Skip to content

General Feedback

This forum is for you to share ideas and exchange feedback with Mountaineers members, guests, volunteers, and leadership. You may vote for or comment on any idea and will be notified of its status changes. Your feedback helps us prioritize projects and improvements for our organization.

We receive lots of great ideas, so please search the forum before adding a new one. If your idea is not yet in our forum, please post it with a simple title and an explanation, and how it could benefit The Mountaineers. If you want to learn more about what we've already implemented and what is up next, please visit our Technology Blog. Thank you for your participation!

Please note that all our courses, events, trips, course-related activities, clinics, seminars, and lodge stays have forms for you to give feedback when you participate. You’ll get an email reminder to do so just after the activity. If your feedback is of urgent nature it may be best to contact the chair of the committee that sponsors that program directly. Not sure who the chair is? Visit our Committee Chair Directory or contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.

If there was a safety incident or near miss, you will have the opportunity for submitting an Incident Report after submitting activity feedback. You may also use the Incident Report button on the activity detail page (from your My Activities page) or contact our Safety Committee directly at safety@mountaineers.org.

If you reached this site wanting to report problem behavior or harassment by another member, please submit a Behavior Complaint Form.

If you purchased books or merchandise and checked out or donated without having first logged into an account, we started an account for you. You can obtain the username and choose a password by using our reset password feature. If you need more help, please contact our Member Services Team at info@mountaineers.org.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

140 results found

1. Feature Request - Expiring Badge Notification ~SFOnly

As a user I would like to be notified prior to my badge expiring so that I can arrange to meet requirements or arrange for an extension given that I have a badge that has an expiration date. The problem to avoid is people losing their privileges without notice and being unpleasantly surprised.

Then, when the expiration date is within 90 and 30 days from expiring:

• A notification of what badge is about to expire and when will be sent to me (User) 90 days and 30 days prior to the expiration date.

• A notification will be sent to the…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Make Peak Pins and other awards more public and interactive on the website

Make Peak Pin and Paddle pins public on the website so members can see all of the neat awards their fellow members have completed and/or are working on. Plus we need to have good descriptions of the requirements for each of the awards.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

We just completed editing and publishing the award badges that existed on our old website. They are at Membership > Badges, https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/badges/award-peak-pin-badges.

There are two for which we need badge images. We should have those by the end of March.

We’ll next work on adding badges; including content, images and roster; for our organization and branch service awards. We do not yet have this scheduled.

Please take a look and let us know if you have any questions or find anything that needs corrected.

Thanks to all you helped us get these done!

3. Tailor receipt (thank you) page messages to items purchased SD344

Add six rich text fields to the Thank You page for each of these item types: membership, course, activity, book, merchandise, donation. Each field would be displayed if the shopping cart contains and item of its type.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Save Credit Card Info for Purchases SD328

Allow members and guests to save credit card info when checking out and use saved credit card info to pay when checking out. We should allow multiple cards, choice of which one to use when checking out, ability to update (usually expiration date and CCV), remove, or add from the Shopping Cart. Allow the user to update, remove and add credit card info from their My Profile area too. We need to consider the implications to the recurring payments (automatic annual dues and monthly donations) too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Remember Me Checkbox on login screen GH1051

Add "Remember Me" option so that my login persists until I deliberately logout. Or maybe increase the expiration timer to 24 hours or something like that. I just get tired of logging in 10 or 15 times a day. I'm not that concerned about the security risk--what's a hacker going to do...sign me up for a course?

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  Garrett Arnold responded

When you log in there is a box now that you can check that says “Keep me logged in.” Checking this box will keep you logged in for 30 days if you are simply closing your browser rather than logging out.

6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Exception for seniors.

Exception for seniors.
    Reference: BAKER’S DOZEN Offered by the Bellingham Branch, asks that you climb no more than 5 peaks per year to achieve this, but since I will be just short of 65 next year when I attempt it, I was wondering if an exception might be made for seniors, since we may not live long enough for multi-year attempts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Functionality for youth in family memberships who age out GH2747/2773

When a youth who is a Mountaineers member turns 18, they should receive a "happy birthday" email (with the primary account holder copied) saying:
    "Happy birthday! We're so grateful that you and your family have given The Mountaineers a chance to play a role in your formative years. We hope you feel like you're part of the family. We know that your late teens and early 20's are busy years. We hope you can still stay involved, but even if life takes you on new adventures, we want you to know that we still consider you part of our family,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add Financial Assistance Link on Course/Activity Layout GH2749

Should say "Apply for Financial Assistance"
    We'd also like to move the Cancellation and Refund link below Availability so we have text that breaks up the two links.

https://www.mountaineers.org/membership/financial-assistance

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make it possible to add merchandise when renewing or buying a membership or gift membership GH2754

It'd be neat to be able to buy a mountaineers hat or pint glass when joining and/or buying a gift membership for someone.

You might also like section should show up on Join the Mountaineers page in addition to showing on the shopping cart.

Similar set up for gift memberships

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create "Trip Reporter" Badge ~WebsiteContent

What if we created a “Trip Reporter” badge (or some such name) to award to folks who leave 5+ trip reports a year? This would encourage more people to leave trip reports, and help with our goals to gamify membership engagement.

Here's a good trip reporter example: https://www.mountaineers.org/members/dave-morgan/trip-reports

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Medium Priority  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Deceased member information ~Salesforce

What needs to happen to membership accounts when a member passing- including but not limited to unsubscribe from emails, change contact for communication on membership etc.

○ If part of a family membership, adjust as needed for the survivor(s)
    ○ Set membership expiration to the date when marked as deceased
    ○ Unsubscribe from all email newsletters
    ○ Unsubscribe from magazine mailing if not part of a family membership
    ○ Remove from all committees

Salesforce:
    ○ Set Email Opt Out to True

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Redesign Website Header and Sitemap, and Integrate mountaineersbooks.org with mountaineers.org SD579

Redesign our website header so it is better for mid-size mobile devices and re-organize our site map so that it better includes features we've added since launch (e.g. selling books, find volunteers, lodges), etc. This will involve UX design and some graphic design work.

Add "Locations" to the top level and move Branches, Outdoor Centers and Program Centers there.

Selling eBooks, ability to use promo codes currently in use on mountaineersbooks.org (e.g. buy one get one free) and content migration (pages, blogs, calendars, etc.) are the key considerations. Integrating our two websites will eliminate confusion of where to purchase books,…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Leader Permission Links

Posting on behalf of a Mountaineer Leader.

The location of the "Request Leader's Permission" link is very confusing because it looks as if permission is required to be a leader of the trip rather than a participant.

What's more confusing is that the screenshot is from this trip to Lila Lakehttps://www.mountaineers.org/explore/activities/backpack-lila-lake-1, which is not set up to have any any assistant leaders, so one wonders why "leader prerequisites" are shown at all. I thought I might be seeing a different screen because I am a backpack leader, but the screen looks the same when viewed in incognito mode…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Jeff Bowman responded

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our member services team has not received additional feedback from our members that this is an issue. If in the future we receive feedback about this we can re-open this idea.

15. Add a My Trip Reports Page GH2419 & 2631

Add a "My Trip Reports" page to the My Profile area so that members can find their own trip reports and trip reports by others easier.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Table of badge dates

On the "My Activities" page there's a "Review Participation Notes" blue button. When I click on that and scroll all the way to the bottom it shows when my badges were added and when they expire. This table of dates is super handy, but having it located here is really klunky.

It seems like all this badge date info should be at the bottom of the "My Profile" page. It would also be nice to list along with the Expire date if it has expired but it's still in the grace period.

I know you already added a date tooltips…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Low Priority  ·  1 comment  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve relevance of Branch News page

The Branch landing page presents a newsfeed (blog) over which the branch has little control and does not make a very useful "home' or "welcoming" page for branch.

Ideally,branches should be able to design/manage landing pages to their liking, but that's another story.

Short of that, I request a better way to prioritize the blogs that appear on that page. As it stands, the page intermixes blogs submitted by the branch with blogs submitted by staff and others. The problem is that the volume of blogs originating from others overwhelms those originating from the branch, causing them to scroll off…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Managing the blog posts and events branch pages is a team sport. We don’t tag everything to the branch pages, but with organization-wide things that are important for our members we do post them to the branch pages. We do so because assume some people visit only their branch page and don’t always visit our home page.

The design of the branch pages was requested and approved by all our branch’s leadership. Changing their design requires the same level of consideration and approval. At this point, we don’t see a desire for making changes from our branch leaders, but please do send any suggestions to your branch chair so they can bring them before their fellow branch leaders.

18. Fix Email Timestamp for Message Sent from Website GH2292

It appears that when a leader sends an email from the team roster or anyone on the roister send an email from the tabbed nav roster that the timestamp on the email is eight hours earlier than when the email was actually sent. So it would seem that the website is sending the time as UTC rather than PST and the recipient's email server is converting that to PST (8 hours earlier than UTC).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Members  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Integrate Salesforce with Acumatica

The current process involves manual assignment of revenue codes for memberships, courses, etc., a time-consuming task that is subject to inconsistent interpretation and error. Integration would automate this process, reducing time spent entering data and improve the accuracy of our data. We'd also like to sync (or be able use an export-import process) to transfer data from SF to Acumatica.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Waitlisted people can take themselves off a trip any time GH2131

I see why people signed up for a trip need to contact the leader to take themselves off a trip after signups for the trip has closed. However, I DON'T SEE why that applies for people who are merely waitlisted.
    What is the possible logic for this?? Especially since being waitlisted means you can't sign up for anything else at the same time. You need to contact the leader and then the leader, who may be away from email, needs to take them off. Especially since the closure period for some trips is way in advance of the trip.
    This…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Participants may now cancel from an activity if they are on the wailist and registration is closes.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base