Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

19 results found

1. Ability to see 'what trips i have done with this person'

It would be great if I could look up a person, and see the trips i've done with them in the past, along with their badges. So many times, we end up playing the 'i've been out with you somewhere. were you on my Norse Peak trip? no? may be on Snoqualmie last year then?' :)

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Low Priority  ·  8 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow Members on Waitlist to sign up for Additional Outings

The system currently does not allow members to sign up for more than one outing. If you are on a waitlist, particularly if you are third or more on that list, I think the system should allow you to also sign up for another trip as backup. It seems unfair to force members to give up a potential spot on their preferred trip only to confirm on less preferred trip simply because of the system. Thank you.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Publicly accessible API

As a member of the Mountaineers, I'd love to give back in a way that I have particular expertise.

It would be great of the website had a public facing REST API for exposing data such as events and classes.

At least in a read capacity. My particular goal would be to write an Android (and possibly iOS) app to browse the events and what not.

It would be great to have easy native access to my up coming events, and be able to launch navigation to the event right from the app.

I have extensive experience writing and working…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Low Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Our Technology Advisory Committee has reviewed this topic. It is low priority because of the mobile responsive theme that we developed for our website and the concerns outlined by Eric in the comments on this idea.

4. Export feature for My Activities and My Courses and Programs lists

Add export features (to CSV or Excel) to enable members to easily export lists of Activities and Courses (historical and active/posted in the future). It could be similar to rosters Export option.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Automate updating profile URL when a member changes their name GH2910

Automatically update profile url when a member changes their name in the system to avoid negatively impacting people (one example of a demographic that could be negatively impacted is trans folks). Right now, if a member updates their name in the system, it updates everything except URL generation automatically. The user then has to personally email someone to manually update it. It would be good if this process was automated to decrease the need for this extra step.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There's not much need for this, because folks rarely change their name or need this. We can do these as needed and on request. If you need this, please send us an email at info@mountaineers.org. We'll do this by adding a new profile and merging it with your existing profile. You'll retain all your history, get the new name and URL, but will have to change your password.

6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add tracking mechanism to members page for mileage and altitude gained on club trips for yearly totals-ie:100,000ft gained, etc.

This would enhance club trip participation- esp among members that join groups like Meet Up and others. Would drive demand for more trips- esp hikes, hopefully driving more Leader participation as a result. It'd also be fun- great for bragging rights.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  5 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Gift Memberships for Renewals

Why are gift memberships restricted to new members? Every year I'm asked what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. It would be delightful if my family members could renew my Mountaineers membership. I get the benefir of the Mountaineers and my family gets the benefit of giving it to me. That certainly beats another tie. I prefer gifts which are not "things". I have enough possessions already.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Set focus to username field in login

Please set the "focus" to the first field "username” on the login page. It's a niggly little thing to have to proactively click into the box to type in it on every login.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Update Gift Memberships Pricing Portlets GH2926

Update portlet text for Gift Memberships to show new price. Right now on the gift membership page and on the next page it shows the original price for memberships, not the discounted gift price, and it should probably show the regular price crossed out with the gift price in red. So for the holidays (December) it will be 25% off, and for any time earlier it will be 15% off.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Table of badge dates

On the "My Activities" page there's a "Review Participation Notes" blue button. When I click on that and scroll all the way to the bottom it shows when my badges were added and when they expire. This table of dates is super handy, but having it located here is really klunky.

It seems like all this badge date info should be at the bottom of the "My Profile" page. It would also be nice to list along with the Expire date if it has expired but it's still in the grace period.

I know you already added a date tooltips…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Larger profile pictures

Our community is stronger when we connect with one another and when other members can learn more about you. So while we’re at it, how about allowing larger views of members’ profile photos? I was delighted when the member profile feature was added to the web site, enabling me to see who I’m going on a trip with; but what’s with the microscopic space allotted to the profile photo? I have a 34-inch monitor, yet members’ photos show up in a tiny 2-inch circle and I have to peer closely at the screen to make out any facial features. The…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. "Post a new idea..." confusion

I found the "Post a new idea..." link on this page (on the right, under "General Feedback") to be confusing. I expect a link to take me to a new page, but actually it was a no-op. I would suggest just eliminate that link.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an issue with UserVoice that we have pointed out ti them. If you need help adding a feedback idea or need support, please contact us at info@mountaineers.org or 206-521-6000.

14. Include full names in email address lists

When I get the list of email addresses for my activity, I would prefer to have the list include everyone's full name. For example, instead of
    person@gmail.com, person2@hotmail.com
    I would prefer to see
    "first last" person@gmail.com, "first2 last2" person2@hotmail.com
    Then I would have human-friendly names in my emails.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Online outdoor resume

I think that breaking down the various skills our courses teach is important and reiterate my support for "skill badges" that is already an idea in this system. However, I see benefit in creating a template that is populated with the skills a member has earned that takes the form of an outdoor resume people could download and modify. This could promote our efforts to make the burgeoning multi-billion-dollar outdoor industry accessible to the youth we serve (as well as help our members who are sick and tired of their current jobs and would love to make a career transition).…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add the Ability to Filter Activity Listing by Sponsoring Committee

Currently the activity listing can only be filtered by activity type and branch, but not by the sponsoring committee. In most cases this isn't a problem because the committee is the same as the activity type, but there are a few "community" committees, Retired Rovers, 20-30s Somethings, Singles. With the current system trips sponsored by these committees are basically impossible to find. The audience filters would work great for this, except that any trip can pick any of them, so most trips pick more than one.

Can we either have:
    1) A way to filter the activity results by the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make ALL Text in theLeft Navigation Column White GH1691

The red (private), yellow (pending) and purple (shard with committee) are difficult to read on a light blue background and are distracting. Make all the text in the left navigation column white, no matter its state.

Not: We'll keep the colors in the folder contents view.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make Mountaineers e-newsletters come from different email than activity emails

It's helpful for me to be able to sort through activity related emails separately than e-newsletters. Maybe make these come through as activities@mountaineers.org versus info@mountaineers.org

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We discussed and determined that our current infrastructure is best with just one address for our email newsletters, confirmations and notifications.

19. Add a RENEW option to Join page

A member recently suggested this to me and I completely love the idea. They thought that when you click “Join The Mountaineers”, one of the options should be “Renew”. Currently, there’s nothing on the page that indicates to people that if they are already a member they need to log in and go to their profile to renew. The Join page has a blank square that is practically begging for us to add a “renew” option, as demonstrated in the attached pic.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base