage our participants and leaders to submit trip reports from their adventures and they’re encouraged to “include info about trail, route, and waterway conditions, especially any hazards you may have encountered (or avoided) and anything that may be changing with the seasons or weather.” You can find the most recent trip reports by visiting our Routes & Places, finding your specific location of interest, and clicking on the blue tab for “Trip Reports” when you scroll down. Our partners at the Washington Trails Association (wta.org) also have robust trip reports where you can often find the most recent trip reports with road conditions.

3. Phone Hyperlink

Taking a phone call today from a member, they were frustrated that a when they viewed a phone number on mountaineers.org from their phone browser, they were not able to click on it and have it automatically call. They see this feature on other websites and would like to submit it for improvement for ours.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow committee roster sorting for those who are not admins GH3526

Roster sorting was disable in May, 2020. At that time the fix was only partial because sorting was re-enabled only for people with admin access to the roster. Prior to the May, 2020 breakage roster sorting worked for everyone. It would be nice to get that full functionality back again. Not every committee member has admin access yet many have a legitimate need to view the roster in sorted order.

See related feedback item from May 2020 and followup comment from December 2020: https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/40525171-alphabetical-sort-for-rosters-has-disappeared

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. SSO and Salesforce integration for MyTurn gear library database

We'll be transitioning to MyTurn in Fall 2021-Winter 2022 to manage our Gear Library inventory and lending. In an ideal world, I'd love to have SSO between MyTurn and The Mountaineers website, and to also have MyTurn data import into Salesforce so we can track lending against other member activity.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. In Stewardship Half Day template document the need for manual follow-up

After completing two "Stewardship Half Day" activities the participant is expected to send an email to info@mountaineers.org requesting their Stewardship badge. This fact was documented in a one-time email sent to activity chairs and some activity leaders when the new template was launched in November, 2020 (see attached pdf) but does not appear to be documented anywhere else. Moreover, people who post Stewardship Half Day activities are expected to include the need for manual follow-up in their activity descriptions, but that also appears to have been mentioned only in the one-time November email. As a result, Stewardship Half Day activities…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ability to bulk assign volunteer hours to participants to on an activity is complete (see   https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/41870725-assign-the-stewardship-credit-badge-based-on-stewa).

We'll review awarding the Stewardship badge based on stewardship volunteers hours this fall to give leaders time to adopt adding stewardship hours for all participants. When we do, we'll update all of the how-to and field help needed.

7. Allow Committee Admins to see all activities posted under its purview

As the chair of the scrambling committee and the course lead for scramble course, it is surprisingly difficult to know what activities are posted on behalf of my committee.

I can use the search Activities page to look for "Scrambling" activities for "Foothills" but there are other things we do on behalf of the committee that aren't scrambles and there's no easy way I know of to see those and access them.

A concrete example: I can only easily get to the rosters for the field trips I personally am on the roster for. If I have a leader leading…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the ability to provide reports to committee on demand from our Salesforce database, a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) platform. It has a much better and more flexible data reporting engine than our website which is a CMS (Content Management system).

We also have the ability to connect a Salesforce report to a Google sheet and share that with any of our volunteer administrators. These Google sheets may be refreshed periodically (daily, weekly, monthly) so they can be as up-to-date as needed.

If you need a one-time report or periodically updated report for your committee or branch, please send an email to our Member Services Team, info@mountaineers.org.

8. Rename "Exploring Nature" as "Nature hikes"

I'm a new member, having been unable to hike for years because of joint replacement surgeries. I am starting out with nature hikes because they are often less strenuous. It took awhile to find the right page, because the hikes were labeled "Exploring Nature." It would be easier to find this page if it were called "Nature hikes."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestions Susan. We selected the “Exploring Nature” title for anything that falls into this category, which does include hikes but also includes other things like photography outings, Mini Mountaineers trips, and forest bathing. Some of our hikes are categorized as Exploring Nature but all of our Exploring Nature activities are hikes. For that reason we need to decline this idea.

9. Show elevation gain and distance on search page for activities

Might not be applicable for all activity types, but it would be really helpful to see some basic stats for hiking, backpacking, and scrambling without needing to click on each activity. "Difficulty" isn't consistent enough. Technical for scrambling would also be nice. It would also be very helpful to allow filtering by distance/elevation

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Improve Route/Place Summary (aka Search Results) View GH3574

Given that our Routes & Places have grown to support a wider set of options and variations, and that they support both land and marine activities, it would be better to display the entire summary and remove the detailed info at right column in the summary (aka search results) view of a route/place. See the attached mock-up.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. RSS feed for Blog entries

An RSS feed is an easy way to allow readers to learn of and read blog entries without visiting the site. As it is, I don't remember to visit the site and check the blog often enough. My online reading is almost entirely through RSS feeds to the new sites and magazines I follow. Building an RSS feed is straightforward, does not have to display in the user interface, and requires no maintenance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

High Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add email alert for canceled activities

Seems as if several outings I was interested in for this summer have been canceled including one I was going to register for today. It would be great if a message about cancellations could go out in the same fashion as announcements for new activities so we don't hold dates open on our calendars or make travel arrangements for events which aren't taking place.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Trigger a notification for Senior Rate Eligibility when Members turn 65 ~Salesforce

Many members appreciate the convenience of the auto renewal feature for membership dues but for members who begin their enrollment at the Adult rate and turn 65 before card expiry, this may result in several years of paying at a higher rate than necessary. Including a notification on their 65th birthday, similar to the one sent out when members turn 18, will allow these members to make a fully informed decision about their options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Phone support for Elder members who do not use the internet

I often hear this feedback but I don't think I've done a great job documenting it, so here goes.
    Today I spoke with 50 year member Diana Edgar and I thanked her and let her know her of recent lifetime membership.

While we were speaking she shared how much she loved being a Mountaineer but she has felt so cut off lately because she doesn't know how she can participate when everything is online and she doesn't use email or a computer. She deeply wishes there was a way for her to sign up for activities that was easy for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Magnuson South Wall Climbing Reservations

This page has confused me a few times. The Seattle Park Department does not manage reservations. It would be nice to have updated information about the south wall here.

Open public use?
    Any reservation system?
    Bolted?
    Check for exclusive reservations, where?

https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/seattle-program-center/events/magnuson-reservation

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make it more clear that a member is under the age of 18

I can't guarantee that any of my volunteer instructors are "youth qualified" so it should be more clear on a member's profile that they are under the age of 18.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Rosters  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Response to feedback in an email

We still are constantly fighting to create a culture to provide more feedback, near misses, and such. If the feedback survey is short and also can be directly responded via email - we may see some more reports.
    Also, "please share why you choose above rating" questions don't return much responses and suggest combining it with "is there anything else that you'd like to add" or "do you have any additional comments about the learning environment" question with a change to the text to reflect the same.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

On Hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Feedback Surveys  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Searchable committee minutes

We hold meetings, take minutes, and archive them. The ability to search past minutes will be very useful. In fact, I think that searching for when the committee discussed some topic - and what was decided - will be the most common way that I reference our meeting minutes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The text files in all PDF files on our website are indexed and we can add a search portlet to any area of our website. If you have a committee or folder or anywhere else on our website within where this would be beneficial, please send an email to info@mountaineers.org.

Here are two examples of the search portlet in use:

Blog: https://www.mountaineers.org/blog

The Mountaineer Annuals: https://www.mountaineers.org/about/history/the-mountaineer-annuals

19. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Assign the Stewardship Credit Badge Based on Stewardship Activity Volunteer Hours

Once participants can more easily be assigned volunteer hours for participating in a stewardship activity (see Allow Participants to be Bulk Assigned Volunteer Hours, http://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/41829865-allow-participants-to-be-bulk-assigned-volunteer-h), assign (or remove) the Stewardship Credit badge based on having 8 or more stewardship volunteer hours in the last 365 days (removing this badge if a person has it and their stewardship volunteer hours are less than 8 in the last 365 days).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Activities  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ability to bulk assign volunteer hours to participants to on an   activity is complete *see  https://feedback.mountaineers.org/forums/273688-general-feedback/suggestions/41870725-assign-the-stewardship-credit-badge-based-on-stewa).

We'll review awarding the Stewardship badge based on stewardship volunteers hours this fall to give leaders time to adopt adding stewardship hours for all participants.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base