Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

140 results found

1. Automate updating profile URL when a member changes their name GH2910

Automatically update profile url when a member changes their name in the system to avoid negatively impacting people (one example of a demographic that could be negatively impacted is trans folks). Right now, if a member updates their name in the system, it updates everything except URL generation automatically. The user then has to personally email someone to manually update it. It would be good if this process was automated to decrease the need for this extra step.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There's not much need for this, because folks rarely change their name or need this. We can do these as needed and on request. If you need this, please send us an email at info@mountaineers.org. We'll do this by adding a new profile and merging it with your existing profile. You'll retain all your history, get the new name and URL, but will have to change your password.

2. Update Gift Memberships Pricing Portlets GH2926

Update portlet text for Gift Memberships to show new price. Right now on the gift membership page and on the next page it shows the original price for memberships, not the discounted gift price, and it should probably show the regular price crossed out with the gift price in red. So for the holidays (December) it will be 25% off, and for any time earlier it will be 15% off.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Exception for seniors.

Exception for seniors.
    Reference: BAKER’S DOZEN Offered by the Bellingham Branch, asks that you climb no more than 5 peaks per year to achieve this, but since I will be just short of 65 next year when I attempt it, I was wondering if an exception might be made for seniors, since we may not live long enough for multi-year attempts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Only Count Trip, Clinic/Seminar Activities for Guest activity limit GH2769

We'd like new guest members to be able to sign up for courses that have two activities associated with them and be able to join for two regular hikes and right now the course related activities count towards your "guest count"

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add filters to the My Activities page GH2799

Filters to add include Activity Type, Trip Result, Participant Role, and Participant Result. This is useful for leaders to review participant activity info for leader's permission requests. It is also useful for helping keep committee rosters up-to-date.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a Calendar View of the My Activities Page SD411

As a logged in member or guest, allow me choose a calendar view/display of the My Activities page where I can see all of my activities on a calendar and subscribe to an iCal feed of my activities and events so that I can better manage my schedule.

NOTES:
    Ideally we'd continue to have one My Activities page and add "buttons" to toggle between the "List" and "Calendar" views, even though they may be two different pages/links.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  9 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add Pronoun Field to Profiles - Part 1 GH3031

We not only want people to be comfortable being themselves, but also to be celebrated for their identities and what makes them unique. In addition, we try to build a culture where we don’t make assumptions or pass judgment on each other. So if a person chooses to tell you their pronouns (in their profile or otherwise), they are simply letting you know how you can refer to them, without you having to make any assumptions.

Part 1 - Add pronoun field to profile edit form and profile display.

Part 2 - Add pronoun field to roster displays and downloads.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Functionality for youth in family memberships who age out GH2747/2773

When a youth who is a Mountaineers member turns 18, they should receive a "happy birthday" email (with the primary account holder copied) saying:
    "Happy birthday! We're so grateful that you and your family have given The Mountaineers a chance to play a role in your formative years. We hope you feel like you're part of the family. We know that your late teens and early 20's are busy years. We hope you can still stay involved, but even if life takes you on new adventures, we want you to know that we still consider you part of our family,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add Financial Assistance Link on Course/Activity Layout GH2749

Should say "Apply for Financial Assistance"
    We'd also like to move the Cancellation and Refund link below Availability so we have text that breaks up the two links.

https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/financial-assistance

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create "Trip Reporter" Badge ~WebsiteContent

What if we created a “Trip Reporter” badge (or some such name) to award to folks who leave 5+ trip reports a year? This would encourage more people to leave trip reports, and help with our goals to gamify membership engagement.

Here's a good trip reporter example: https://www.mountaineers.org/members/dave-morgan/trip-reports

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Deceased member information ~Salesforce

What needs to happen to membership accounts when a member passing- including but not limited to unsubscribe from emails, change contact for communication on membership etc.

○ If part of a family membership, adjust as needed for the survivor(s)
    ○ Set membership expiration to the date when marked as deceased
    ○ Unsubscribe from all email newsletters
    ○ Unsubscribe from magazine mailing if not part of a family membership
    ○ Remove from all committees

Salesforce:
    ○ Set Email Opt Out to True

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make it possible to add merchandise when renewing or buying a membership or gift membership GH2754

It'd be neat to be able to buy a mountaineers hat or pint glass when joining and/or buying a gift membership for someone.

You might also like section should show up on Join the Mountaineers page in addition to showing on the shopping cart.

Similar set up for gift memberships

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Gallery View: Slide Show and Grid View SD631

Add slide show and grid view to galleryview for folders (not Book and Merchnadise details pages):

Slide Show: Add a slide show selector to galleryview with full screen, timer and left/right arrow controls.If there are videos (or any non-image content) in the folder, skip them.

Grid View: Add a grid selector and display a grid of thumbnails in galeryview. Open the image in a popup overlaying the grid/page when clicked. Close the popup via an "X" in the upper right of the image popup (and maybe left/right arrows on the popup?).

Image Download Note: Though it's worth noting that currently…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Connect Senior Household Memberships

Add functionality to connect Senior households memberships where both people in the household can switch between accounts, just like Family accounts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Medium Priority  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We have a number of critical items currently on our high priority list, and while this would certainly be a benefit for our senior members, this project does not yet have enough votes to warrant higher prioritization, and, because it’s an improvement to existing functionality, we must prioritize it below things which need to be fixed or built for the first time.

16. My Gallery

Add a My Gallery section to My Profile that where I can upload photos and where photos I've uploaded to the the website in other areas like Trip Reports are displayed.

Ideally all photos I've added would be displayed by default, but I would be able to choose to hide certain ones from My Gallery even though they would still be displayed elsewhere on the website.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Have a couple of pages in the magazine to post gear for sale - would be a great service to both seller and buyer

Have a couple of pages in the magazine to post gear for sale - would be a great service for both seller and buyer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Tess Wendel responded

Hi Sharon,
    Right now our magazine only comes out quarterly which means if you want something to show up for Spring magazine (mar/april/may). you have to have your gear contribution in by January 1. This is a long time to plan out selling something. After talking with additional folks interested in selling gear we’ve determined that gear sellers need to be able to have a more timely place to advertise gear. There is also no way to indicate that gear has been sold.

We encourage folks to use Mountaineers Marketplace "https://www.facebook.com/groups/377304859047281/

18. Leader Permission Links

Posting on behalf of a Mountaineer Leader.

The location of the "Request Leader's Permission" link is very confusing because it looks as if permission is required to be a leader of the trip rather than a participant.

What's more confusing is that the screenshot is from this trip to Lila Lakehttps://www.mountaineers.org/explore/activities/backpack-lila-lake-1, which is not set up to have any any assistant leaders, so one wonders why "leader prerequisites" are shown at all. I thought I might be seeing a different screen because I am a backpack leader, but the screen looks the same when viewed in incognito mode…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our member services team has not received additional feedback from our members that this is an issue. If in the future we receive feedback about this we can re-open this idea.

19. Add a My Blog Posts Page GH2829

Add a "My Blog Posts" page to the My Profile area so that members can find their own blog posts and blog posts by their favorite member bloggers more easily.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a My Trip Reports Page GH2419 & 2631

Add a "My Trip Reports" page to the My Profile area so that members can find their own trip reports and trip reports by others easier.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base